Author Topic: Correct Clothing for the occasion - a plea for saving my sanity.  (Read 9999 times)

msulinski

Re: Correct Clothing for the occasion - a plea for saving my sanity.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 02:04:39 PM »
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that I said men can't dress themselves. Certainly there are those who can. What I said (or at least what I intended to say), is that I don't believe that men whose wives/girlfriends/mothers dress them end up looking very good. I realize that a lot of the time this happens out of necessity, when some men (as in the OPs case) refuse to put any effort in their appearance.

msulinski

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
I am trying to provide some guidance about what looks good. I truly don't mean any offense by this, but I think a man can only look so good when he is dressed by his wife/girlfriend/mother.

You may not have intended it, but this remark does offend me.

I actively seek out input from my wife regarding what to wear for certain events, and I don't think that in any way makes me look less good than if I'd decided entirely on my own what to wear.

Seeking input from a spouse is different. I do this as well. I was referring to situations where one's spouse picks out her husband's entire outfit.

gmatoy

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »

I live in the US too, and black seems to be the most popular suit color I've seen around here. As far as what colors to wear with it, I find black far more versatile (and shades of black, like charcoal). I never wear navy because almost nothing looks good with it but white.

Daisy, My job interview suit is navy. I pair it with white, pale blue, and fuchsia or hot pink or pale pink, depending on the type of job. I was hired for a job in an art type of environment because I chose the fuchsia blouse.  I realize that might not work for men, but your name made me think you might be female. Even if you didn't want a suit of navy, knowing what colors with which navy could be paired might make a skirt or pair of slacks in navy a more practical choice.

Also, while I do not wear green since getting out of the Army, a friend of mine wears green with her navy suit and it totally works for her.

msulinski

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 02:12:20 PM »

I live in the US too, and black seems to be the most popular suit color I've seen around here. As far as what colors to wear with it, I find black far more versatile (and shades of black, like charcoal). I never wear navy because almost nothing looks good with it but white.

Daisy, My job interview suit is navy. I pair it with white, pale blue, and fuchsia or hot pink or pale pink, depending on the type of job. I was hired for a job in an art type of environment because I chose the fuchsia blouse.  I realize that might not work for men, but your name made me think you might be female. Even if you didn't want a suit of navy, knowing what colors with which navy could be paired might make a skirt or pair of slacks in navy a more practical choice.

Also, while I do not wear green since getting out of the Army, a friend of mine wears green with her navy suit and it totally works for her.

I missed this one. I agree that navy looks good with just about anything. A navy suit with a white, light blue, mid-blue, pink etc shirt looks great. I don't think the same can be said for black. Also, navy suits allow more versatility in terms of shoe color. Black, brown and burgundy shoes all look good with navy. For black suits, you are pretty much stuck with black shoes.

NutellaNut

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 02:22:49 PM »
Msulinski, it's interesting you feel black isn't common in menswear in the US.  In the three major US cities I've lived and worked in as an adult, black (and related shades up to charcoal) is a very commonly worn color for men, suits through more casual pants.  It's a very versatile neutral, going well with many colors - clear brights or even more muted colors with the right shade of black.  If you go by what is being offered in stores, the men's department in most stores in my current area are a positive sea of blacks. 

OP, I agree with previous posters - help your guy pick out a couple pairs of pants - black/charcoal/khaki/other neutral that looks good for him - and a few shirts that coordinate.  Then maybe he'll have an idea what will work for those in-between events.

Anyone remember Garanimals clothing line?  When I was a kid you just had to match the tags, and you knew it would coordinate,  Sometimes I kind of wish they would make an adult version.  :)

msulinski

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »
Msulinski, it's interesting you feel black isn't common in menswear in the US.  In the three major US cities I've lived and worked in as an adult, black (and related shades up to charcoal) is a very commonly worn color for men, suits through more casual pants.  It's a very versatile neutral, going well with many colors - clear brights or even more muted colors with the right shade of black.  If you go by what is being offered in stores, the men's department in most stores in my current area are a positive sea of blacks. 

Referring to black being common, I was referring specifically suits. I do see a lot of black pants, but not a lot of black suits. And by black, I mean black, not gray and charcoal. I guess we disagree that black goes with everything well. It can have the tendency to take on a greenish cast in fluorescent lighting, which is how most office buildings are lit. I also think it can wash out many complexions, and drains the colors around it.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
Regarding black, I'm not sure where you live, but in the US, almost no one wears black suits to work. They are also not very versatile, especially compared to navy or charcoal. Black is very severe, looks bad in daylight, and can wash out many complexions.

It also limits the choices of shirts. You pretty much have white and maybe light blue. A lot of other colors don't look great with black. Same with ties. Would you wear a brown tie with a black suit? Charcoal and navy dial down the severity and allow for more color combinations that look good.

With black pants or a suit, you have one option for shoes: black. Brown shoes with black pants looks terrible.

Please don't speak for the whole US. I've been working in professional environments in the US for almost 30 years; black is extremely commonplace. And truth be told, I disagree with your other statements regarding black clothing as well. Many colors look great with black.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 02:49:00 PM »
I truly don't mean any offense by this, but I think a man can only look so good when he is dressed by his wife/girlfriend/mother.

I stand corrected. I obviously missed the operative word. My apologies.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

BioformCassie

• My Etsy Store
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »
Anyone remember Garanimals clothing line?  When I was a kid you just had to match the tags, and you knew it would coordinate,  Sometimes I kind of wish they would make an adult version.  :)

Kind of off topic but the creator of that line is color blind. So he designed the clothes that way so he would know which ones went together. I think that's pretty awesome.

Xandraea

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 02:58:34 PM »

Black goes with every color imaginable, not only white or light blue.  Black along with brighter colors when done right can look very sharp.  I've no clue, msulinski, where you get the idea that wearing black would limit color choices in any way.  Also, every man I've ever known owns black shoes, often in several degrees of formality, from dress to office to casual.

*snip*
OP, I would urge you to seek men's style advice outside of this forum, as you are not likely to get any adivce from well-dressed men. The previously-mentioend askandyaboutclothes.com and styleforum.net are good places to go.

There are men who read and comment on Ehell, and to assume they know nothing about appropriate style is indeed insulting and offensive.  As others have stated, it is wise to avoid making sweeping generalizations.

OP, WillyNilly's suggestion of slacks is a good one, and others have given good tips as well.  Perhaps once your husband has some pieces in his wardrobe that are between a full suit and jeans, it'll be easier for him to choose appropriate dress for all occasions.  By the way, have you seen closet rod labels? You could help him section off his closet into categories to make it even easier to choose!   http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/hangers/hangerAccessories?productId=10020983

Also, NutellaNut, Garanimals   ;D   And BioformCassie, I didn't know that little fact, but that is awesome! What a perfect solution for colorblindness.  I have a few colorblind friends who would probably appreciate such a system in their grown-up clothes.

MurPl1

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
I'm not sure why everyone thinks that I said men can't dress themselves. Certainly there are those who can. What I said (or at least what I intended to say), is that I don't believe that men whose wives/girlfriends/mothers dress them end up looking very good. I realize that a lot of the time this happens out of necessity, when some men (as in the OPs case) refuse to put any effort in their appearance.

Yeah, here's the thing - that's just as offensive a generalization.

MurPl1

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »

DH calls Mens Warehouse Garanimals for Men.  Because they will hook you up with a suit, three shirts and 2 ties that all go.  Provided you stick them in the closet together, you don't even need to add the Blue Giraffe tag. ;)

msulinski

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

Black goes with every color imaginable, not only white or light blue.  Black along with brighter colors when done right can look very sharp.  I've no clue, msulinski, where you get the idea that wearing black would limit color choices in any way.  Also, every man I've ever known owns black shoes, often in several degrees of formality, from dress to office to casual.

*snip*
OP, I would urge you to seek men's style advice outside of this forum, as you are not likely to get any adivce from well-dressed men. The previously-mentioend askandyaboutclothes.com and styleforum.net are good places to go.

There are men who read and comment on Ehell, and to assume they know nothing about appropriate style is indeed insulting and offensive.  As others have stated, it is wise to avoid making sweeping generalizations.

Regarding the bolded comment, I am sure there are some on this forum that may know something about dressing well, but there are many more who don't, so the good advice will get lost among the not so good.

This thread is a case in point. I am the only one speaking out against black. I know saying that black doesn't look good in most situations sounds shocking to many when they first hear it. I can assure you however, that this is an established rule in the realm of classic menswear, at least in the Western world. If someone spends a little time researching he/she is likely to find evidence to support this. The earlier-mentioned forums are good places to start. There are also numerous books about menswear for those interested.

One can certainly "get away" with wearing black suits and pants and whatever, but it is seldom the best choice. Most of the best dressed out there (again, in the context of classic menswear, which I assume is what the OP is asking about) are not wearing black except when in a tuxedo.

As for black shoes, I don't disagree with you. I was writing about black suits, pants and sportcoats. I still think brown shoes are better than black in casual situations, however.

Goosey

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »
I personally see a lot of men in black suits and the only thing I've ever thought is that they look sharp.

Brown doesn't look good on everyone.