Author Topic: Correct Clothing for the occasion - a plea for saving my sanity.  (Read 10439 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Correct Clothing for the occasion - a plea for saving my sanity.
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
My ex was a horrible dresser, also.  He would never change clothes when he came home from work, so many a nice shirt I bought him wound up with grease stains or grass stains.  I just finally quit buying him anything.  He is also built oddly, with broad shoulders and a largeish belly, so that pull-over shirts hit him above his navel and looked really stupid, as he refused to see he needed a larger size.  One time we were in Toronto to see a show, and he dressed in a nice suit he'd brought...and nasty old Hush Puppy loafers without socks.    ???  He had not packed dress shoes and by the time I realized it, we were running late for the show, no time to go shopping.  He is famous for wearing jeans and sneakers to church and funerals, etc.  Being with him was really embarrassing sometimes, and he refused to listen to my advice.

This man also hated to shave, so he often went around with that three-day beard growth thing.  OK in the eighties when Don Johnson sported it, not OK for him or for modern times.

I don't know what to advise, but you have my complete empathy and understanding!

How interesting!  We were married to the same person!!!!   ;D

Mine was just really, really devoted to his high-water pants. I mean, I'm 4 inches shorter, with legs that are short for my height, and I wear my inseam 2 inches longer than he does. I may not have much room to talk, though, as my fondness for paisley made his retinas burn, I think.

msulinski

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »
I missed this one. I agree that navy looks good with just about anything. A navy suit with a white, light blue, mid-blue, pink etc shirt looks great. I don't think the same can be said for black. Also, navy suits allow more versatility in terms of shoe color. Black, brown and burgundy shoes all look good with navy. For black suits, you are pretty much stuck with black shoes.

My brain just exploded.  I disagree vehemently.  The only shoes that look good with navy, are navy.  Or cream/white, but on men this can look a bit pimp.

I'm not sure I am even allowed to post in this thread anymore, but since posters keep responding to my posts, I guess I'll reply.

I just can't see how you think that the only shoes that look good with navy suits are navy. That is silly. Navy suits are classic businesswear for men. Navy shoes are not. I know of every few manufacturers who even make navy shoes. Go into a decent men's shoe store and look at dress shoes. You will see black, brown, and, to a lesser extent, burgundy. You will have a hard time finding a navy pair in a conservative style appropriate for business. What color shoes do you think all of those men are wearing when they wear their navy suits?

My ex told me that there is a Dude Fashion Rule that you can't wear brown with navy, which surprised me because I think (just instinctively, without referring to any fashion rules) that the colors look good together. That, along with some other rules he had about ties and such, convinced me that there are Dude Fashion Rules I simply don't know. He always wore high-water pants, though, so who knows.

There are a whole bunch of guy rules that many do not know (including a lot of guys), but not pairing brown with navy is definitely not one of them. If anything, these "rules" encourage pairing brown and navy. There is the color wheel to back this up. Many fashion/style articles on color combinations recommend pairing complementary colors (those opposite on the color wheel). Blue and brown are essentially on opposite sides, thus optimal for pairing.

Figgie

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »
My spouse, while not color-blind, is unable to distinguish shades of color.  Which means that something that is pretty obviously blue looks purple to him.  And something that is green will look gray.  This means that he has learned to ask me before trying new color combinations.  :)

He memorizes which color shirts goes with which color pants, but he does need help whenever he buys anything that is a new color.  He is always dressed appropriately for social situations and usually the only question he asks is if he needs to wear his tuxedo or not.  He doesn't remember the rules for when a suit is acceptable and when a tuxedo is necessary.  :)

Goosey

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
I missed this one. I agree that navy looks good with just about anything. A navy suit with a white, light blue, mid-blue, pink etc shirt looks great. I don't think the same can be said for black. Also, navy suits allow more versatility in terms of shoe color. Black, brown and burgundy shoes all look good with navy. For black suits, you are pretty much stuck with black shoes.

My brain just exploded.  I disagree vehemently.  The only shoes that look good with navy, are navy.  Or cream/white, but on men this can look a bit pimp.

I'm not sure I am even allowed to post in this thread anymore, but since posters keep responding to my posts, I guess I'll reply.

I just can't see how you think that the only shoes that look good with navy suits are navy. That is silly. Navy suits are classic businesswear for men. Navy shoes are not. I know of every few manufacturers who even make navy shoes. Go into a decent men's shoe store and look at dress shoes. You will see black, brown, and, to a lesser extent, burgundy. You will have a hard time finding a navy pair in a conservative style appropriate for business. What color shoes do you think all of those men are wearing when they wear their navy suits?

My ex told me that there is a Dude Fashion Rule that you can't wear brown with navy, which surprised me because I think (just instinctively, without referring to any fashion rules) that the colors look good together. That, along with some other rules he had about ties and such, convinced me that there are Dude Fashion Rules I simply don't know. He always wore high-water pants, though, so who knows.

There are a whole bunch of guy rules that many do not know (including a lot of guys), but not pairing brown with navy is definitely not one of them. If anything, these "rules" encourage pairing brown and navy. There is the color wheel to back this up. Many fashion/style articles on color combinations recommend pairing complementary colors (those opposite on the color wheel). Blue and brown are essentially on opposite sides, thus optimal for pairing.

But navy leans more black-blue than brown-blue?

goldilocks

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »
I have to share my story.    My husband also believes jeans are appropriate for any occasion.

My 6 year-old GD was in a ballet, at the local performing arts center.   This was during deer hunting season.   Seats were assigned, not general seating.

DH comes home and announces he's not changing from his camo.  I threw a fit - told him to put on some dress clothes (slacks and nice shirt).  We compromised on jeans and nice shirt.

We get to the center and I get a phone call just as we are entering.  I stayed in the lobby to take the call and he and my daughter go to get seated.  A few minutes later, daughter comes to the lobby as I'm finishing up my phone call.

She says - you are not going to believe this.  Stepdad is sitting right beside a friend of his - and the guy is wearing full camo!

Needless to say, this has made my job much harder!

msulinski

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »

Is this in reference to the color wheel comment? What you are really talking about when you say "black-blue" is that you are decreasing the brightness of the blue, which is another dimension of the color wheel. You are still directly across from brown (or really orange, but brown can be just a less-bright version of orange.

Goosey

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2013, 02:11:55 PM »

Is this in reference to the color wheel comment? What you are really talking about when you say "black-blue" is that you are decreasing the brightness of the blue, which is another dimension of the color wheel. You are still directly across from brown (or really orange, but brown can be just a less-bright version of orange.

I'm talking about different shades. There are "warm" blues that would absolutely go with brown. But there are all so "cold" blues that would look horrible with it. It depends on the blend of color.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
Just to clarify again, he really does try, but he just can't figure out the correct level of formality for the occation. I really don't want people to think its laziness.

Goldilocks: That's just blooming typical, I'd be quizzing DH & DD to see if they'd paid him as a set up!
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2013, 02:18:54 PM »

It's one thing to disagree with other people's fashion choices and explain why, but to call someone silly for their opinion is unacceptable.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
I don't think that the husband's black slacks in the OP would be rude.  I think a spouse can gently share opinions but he/she needs to be careful or else risks being rude.  Everything else is a matter of taste and preference and not etiquette.

audrey1962

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
I don't have a problem with the black slacks either.

Having said that, I do agree that an all black suit is a tad much (a bit too much like a waiter) and I personally prefer men in gray or navy suits. IMO, black pinstripes tend to be a bit too "slick," but some men look good in them. 

Eeep!

« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
I thought of this thread when I saw this today. :)
http://www.dolcegabbana.com/dg/fashion-show/

To throw my 2 cents into the black suits ring, I live and work in the SF Bay Area and I see lots of black suits and black pants.  While I think I personally prefer a charcoal over straight black I have never given it a second thought.  Although I do think that black seems to show fabric quality better so a cheap pair of black pants tend to look a lot worse than a cheap pair of gray pants.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

katycoo

« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2013, 11:08:50 PM »

Just goes how subjective taste is, because my brain just exploded at reading about your brain explosion ;) I'd never recommend navy shoes to go with a navy suit (and even less cream/white shoes).

Having given this further consideration, I have realised that despite my best intentions, I am twisting female style onto my perceptions.  I have no idea what colour shoes men wear with navy, and have concluded I mustn't notice.

Women, OTOH, particularly in a dress or skirt, I think should never pair navy with black.  I would go cream, nude, silver (if evening wear) or navy if I owned any.

I wonder then why its different for men?

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #73 on: August 22, 2013, 11:58:02 PM »
Easy way to check out what shoes go with what suit color and style- google "man in whatever color suit", look at both the shopping and the images. You will always find designer suits and the suggested gear that goes with them. Find a few designers you like, and then look at the pictures from their runway shows- you will see the colors they chose for their suits and shoes.

Navy suits tend to say business, power, and wealth. Charcoal subtlety and class. Black suits are common, but do need careful attention to shirt and tie color and suit cut- exactly because they are so common. If the black suit is cheap, ill-cut, or just of the wrong material, it can make a man look like he works at an upscale restaurant or a cheap funeral parlor. Beige, brown, and other neutral suits can be more stylish, or fun.

For levels in between tux and jammies, again- google a designer or 6 until you find one you like- then check out his runway shows for this year and last. You can get an idea of shapes, colors, and general styles you like, and then find similar itemss at more reasonable prices.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2013, 12:47:43 AM »
Women, OTOH, particularly in a dress or skirt, I think should never pair navy with black.  I would go cream, nude, silver (if evening wear) or navy if I owned any.

I wonder then why its different for men?

I disagree with you there as well  ;) I'm a woman (last I checked  ;) ) and I'll happily pair my favourite navy dress with my black shoes.

I do agree that on women navy doesn't look bad with any of the other colours though, and in fact navy or black shoes would be my preference.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice