Author Topic: Correct Clothing for the occasion - a plea for saving my sanity.  (Read 9689 times)

msulinski

Re: Correct Clothing for the occasion - a plea for saving my sanity.
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:40 AM »
Pairing navy pants/suit with black shoes appears to be very polarizing. There are those even in this thread that love it or hate it. I believe someone called it the "devil's pairing." The same is true on men's clothing boards as well. Some don't like it because you "look like a bruise." Others don't like it because it brings to mind military dress. I personally don't object.

Mrs. Tilney

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
The other day I wore a navy pinstripe skirt and black wedges. And got complimented on my shoes by a guy. First time that's ever happened.

Goosey

« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
I thought military dress blues (navy) were ALWAYS paired with black shoes?

msulinski

« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »

I believe this is exactly why some people don't like the pairing. The mindset is that they don't want to look like they are wearing a uniform, as a uniform is something that you are forced to wear.

Goosey

« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2013, 11:56:12 AM »

I believe this is exactly why some people don't like the pairing. The mindset is that they don't want to look like they are wearing a uniform, as a uniform is something that you are forced to wear.

But, that means the colors do GO together, just some people associate them too closely with the military. I have to say, though, i've seen it pretty commonly out of the military too. So, even that arguement makes no sense.

Plus, men in dress blues look tasty  :P

msulinski

« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

But, that means the colors do GO together, just some people associate them too closely with the military. I have to say, though, i've seen it pretty commonly out of the military too. So, even that arguement makes no sense.

Plus, men in dress blues look tasty  :P

I don't disagree that they go together. The military association is just one reason I have seen others use to explain why they don't like it.

daen

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2013, 03:21:07 PM »
I was reminded by a previous poster's comment (about a cheap black suit making one look like one worked in an upscale restaurant) of the Father Brown short story "The Queer Feet." http://www.gutenberg.org/files/204/204-h/204-h.htm#link2H_4_0003

The first paragraph makes reference to a group of men who wear green dinner coats so they can't be mistaken for waiters. The remainder of the story explains why.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2013, 10:46:50 AM »
Women, OTOH, particularly in a dress or skirt, I think should never pair navy with black.  I would go cream, nude, silver (if evening wear) or navy if I owned any.

I wonder then why its different for men?

I would give money to see a man dressed for a formal event in a navy suit with silver shoes.  ;D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

squeakers

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
Women, OTOH, particularly in a dress or skirt, I think should never pair navy with black.  I would go cream, nude, silver (if evening wear) or navy if I owned any.

I wonder then why its different for men?

I would give money to see a man dressed for a formal event in a navy suit with silver shoes.  ;D

I bet Sir Elton John has worn that combo.   ;D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
But do electric boots actually go with mohair suits? That's the REAL question.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LeveeWoman

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:21 PM »

Are braces and boots really cute?

CuppaTea

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »

"I'm not saying that a person can't put together something passable or even decent for someone else, but it will almost never be great."

Fire all the stylist's and personal shoppers? No.  Because most people can't look at their own bodies objectively and find the right colours and cut that suits them best. It helps tremendously to have an objective eye to help. 

aiki

• We can't all have Pippa's backside.
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »

Of course. I read it in a magazine.
"A true gentleman is one who is never unintentionally rude."  - Oscar Wilde