Author Topic: Smoking etiquette on outdoor restaurant patio  (Read 2835 times)

TOLady

Re: Smoking etiquette on outdoor restaurant patio
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »
Our local pub has a great patio and allows smoking.

Just this week, a lady sat down at the table next to us and very timidly ask if we would mind if she smoked. She seemed so nervous about asking. I suppose she's been yelled at before.

In any case (I smoke, but my husband doesn't and I don't smoke around him), with both thanked her for asking and said not a problem at all for us.

She seemed relieved.

As for myself, I always ask if it's okay if I light up and as soon as a table close to me gets their food, I put the cigarette out. If they say no - no problem. I can always walk off the property for a second for a puff or two.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »
Smoking isn't allowed in all outdoor dining areas, either, though. I wouldn't make any assumptions about what the law allowed.

Some of it might depend on the ambiance.  If the weather was nice I wouldn't assume people were out there to smoke, they might be there to enjoy fresh air. If it overlooked a river, lake, coast they might be enjoying the sound of the water. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
If I were seated near you, I would have asked my server to move me inside - because it sounds like the patio was obviously an okay place to smoke and if I didn't want to smell it, that would be my problem.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
Smoking isn't allowed in all outdoor dining areas, either, though. I wouldn't make any assumptions about what the law allowed.

Some of it might depend on the ambiance.  If the weather was nice I wouldn't assume people were out there to smoke, they might be there to enjoy fresh air. If it overlooked a river, lake, coast they might be enjoying the sound of the water.

I would go by whether there were ashtrays on the tables--if there are, then the restaurant has designated that as a smoking section, whatever the ambiance. Or if in doubt, I'd ask the server. As for the law, I figure most people know what the law is in their own particular jurisdiction (and this is also something you can ask the server). When I lived in a town that passed a new law banning smoking in outdoor dining areas, everyone knew. Especially restaurant workers, because people had very strong opinions one way or the other.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »

I would go by whether there were ashtrays on the tables--if there are, then the restaurant has designated that as a smoking section, whatever the ambiance. Or if in doubt, I'd ask the server. As for the law, I figure most people know what the law is in their own particular jurisdiction (and this is also something you can ask the server). When I lived in a town that passed a new law banning smoking in outdoor dining areas, everyone knew. Especially restaurant workers, because people had very strong opinions one way or the other.

lol, you'd be surprised.  In Michigan they just had to clarify this (although it is still not what I'd consider vastly clear).  The way I understand it now.  Customers can take their own food and drink outside to patios that allow smoking but if they are areas that waitstaff serve, no smoking is allowed.

sweetonsno

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »
My opinion is that you should always do the best to avoid disturbing other people who are trying to enjoy themselves, even if you have the right to engage in the activity that would be bothersome. In this case, when someone has a legal right to smoke but is in a space that is shared with nonsmokers, I'd say that the best bet is to try and sit on the downwind side.

Also, just to clarify, is the patio the designated smoking section, or is it just the place where smoking is allowed (but is for both smokers and nonsmokers)? If I remember correctly from the first post, the ashtrays don't "live" on the tables but are available by request.