Author Topic: What part of too far out of the way do you not understand?  (Read 12034 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: What part of too far out of the way do you not understand?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:46 PM »
I am wondering myself why it is so darned important to him that I ride with him.  I'm on the overly-suspicious side myself and view most men as potential ax-murderers, so I feel better that this has raised red flags with so many of y'all here.  I think I'm going to skip this little outing.

Smart move when you consider that the most generous analysis of the situation is that he is dim, stubborn, and inconsiderate.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:43 PM »
I am wondering myself why it is so darned important to him that I ride with him.  I'm on the overly-suspicious side myself and view most men as potential ax-murderers, so I feel better that this has raised red flags with so many of y'all here.  I think I'm going to skip this little outing.

OT, but you reminded me of an early date I had with dh a million or so years ago. We'd been out a few times and I felt pretty comfortable with him. He picked me up for a date and started driving down a very dark, lonely highway. He wouldn't tell me where we were going, even after I asked multiple times. I was getting a little nervous but didn't want to let it show.

After a little while he said, "You know, you could bury a body out here and nobody would find it."

Me: "Uh, yeah. I guess so."

A few more moments of slience, then he says "I have a shovel in the trunk."

Me, getting more panicky by the moment but trying to play it off, "Uh, very funny. I know you're just kidding so just stop it."

Him: "Kidding about what? I really do have a shovel in the trunk."

Me: "Look, I think you'd better turn around and take me home right now. This is not funny."

Him: "What's not funny? Besides, we're almost there now..."

Moments before I am about to go into screaming terror mode, we pull into the parking lot of this out of the way, offbeat club he'd heard about. Had a great time. He thinks he's very funny and still loves to tell people that story.

Yeah, he's a riot. Even after that, I still married him!  ;D

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

SCMagnolia

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »
Sami - OH MY GOODNESS!  I think I'd have tried to jump out of the car when he slowed for a curve!  Glad it all worked out for you!  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
I think I would have hit him with that shovel in the trunk...   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
I don't think they are all ax murderers..but this guy is definitely setting off the hinky meter on me too.  Maybe he is just clueless, but to expect you to drive that far out of your way, get in his car, drive back to essentially your starting point, then go allll the way back to get your car?   Nope..I would tell him either he meets you at the venue (don't show him where you work) or not at all. 

crella

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 08:38:29 PM »
It could be that he simply wants all his friends to see her getting out of his car (manly thing? drama llama?) but even without hinkyness, this is just too, too, inconsiderate. He sounds stubborn.

MrTango

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:52 PM »
I'm not seeing any hinkiness (maybe because I'm a guy, I haven't had to develop the same sort of senses), but I do recognize his brand of stubborn refusal to listen, and it's not likely to improve with time.

This is the sort of thing I'd drop someone over, especially if it were only the second date.

snowdragon

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
Could be that he wants all his friends to see this hot chick he arrives with, could be that he wants her to have to end up at his place, leaving him an opening to ask her to "come in for a drink" or something, but if he was any way decent, he'd understand her not wanting to drive all the way out there. This is the sort of stubbornness and lack of consideration that usually presents itself later in the relationship, and I agree with the other poster who advised her to say something along the lines of, "I'll meet you at the venue, or not at all."

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:55 PM »
It doesn't really matter what his motivation is. He doesn't sound like someone that would be fun to date or be friends with or anything.

NyaChan

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 11:24:43 PM »
This would be the signal to step away for me.  As for motivation, well personally I think he's figuring that it'll be much less easy for you two to end up spending the night together if you drive separately to the venue. 

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 03:27:38 AM »

Even if there's nothing sinister - he's demonstrated that he isn't interested in listening to you, and he doesn't care if he inconveniences you if it gets him what he wants.

Neither of these things are what you want in a BF.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »
Just curious - what would happen if you said you had to work late that night and could not make it over to him in time - your only option would be to go straight there?

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
It doesn't really matter what his motivation is. He doesn't sound like someone that would be fun to date or be friends with or anything.

This. I don't want to hang with someone whose idea of "compromise" is that he gets to walk all over me.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

White Lotus

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »
Cancel.