Author Topic: Elevator Etiquette  (Read 3374 times)

MurPl1

Re: Elevator Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »
Is this just a two story building?  Because that's the only way first on, last off would make sense.  Or do all the ladies work on lower floors than the men (and where on earth would that be in this day and age??)

In most elevator situations I've been in, there's always a variety of floors being stopped at and no way to know that the last guy on isn't also getting off at the top floor so everyone else will have to maneuver around him. 

I think it's polite of the men to let the women on first.  Actually I just think it's nice that it's not a massive rush to pile on the elevator and someone is holding back.

msulinski

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
Is this just a two story building?  Because that's the only way first on, last off would make sense.  Or do all the ladies work on lower floors than the men (and where on earth would that be in this day and age??)

In most elevator situations I've been in, there's always a variety of floors being stopped at and no way to know that the last guy on isn't also getting off at the top floor so everyone else will have to maneuver around him. 

I think it's polite of the men to let the women on first.  Actually I just think it's nice that it's not a massive rush to pile on the elevator and someone is holding back.

I'm in a multi-story building. This particular elevator services 8 floors. However, the floors are occupied by different companies, so there tends to be groups of people that work on the same floor getting on/off together, especially at the usual start-of-day, lunch, and end-of-day times. I will often get on the elevator on my floor at the end of the day with 5 or 6 other people. We all get off the elevator in the lobby.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 05:09:25 PM »
I must work with well mannered people!  The gentlemen usually stand aside and let the ladies enter the elevator first.  Younger people usually let the older people enter first.  If the elevator is on the way up,  people just exit as they reach the appropriate floor.  On the way down, ladies exit into the lobby first.  If a man is right in front of the doors, he will exit and stand aside as the ladies leave.

I don't find any of it silly, I think it is very nice.  Maybe it is my workplace, I work for a large, religious, non-profit. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
I remember reading that the source of men first on an elevator dates back to the days of unreliable elevators.  The man gets on first so that, if the cable snaps, the woman lives.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
I used to live in a high-rise on the 11th floor, so I took the elevator a lot (almost always took the stairs down, elevator up). It could be so frustrating! Most people were polite, but a few stand out in not a good way. Generally people would let those who'd been "in line" get on first, but there were some parents who would let their kids run ahead of everyone to get on it. Even when the crowd around the elevator had been there awhile, this family would come in and the kids pushed through everyone..they didn't even hesitate. That, IMHO, was bad parenting.

As far as letting disabled people board first, I get that. But there was a guy in a wheelchair who'd get upset if anyone was on the elevator. In his opinion, once he got on everyone should vacate the elevator. He complained so much to management that they sent out letters to the residents, instructing us to do just that. No one paid attention; it was a ridiculous request! (FTR, the elevators were quite large, plenty of room for a wheelchair and other people.)

I don't miss that.

Edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:34:02 PM by jaxsue »

ti_ax

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
I would have written the management back and asked how much they were reducing my rent in return for demoting me to 2nd class tenant.

Margo

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »
It would bug me a LOT to have to squeeze past the men to get off. They want to be polite then they should exit and then get back in, if they are going to a higher floor.  (or exit and wait, if they're going to the same floor, and want to hold the button.)

I don't recall having come across this with elevators but I have had it with doors - it's very nice to hold a door for me, but if doing so means you're in my way then it isn't helpful, it's just awkward.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »
I would have written the management back and asked how much they were reducing my rent in return for demoting me to 2nd class tenant.

It was ridiculous. If you read reviews of that particular apt complex on apartments.com, you don't see a lot of positive stuff.

Edited to fix typo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:32:07 PM by jaxsue »

delabela

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 03:45:51 PM »
I fail to see any creepiness in it - and I'm a woman who has worked and lived in urban areas for some time.  If someone is sketchy, it doesn't matter when I get on the elevator - I let them press their button first, then press a different one.

I think it's a nice gesture.  My experience has been that it's no just men holding the elevator for women, but people in general offering for others to go first.  I don't see how it's any more inefficient than first in line on first.  I also don't think it's rude to just do first in line, first in, either.