Author Topic: Potluck Etiquette Opinions?  (Read 8146 times)

FOSTER

Potluck Etiquette Opinions?
« on: August 20, 2013, 11:17:01 PM »
I read this today and thought of this group. Any opinions?

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2011/07/potluck_etiquette_rules.php

MrTango

Re: Potluck Etiquette Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:17 PM »
The author's tone is condescending, but I do think she makes some good points.

1-3) I agree heartily.  Better to bring an overabundance of food to a potluck than not enough.
4-5) IMO, whoever brings a given item to a potluck is responsible for it being made ready for consumption at the appointed time.  The host's responsibility is to provide instructions and coordination on where to place items being served.
6) Someone has to be first in line.  Usually, it's whoever happens to be standing closest to the plates.
7) Short of food-safety issues, I agree.  Certain foods being under-cooked, however, are a food safety issue and need to be addressed so as to reduce the risk of food-borne illness.  (Of course, one ought to address such an issue in a polite manner so as to minimize the embarassment of the host and the person who brought the dish).
8-10) Agreed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:35:01 PM by MrTango »

Eeep!

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:51:26 PM »
I think the potluck described sounds horrible and not fun at all. Heh.
I think I'm glad the ones I've attended have mostly been small. ;-)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:06:35 AM »
I don't agree with the added #16. That's usually pretty good - and often grabbed up pretty quickly at a lot of potlucks I've been to.  The person must not have good stores near her.

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
1. Yes!  The dish should be large enough for your family plus a few more.  I have been to many a potluck where a family of six brought a tiny container of potato salad. 

The added #20 is spot on. Your dish should be ready or almost so.  There is no guarantee that there will be room in the oven, fridge, etc. 

My own added is keep to the theme.  I remember the "finger food only" potluck I was put in charge of and someone brought a jello salad.  No, the only utensils were for serving.  I wasn't scrambling to find spoons and bowls because someone wanted to change the theme. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Joeschmo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:49 AM »
I don't agree with the added #16. That's usually pretty good - and often grabbed up pretty quickly at a lot of potlucks I've been to.  The person must not have good stores near her.

I went back to double check the article and still can't figure out what #16 you are talking about :-\?  Can you link to it because the list only has 10 rules and I don't see any additions or follow up articles.  Maybe I missed it. :-[

eta: because edition and addition aren't the same word  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:37:54 AM by Joeschmo »

Library Dragon

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:32:01 AM »
It's in the comment section.

16. Grocery store chicken is not an acceptable dish to bring, because EVERYBODY brings the chicken from Albertsons with its mojo potatoes and its King's Hawaiian bread.
 >:(

I think the issue is when several people bring this. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 01:02:28 AM »
My comment didn't save earlier.

But I'd make an addition. If you know you're not well, stay home. I was at a potluck where one of the guests ended up having hepatitis. All the guests had to get hep shots the next day. That rule should be common sense, but it apparently isn't.

Not a fun memory of the otherwise fun event.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 01:43:49 AM »
Dotty, your post did save, I just deleted it. I did so because your comment about not attending if one is ill is common sense. Have faith in your fellow posters not to knowingly infect their friends/families/people they have to put up with.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:46:48 AM by cass2591 »
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 01:46:04 AM »
Dotty, your post did save, I just deleted it. I did so because your comment about not attending if one is ill is common sense. Have faith in your fellow posters not to willingly infect their friends/families/people they have to put up with.

Like I just said, you'd think it would be common sense. But it appears it isn't. Just like the actual 10 in the link.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:47:36 AM by DottyG »

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:46:25 AM »
I'd add that if you are organizing/providing space for a potluck, to schedule the meal as the first activity of the gathering so that the food is at its best. Don't have people gather at 3:00, but serve the meal at 6:00.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:08:37 AM »
It sounds like the author has been to more than her share of bad potlucks if she feels the need to repeat herself.  I don't disagree with her ideas, only her attitude.

The latest comment regarding work potlucks where no contribution means no consumption is definitely spot on.  I know two people whose offices have that rule; neither of them attend these events.

Which is making me wonder whether I got invited to a friend's building's potluck because I make killer stuffed vine leaves....

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:37:11 AM »
What she's describing isn't a potluck as I know them. For one thing, I've never been to one that had "work shifts." You bring your dish, you put it where the hostess tells you to, and you eat! You can ask the hostess if she needs help, but if she says no, then go mingle. We do potlucks so nobody *has* to "work."

The potluck in the article sounds more like a club or organization's cookout where everyone has a job to do (e.g., grilling the meat, setting up, cleaning up) in addition to bringing a dish -- not a true potluck as I've experienced them.

And what's wrong with bringing chips and dips, or drinks, or plates and cups, instead of a "dish"? At our work potlucks, we have people sign up to bring those if they don't have time to make something. We've never been short of food because not everyone brought a "dish."

I love how the author got busted in the comments by someone who had been to the event that prompted the rant -- then she tried to say it really wasn't about *that* event. Except it was.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 07:42:40 AM »
That wasn't a list of etiquette rules, it was a rant.

That was what I was thinking. That this was in response to a recent bad experience.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »
Is it just me or does a potluck for 200 people sound like an exercise in maddness?

The few potlucks I've been to have been about 25 people, tops.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with bringing a few good, rotisserie chickens to a potluck.  At one potluck I attended, someone brought a big platter of sushi and I know she didn't make that herself.