Author Topic: Potluck Etiquette Opinions?  (Read 8447 times)

snowdragon

Re: Potluck Etiquette Opinions?
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2013, 03:38:37 PM »
It's not about discrimination, even though you are trying your best to make it out to be.

You're able bodied. You're an adult. You're able to serve yourself and move on without assistance. This system is to make sure that those needing and providing the assistance can do so without being trampled or having to wait in line for a long time (in cases where they can't stand for long or carry young children long).

It's not about you being single and it's ridiculous to make it about that. You're able to walk up to the table and serve yourself without help. If you want a particular dish, it's best you make it for yourself. It's a potluck, not a buffet. There's never going to be enough for everyone and if you're holding out for the "best" you're going to be disappointed every time.

And as someone pointed out up thread, those needing assistance can just as easily go at the end - or have their helpers go through with everyone else. But the "these are going to go first and you get to go last always" is wrong and hurtful.
  If you don't see why it would be - then why is it not acceptable for those needing assistance to go last?

turnip

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
It's not about discrimination, even though you are trying your best to make it out to be.

You're able bodied. You're an adult. You're able to serve yourself and move on without assistance. This system is to make sure that those needing and providing the assistance can do so without being trampled or having to wait in line for a long time (in cases where they can't stand for long or carry young children long).

It's not about you being single and it's ridiculous to make it about that. You're able to walk up to the table and serve yourself without help. If you want a particular dish, it's best you make it for yourself. It's a potluck, not a buffet. There's never going to be enough for everyone and if you're holding out for the "best" you're going to be disappointed every time.

And as someone pointed out up thread, those needing assistance can just as easily go at the end - or have their helpers go through with everyone else. But the "these are going to go first and you get to go last always" is wrong and hurtful.
  If you don't see why it would be - then why is it not acceptable for those needing assistance to go last?

Because there are more important things than making sure you get a full plate of the best food at the potluck?

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »
Snowdragon, I think you're taking this much too personally. No one wants to slight you, they just want to make sure that those who would have a much harder time getting to the table and serving themselves than you get the opportunity to do so.

It's never a slight , until it is. And it is when it's a constant, "you get to go last always because I say these are more worthy than you" it's a slight.

They're not more worthy than you. You are more able-bodied than them.

You seem to be doing a mental leap and zig-zag to make this about your worth as a human being rather than your ability to easily serve yourself without assistance.

Don't worry, in my experience, the elderly and small children don't eat much.

How incredibly condescending.  In other words "It's ok for you to be discriminated against...but don't worry there will be enough of the stuff others don't want for you to eat." 
  If organizations expect people to bring more than their share ( and singles usually end up doing this at pot lucks ) then they need to treat us fairly - and not relegate us to the leftovers that others did not want.

I don't understand what is condescending about their post and I don't see any discrimination by letting elderly and people with children go first. you do seem to think that is is some huge slight against families, but I don't think that  it what  it is was a way to make use that  Everyone got something, if the elderly had to wait until after the teens and children I truly think that  there would have been very little left for them and if they  need assistance with  food them the people that  would able to help them would probably be eating and wouldn't want to let their food get cold.  I also doubt you  want a bunch of children milling around while you  are trying to get your food and walk back to the table.

snowdragon

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2013, 03:45:58 PM »

Because there are more important things than making sure you get a full plate of the best food at the potluck?

The same can be said for every group there, but it seems only one group is asked to be continually last and judged mean spirited if they say "enough and no more of the favoritism. Engage in it with out my help."

Goosey

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
Because it's gracious to let those not as able as you go first. It shows empathy and humanity to acknowledge that they have it harder than you at this point and they need some support and assistance. It's supporting someone who needs it, not putting them above people on this imaginary human hierarchy of disabled vs. single people. If it's more important that you get the "best" stuff than show compassion for your fellow man who aren't as able as you, well - that really says a lot.

It's a potluck. Unless it's the last potluck before the Apocalypse, I promise you it won't be the last time you go to one. It's called a pot luck because you never know what you're going to get. If there's never enough food, that's one thing, but the idea that all the "best" things are taken by the disabled, elderly and children when they get to go in line ahead of you is eye-roll worthy.

snowdragon

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »
Snowdragon, I think you're taking this much too personally. No one wants to slight you, they just want to make sure that those who would have a much harder time getting to the table and serving themselves than you get the opportunity to do so.

It's never a slight , until it is. And it is when it's a constant, "you get to go last always because I say these are more worthy than you" it's a slight.

You seem to be doing a mental leap and zig-zag to make this about your worth as a human being rather than your ability to easily serve yourself without assistance.

How incredibly condescending.  In other words "It's ok for you to be discriminated against...but don't worry there will be enough of the stuff others don't want for you to eat." 
  If organizations expect people to bring more than their share ( and singles usually end up doing this at pot lucks ) then they need to treat us fairly - and not relegate us to the leftovers that others did not want.

I don't understand what is condescending about their post and I don't see any discrimination by letting elderly and people with children go first. you do seem to think that is is some huge slight against families, but I don't think that  it what  it is was a way to make use that  Everyone got something, if the elderly had to wait until after the teens and children I truly think that  there would have been very little left for them and if they  need assistance with  food them the people that  would able to help them would probably be eating and wouldn't want to let their food get cold.  I also doubt you  want a bunch of children milling around while you  are trying to get your food and walk back to the table.

But it's ok for those with out young kids or elderly folks to always have that "very little left" that you mention, all the time?  There is a limited amount  of everything. Everyone contributed - some more than other proportionately- everyone therefor should have the same chances at first,last, and middle.

IDriveADodgeStratus

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2013, 03:50:42 PM »
Just go to a restaurant.

There. All better.

turnip

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »

The same can be said for every group there, but it seems only one group is asked to be continually last and judged mean spirited if they say "enough and no more of the favoritism. Engage in it with out my help."

'Only one group' being the non-disabled and the people without small children.  You realize that's the vast majority, right?

"enough and no more of the favoritism. Engage in it with out my help."

We were and are talking about a church potluck.  I don't think the above quote would find much place there.

Goosey

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »
But it's ok for those with out young kids or elderly folks to always have that "very little left" that you mention, all the time?  There is a limited amount  of everything. Everyone contributed - some more than other proportionately- everyone therefor should have the same chances at first,last, and middle.

If there's very little left all the time, the problem is with the AMOUNT of contributions, not who got to go first.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
Because it's gracious to let those not as able as you go first. It shows empathy and humanity to acknowledge that they have it harder than you at this point and they need some support and assistance. It's supporting someone who needs it, not putting them above people on this imaginary human hierarchy of disabled vs. single people. If it's more important that you get the "best" stuff than show compassion for your fellow man who aren't as able as you, well - that really says a lot.

It's a potluck. Unless it's the last potluck before the Apocalypse, I promise you it won't be the last time you go to one. It's called a pot luck because you never know what you're going to get. If there's never enough food, that's one thing, but the idea that all the "best" things are taken by the disabled, elderly and children when they get to go in line ahead of you is eye-roll worthy.

Beautifully put, Goosey.

blahblahblah

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
But it's ok for those with out young kids or elderly folks to always have that "very little left" that you mention, all the time?   
But really, how often does that happen? Young kids and elderly folk generally don't eat all that much, not to the point where there'd be slim pickings by the time you got to the table. And there's really not a whole lot of them in comparison to the non-elderly/disabled people without young kids. So if you let the non-elderly/disabled people go first, then it's likely that the families with young kids and the elderly won't get much. But the reverse does not hold true. Just because A -> B does not mean that B -> A.

If there's an issue with a particularly popular dish *always* being gone by the time you get to the table, then you can always talk to the potluck directors about only setting out some of the dish immediately, waiting until the first wave of people have gone through, and then putting out the rest of it. Not all of the food has to be set out on the table all at once.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:56:12 PM by blahblahblah »

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

Unless there was a huge number of elderly and children then I do think that  the would be a significant amount of difference in the amount left over  with the children and elderly going through versus everyone else going through first .

snowdragon

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »

If there's very little left all the time, the problem is with the AMOUNT of contributions, not who got to go first.

same could be said  in the reverse - if the teen go first and there is not enough left for the elderly - then the problem is the AMOUNT not who got to go first.

Goosey

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2013, 03:55:03 PM »

Beautifully put, Goosey.

Thanks  ;D

(P.S. Your snake looks very fine in a top hat and monocle. Perhaps he would like to join my goose for tea sometime?  :P)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:56:50 PM by Goosey »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »
But isn't that just as true for everyone? How are those things more true for some people at the potluck than others? And if the food will be cold if the caregivers are last to get through the line, isn't that also true if able bodied adults are last?