General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Deleting a non-inflammatory FB comment: do you ask why?

<< < (2/5) > >>

JenJay:
I wondered if he thought you were asking in an "I find that hard to believe, please cite your sources" sort of way and didn't realize you were genuinely interested in learning more about the topic.

veronaz:
If you want to know why the person deleted the post, you should ask them via private message.  Although some have speculated, there is no way anyone else would know.

As far as whether I would ask, it would depend on the post and the person who deleted it. 

penelope2017:
Maybe the person didn't feel like getting deeper into the topic than they already were? I think generally if you make a request on a thread that is ignored for whatever reason, it's probably advisable to not post the same request again. It starts feel like a nuisance.

I have a regular poster on my wall that rarely says anything controversial but tends to comment on every single status I put up and often throws off the flow of conversation or rhythm with her contributions. She tends to miss social cues or conversational cues. If I posted something and she asked a question that I didn't feel like getting into, and then asked the same question I'd probably delete the second comment also. Things don't have to be inflammatory to be annoying or just generally socially awkward.

Not saying that this is you, but generally I think taking the social cue of your question not being answered the first time is probably advisable to not ask it again, you know? For whatever reason, no one felt like answering the question, and posting the question twice in the same thread raises it to awkward level.

GrammarNerd:

--- Quote from: penelope2017 on August 22, 2013, 05:30:01 PM ---Maybe the person didn't feel like getting deeper into the topic than they already were? I think generally if you make a request on a thread that is ignored for whatever reason, it's probably advisable to not post the same request again. It starts feel like a nuisance.

I have a regular poster on my wall that rarely says anything controversial but tends to comment on every single status I put up and often throws off the flow of conversation or rhythm with her contributions. She tends to miss social cues or conversational cues. If I posted something and she asked a question that I didn't feel like getting into, and then asked the same question I'd probably delete the second comment also. Things don't have to be inflammatory to be annoying or just generally socially awkward.

Not saying that this is you, but generally I think taking the social cue of your question not being answered the first time is probably advisable to not ask it again, you know? For whatever reason, no one felt like answering the question, and posting the question twice in the same thread raises it to awkward level.

--- End quote ---

Re: the bolded, it wasn't in the same thread at all.  Two different people made relatively the same comment, each in their own threads, and I commented on both of theirs.

Both of the FB friends serve in a volunteer capacity, and this capacity requires a certification exam.  Both friends were commenting on the exam, and how they don't like this one type of question (the offshoot topic).  The question was about an area in which I have an interest (and both of these friends know this).  So I asked what kind of questions they put on the exam about the offshoot topic, much like one student would ask another student, 'what types of algebra questions are on the ACT?'. A general answer would have been fine, and it was mere curiosity.  It was really just a very mundane question/topic, and I thought it was a bit OTT for the one person to actually delete my comment/question.  Not losing any sleep over it, but it always feels strange when someone deletes something that you posted, and you haven't a clue why.

artk2002:
Are you sure that they deleted your comment and FB didn't just lose it? FB isn't designed as a transactionally secure system -- there's absolutely no guarantee that when you hit "Post", that text will absolutely and positively and always be recorded. Putting that kind of robustness into FB would cost them a lot of money and slow the system down. Neither of which make much business sense. It's a "best effort" and nothing more. There's no guarantee that FB won't lose something once it's been posted, either.

In other words, FB is not a dependable medium for communications.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version