Author Topic: Accosted on the street and did not engage  (Read 7542 times)

Allyson

Re: Accosted on the street and did not engage
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
I do generally agree about not jumping to the worst conclusion and acting as if someone is a criminal in situations like these. But, I don't think that's what the OP was doing here. Had she used a panic whistle, called the cops, or started screaming at him, then yes, all those would be overreactions. But just plain not wanting to engage with him and being abrupt, I don't think is rude. When you approach a stranger on the street and make a personal comment to her you really shouldn't be surprised if they aren't friendly.

I agree that sometimes here we are too quick to jump to 'evil intent', and am often the first one to think people call out someone as being 'a safety issue' too quickly. This wasn't a safety issue, this was an annoying guy, and the OP reacted accordingly.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2013, 12:23:47 AM »
My only issues is I feel like I'd have the bad luck to get the guy who would respond to "Do I know you?" with "No, but you can/should".. And still have trouble shaking him...

I would probably say Not Interested.
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
This wasn't a safety issue, this was an annoying guy, and the OP reacted accordingly.

Well, we don't know that this wasn't a "safety issue," since the OP was able to shut it down. It might have escalated further if she had tried to be "nice".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."