Author Topic: Berries on the fence  (Read 8304 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Berries on the fence
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
I have never understood laws that require the fence to be off the property line.  Essentially when one builds a fence, they are losing that area of their property when it must be inside the line.  Ours must be 6" in side the line.  Not a great deal of space, but it does cause gaps.

here, it is a full foot in from the property line.

How do you tend to the grass in between?

They don't.  Our neighbours have a gap between fences and all that is back there are high growing weeds and the bunnies live there.  We had to put some blockades between the two fences so our yard would be fully enclosed. 

I dont' understand how the city can force people to lose one foot of property when the easiest thing is to do it on the line. 

Only me

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »
I ran across this link article on 8 ways for blackberries and thought of this thread.

http://www.chatelaine.com/recipes/recipe-collections/fresh-blackberry-recipes/

Thought you might enjoy.

dawnfire

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
My mind is blown by the idea of anyone deliberately planting blackberries. Where I grew up, blackberries are everywhere growing wild and trying to take over the entire landscape. People are forever fighting a mostly losing battle to keep the brambles from taking over their entire properties, Audrey II-style.

So it's not just me having this mental disconnect? Oh good =).

They're a noxious weed in my state... with nummy, nummy fruit =).

they're considered a weed here in Australia. they clog up waterways. people are advised to to pick blackberries on public land as they have most likely bee poisoned by the local councils.

Shea

« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
My mind is blown by the idea of anyone deliberately planting blackberries. Where I grew up, blackberries are everywhere growing wild and trying to take over the entire landscape. People are forever fighting a mostly losing battle to keep the brambles from taking over their entire properties, Audrey II-style.

So it's not just me having this mental disconnect? Oh good =).

They're a noxious weed in my state... with nummy, nummy fruit =).

they're considered a weed here in Australia. they clog up waterways. people are advised to to pick blackberries on public land as they have most likely bee poisoned by the local councils.

Back home, people rarely use poison on them, mostly just go after them with tractors ;). Works for a year usually, then next year they're back. Blackberries and poison oak, the two things you can't get rid of. At least blackberries give delicious berries instead of nasty rashes!

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
This reminds me of our jasmine bushes that grow on the fence we share with a neighbor. When we moved in 7 years ago they were already established. In doing yard work shortly after moving in I noticed that they had gone up and over the fence then down into neighbors yard. I felt bad about the invasion and trimmed them back to our side. A couple days later I bumped in the neighbor and his wife who expressed sadness that the pretty smelling flowers were gone from their fence. I felt terrible and apologized. They said that it was completely fine with them if the plants grew over, they'd trim what was on their side as it was needed.

The bushes have since grown back and there are plenty of pretty smells for all.