Author Topic: What, if anything, can I say or do?  (Read 5223 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
What, if anything, can I say or do?
« on: August 21, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »
About 3 years ago, I bought a car with remote started.  That is when I started having problems walking through the doors of a local supermarket.  When you leave, you pass through sensors which sound alarms if your purchase has not been properly deactivated at the cash register.

Now it doesn't happen every time.  I think that they must get a lot of complaints from customers who set it off (person last night mentioned that anything electronic can set it off), and so they lower the sensitivity, and I have no problem.  Then, they probably start noticing losses and they raise the sensitivity again.

Last night, as I walked in, I set it off, so I knew I was in for it when I left.  And yes, the alarm sounded as I started to leave.  So the greeter had to check over my stuff.  I know she is doing her job, and the store has a right to protect her their assets.  But last night, I was exhausted and cranky, and as I came up to the exit, I had my receipt in my hand, ready to hand it to her.  I don't know if that made her more suspicious, but she spent about 5 minutes checking my five items against my receipt, and she even made a comment about me being in the way of someone else while I was standing there waiting on her.

I felt like crying, I was so tired.  I don't want to stop coming to this store: they have excellent meat and produce at good prices.  I don't want to make a fuss at the thing going off when I enter because a smart thief would use that as a cover to steal.  But I also don't want to be held up every time I leave the store.

Is there any thing I can say to the store management?  Or is that just the way it has to be?
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

MindsEye

Re: What, if anything, can I say or do?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
If the remote starter is just a dongle on your keychain, could you remove it and not carry it with you when you know you are going to this supermarket?  I assume that you still have car keys and could still lock, unlock, and turn on your car without the remote starter...

I do sympathize... back in the days when I was a grad student who walked everywhere, and liked to listen to music when I walked, my portable CD player used to set off the alarms at the grad school library every single time.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
I think I would tell the checker that my car starter sets of the alarm. Then I would hand her the starter and keys and walk through. Then I would ask for my keys back.

I would also write a letter to management asking them to update the sensors or to put a little sign up so you can  hand over the keys.

Other thought: can you get an RFID blocker or equivalent for your keys? Maybe contact the car company?

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:13 PM »
That would annoy me to the point where I'd just stop shopping there after a few times.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »
My badge from work sets them off sometimes, and yes, it's embarrassing and frustrating. I've found that if I put it between my purse and my body, it lowers the signal enough that it doesn't set the things off - this may help (I keep it in an inner pocket of my bag and turn the bag so that the pocket is closest to my body.

Good luck - and at least if you keep patronizing the same store, maybe they'll either get the clue that they need to adjust things or they'll start doing what the bookstore used to do and let me hand them my badge, pass through to show I didn't set it off, and then hand me my badge as the alarms went off.

magician5

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 03:15:49 PM »
Vote with your dollars: shop elsewhere. And tell 'em why.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »
There were so many complaints about this, the Walmarts in my area have stopped doing it. 

msulinski

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
If your remote start is anything like mine, it is built into the fob, so leaving it behind in the car is not going to work. Even with a separate key, having to remove the dongle from the keychain every time I entered this store would be annoying. I would also not give my key ring to anyone to hold.

I usually just keep on walking when I set these things off. I don't know if this is rude or not. I haven't had anyone come running after me yet. If I got searched by anyone, I would do as others suggested and tell management that you won't be shopping there anymore and why. I won't shop anywhere that treats me like a thief.

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
When the greeter approaches, can't you just hand them your keys and say 'I think it's just my keys.  Would you hold them while I walk through with my purchases?'. Then when you clear the scanner, thank them and reach back or around for your keys.

If it happens at the same place routinely, write a note to management to let them know that this inconvenience deters you from shopping with them.

Best wishes.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
If I got searched by anyone, I would do as others suggested and tell management that you won't be shopping there anymore and why. I won't shop anywhere that treats me like a thief.

P.O.D.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
I usually just keep on walking when I set these things off. I don't know if this is rude or not. I haven't had anyone come running after me yet. If I got searched by anyone, I would do as others suggested and tell management that you won't be shopping there anymore and why. I won't shop anywhere that treats me like a thief.

I'd agree with this.  At Sam's Club, part of my contract is that I agree to have my purchases tallied by the door greeter, and there is always one stationed there.  When I go to the regular grocery store, I'll just keep walking.  If there were someone there that immediately asked me to stop, I'd do it, but I'm not going to wait for them.

If you want to get technical about it, most of those sensor things don't really mean anything.  We've been conditioned to stop when they go off, but I've never seen one that had a sign that said "Stop of the sensor goes off" and I've only been to one or two stores where the sensor itself gives verbal instructions.

Aquamarine

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »
I would speak to the manager and tell them to fix things or they will permanently loose you as a customer.  That's beyond annoying and I would not put up with being stopped at the door while my cold foods got warm.

If this is a place where you did not sign agreement to allow door checks I would just keep on walking.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

White Lotus

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 06:32:32 PM »
My fob sets off the thing at the bank's airlock entrance.  I just hold up my keys, they see it, and buzz me in.  In OP's case, I'd have my keys out anyway, so I'd just hold them up or out as I went through.  But, yes, if I were stopped or inconvenienced more than once, I would go elsewhere.

Golden Phoenix

• Firebird
    • Matt's Menu
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
At thee supermarket i worked at the store keys of various types had tags attached to them so people didn't accidentally go home with them. (the pin type ones you usually see on clothes)

It was quickly discovered that if you hold the tag up above the level of the sensors then it won't pick it up. Worth a shot.

This only works if you have the type of sensor that doesn't go all the way up the door of course.

AnnaT

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:30 PM »
Most of those sensor thingies are posts set next to the door, about 4 foot high - my passcard used to set off the ones in a particular shop and I simply started carrying my passcard in my hand and lifting it high when passing through the sensors.  You can clearly see it is a passcard and with it raised up high, no alarms go off.