Author Topic: Facebook Page, wrong name  (Read 2568 times)

MsApril

Facebook Page, wrong name
« on: August 21, 2013, 04:39:12 PM »
I created a Facebook page for my family.
Think Jones-Smith.

Today I received a call from my aunt, a Smith by birth.
She doesn't like the name and wanted to know why I named it the way I did.
So I old her that I named it that because it was alphabetical.
She said," No, it was always the Smith reunion and was only changed when Aunt Jane Jones died to make it more Jones friendly".
Aunt Jones was a Smith before she was married.

All I ever remember it being called was the Jones-Smith or Smith-Jones Reunion, always interchangeable that way.
So, I changed the name.

Now my cousin, a Smith, not a Jones commented that I should combine the names, Smies or Jonth.
I'm not going to do that.
I've already changed it once.
Should I let Aunt take over the administration of this page or just ignore future comments.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
Re: Facebook Page, wrong name
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 04:49:22 PM »
Ignore it.  You've done nothing unreasonable.  If someone has suggestions for how you can make it better and you like those suggestions, then use them.  But, honestly your cousins suggestion sounds ridiculous--are you sure it wasn't meant as a joke?

veronaz

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:34 PM »
You should not have changed it the first time. 
Sounds like Aunt has a lot of power in your family.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 04:52:23 PM by veronaz »

FOSTER

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
I suggest that you put all possible surnames in a long, involved mess and that way you make everyone happy and unhappy all at once.

Just kidding, name it what you want, and ignore the 'suggestions' because that's really not that important is it?

But do take a deep breath and go do something more useful than pay attention to nit-picking stuff.

MrTango

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
Sarcasm: I'd be really tempted to name it the "Reunion of the family that quarrels over whether to put Jones or Smith first."   >:D

Serious answer: Name it however you feel most comfortable and stick with it.  I wouldn't even acknowledge the complaints.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 05:11:59 PM »
Ignore it.  Everyone will have an opinion about how the page should be named.  If they don't like it, they can create their own page.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
"Reunion of the family that quarrels over whether to put Jones or Smith first."

That should really read: "Reunion of the family that quarrels over whether to put Smith or Jones first."

;D Haha!

LeveeWoman

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 05:33:31 PM »
How about Jith-Smones or Smones-Jith?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
"The Smith-Jones/Jones-Smith Family Reunion" is a bit long, but it avoids the complaint. ;)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
I'd probably change it back to the way I had it before and tell the next complainer what I tell my husband and kids - You can ask me to do this and get it done my way or you can do it yourself and get it done your way. Not both.

cwm

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:32:08 AM »
"Reunion of the family that quarrels over whether to put Jones or Smith first."

That should really read: "Reunion of the family that quarrels over whether to put Smith or Jones first."

;D Haha!

I'll admit, I laughed.

Ignore your aunt. Unless this is an actual major event where you send out fliers and hang banners in the event center (I've had some family reunions like that) then it's not worth the fight.

Or you could just put whatever your last name is, and if you're married and it's not your DH's family, even better. Because if it's still fair to call it Jones-Smith when Aunt Jones was a Smith by birth, then you can certainly call it April-Jones-Smith, or even just April by the same logic.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
"The Smith-Jones/Jones-Smith Family Reunion" is a bit long, but it avoids the complaint. ;)

What?!  Surely you meant to say "The Jones-Smith/Smith-Jones Family Reunion"!  >:( >:( >:(

;)
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.