Author Topic: Card for Coworker  (Read 1932 times)

Marta

Card for Coworker
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:46 PM »
A coworker's wife is having some problems during her pregnancy. I'd like to leave him (and her) a sort of "Thinking of You" card. I've only been at the company for a few months, so I don't know him that well, and have only briefly met his wife once.

What would be an appropriate message to write inside? I'm really bad when it comes to writing cards.  :-\

NyaChan

Re: Card for Coworker
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:35 PM »
Are you really set on giving this card?  It seems a little bit much considering how new you are and the nature of your relationship with the coworker.

Marta

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
True. It may make him feel a bit awkward, and that's the last thing I'd want to happen.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:28 PM »
Are you really set on giving this card?  It seems a little bit much considering how new you are and the nature of your relationship with the coworker.

Yeah....  a bit much from someone who doesn't know her well.  It's nice of you to be concerned about her, but it might make her uncomfortable to know that.

veronaz

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »

This.

OP, I don't think a card would be appropriate.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
I think it depends on how you found out. If he felt comfortable.enough to.share his concerns directly, I don't see a problem. If somebody else told you, I wouldn't.do it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:50:12 PM »
I would not give/send a card. 

You're  hearing about this from the husband.  The wife might neither know her husband is discussing this with someone at work, nor appreciate it if she did know.   It's a very personal subject.  If I were the wife, I'd feel uncomfortable hearing 'uplifting' sentiments about something I didn't even want shared with you in the first place.

I think the husband is using you as a sounding board for his concerns rather than worry his wife further.  Consider his trust in you to be a compliment to you, so please don't blow it.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:30:34 PM »
I think the card is primarily for him. He is worried about tje well being of his child and his wife. If.somebody mentioned their fears about health concerns threatening a loved one, I would get them a card because the fear helplessness are are terrible.

Marta

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 11:31:50 PM »
Thank you everyone! After thinking it over, I won't be giving a card.

It would just be too awkward.  :)

Marta

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:33:57 PM »
Thank you, Sharnita, your post came through while I was typing. Those were my initial feelings, however now I think that if I don't know him well enough to write a heartfelt message about such a sensitive subject, I'm probably not close enough to him.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 06:27:41 AM »
I think the message can be kind of simple "I know you've been going through.a lot.and I'm thinking of you."

He felt like he knew you well enough to tell you.about it in the first place.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 06:50:10 PM »
I agree, a "thinking of you" card from you, alone, is a bit too personal/intimate at this stage of the game.

Now, if you want to get the rest of the CWs involved . . . maybe everybody pools some money for a dinner gift card (kudo's if the restaurant delivers in case wife doesn't feel up to going out) . . . something like that with everybody in the office involved might be a nice gesture.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 07:21:29 PM »
I agree, a "thinking of you" card from you, alone, is a bit too personal/intimate at this stage of the game.

Now, if you want to get the rest of the CWs involved . . . maybe everybody pools some money for a dinner gift card (kudo's if the restaurant delivers in case wife doesn't feel up to going out) . . . something like that with everybody in the office involved might be a nice gesture.

That's a good idea.

This thread is just one more reason I'm glad I am on EHell because this is just the sort of thing I would do and then worry I've gone overboard. I've still got to really take time to consider what coworker would like a gesture and who might think I was a little touched.  :P
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 08:02:16 PM »

That's a good idea.

This thread is just one more reason I'm glad I am on EHell because this is just the sort of thing I would do and then worry I've gone overboard. I've still got to really take time to consider what coworker would like a gesture and who might think I was a little touched.  :P

It's only a good idea if he has confided in the CWs in addition to the OP.  It may be that the OP is the only one he's talked to about this and if that's the case, he might very much not appreciate he and his wife being the subject of office conversation to this degree.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »

That's a good idea.

It's only a good idea if he has confided in the CWs in addition to the OP.  It may be that the OP is the only one he's talked to about this and if that's the case, he might very much not appreciate he and his wife being the subject of office conversation to this degree.

I agree