Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

No, I will not risk going to jail... Waterlight's Spine Story #5 (UD #18)

(1/4) > >>

Waterlight:
I had a run-in earlier this week with a job candidate I'll call Whine and Cheese.  We interviewed her last week and offered her a job... but this past Monday, she was a no-call, no-show for orientation.  We tried calling and emailing her and got no response whatsoever.

Then yesterday, I came into the office and found Whine and Cheese sitting in the waiting area outside it.  She claimed her purse had been stolen and, with it, her phone, her bus tickets and all her cash.  When I asked why she didn't ask to use a friend's or family member's phone, or go to the Internet terminals in the library to make contact, she said she didn't know anybody with a phone--and didn't answer my question about the library at all. 

Now, I sympathize IF there is any truth to Whine and Cheese's story... but I have reason to believe (as will be seen later) that's a very big IF.  One of the reasons I suspect her story isn't true--though it's something only another transit user like me would know--is that she lied about losing her bus tickets.  Our transit system uses a smart card, or cash, not bus tickets.

I got a written statement from her about the reasons for her no-call, no-show and sent her home.  It was in this statement that I found the "whine and cheese":  a few slices of "Why is this happening to meeeeeeeeeeeeeee" with a filled-to-the-brim glass of "I really, really want and neeeeeeeeeeeeeeed this job."

Job offer = cancelled.

Today, I opened my email and found a message from Whine and Cheese saying that because of "our mishap" she was having trouble getting a car loan.  She asked me to falsify information on the application for her car loan and say she was working full-time--and she'd change it later.   :o

What, ME risk 30 years in federal prison and/or a million-dollar fine for credit fraud, not to mention MY OWN job and the reputation of my employer, because YOU "neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a car to find a new position"?

Oh, E-Hell no!

Sometimes you don't even need to say the words "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

She got a just-the-facts email stating company policy that we do not falsify information, since it is a violation of our professional ethics as well as (in the situation she was asking for) a federal crime.

Much as I might hope that's the end of that, I am fully expecting more Whine and Cheese in my email box tomorrow morning--and I'm wondering how best to deal with her now that we've stated our policy.

Rusty:

If I read your post correctly, you said the job offer was cancelled.

No further correspondence with this person is necessary and if she does contact you again I would either file it to trash or reply telling her you have no further interest in her life or her problems.

Danika:
Wow!  :o The audacity of some people!

I would not respond to her at all. I'd ignore all future voice mails and emails from her.

But I would save them. In case they become numerous or slanderous and you need to cover your behind and prove to others in your department that you never made any mis-steps.

crella:

--- Quote ---I had a run-in earlier this week with a job candidate I'll call Whine and Cheese.  We interviewed her last week and offered her a job... but this past Monday, she was a no-call, no-show for orientation.  We tried calling and emailing her and got no response whatsoever.

--- End quote ---

Ooooh, I hate when people do that! You go through the whole interview process, pick someone and then they don't show up for work! It's only happened to me once, but it was aggravating. She strung me along (and I gave her the benefit of the doubt) by saying her grandfather had died (I know, but what if...?) The third morning I told her that she no longer had a job. I think she was just hanging in to see if a better offer panned out. I hope you find someone else soon!

Good for you! I don't think you need to answer any more of her mails.

veronaz:
Good grief.  ::)

OP, to answer your question I would not discard anything if you hear from her again.  I would say something like “the job offer was rescinded because (no show/no call), and there is no need for any further contact”.

The reason I say don’t discard anything is you never know……she might have the gall to try to file some kind of complaint – which would go nowhere.  But, you need to keep the paper trail and notes about everything that happened for documentation.  (I'm sure you have better uses for your time, but unfortunately such is life in the business world.)

What a piece of work.  The drama you saw thus far is probably the tip of the iceberg.  Imagine what a prize employee she would have been.  ::)

Best wishes finding a drama-free, reliable employee soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version