Author Topic: Thank you card for coworker's nice gesture?  (Read 1037 times)

Mrs. Tilney

Thank you card for coworker's nice gesture?
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »
A few days ago, I came to my desk to find an envelope. Inside of the envelope was a GroupOn for a pizza place located near my office, with a note on the back from a coworker thanking me for my help and support. I've worked with this coworker for about a year, and in the past few months we've started to work more closely together as he helps with a certain aspect of my product line (which was an entirely new area for him). We've also gotten a bit closer as friends, as each of us has had other coworkers whom we've been close with leave our organization.

I immediately went to his office and thanked him verbally, and I most likely will use the GroupOn for a lunch with him. Is a written thank-you note also necessary? Would it be awkward to invite other coworkers if we go out? The coupon is good for $20, which would cover 2 people, but probably not 3. CW and I have lunch out together fairly regularly (maybe once a week), sometimes with other coworkers, sometimes without.

(He has a girlfriend with whom he lives and whom I've socialized with a number of times, so I doubt there's any romantic hopes on his side for this.)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
Re: Thank you card for coworker's nice gesture?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »

As much as I love written notes, I think a written thank you would be overkill. Especially since the coupon was to thank you to begin with, that would get into a neverending hamster wheel of thank yous.
I am never sure about inviting other people when there is a coupon to be used. I know I personally would feel awkward; but I'm not sure it's actuallly innapropriate.

...and welcome aboard!  :) I just happened to notice the low post count. It's always nice to see new Ehellions.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 06:29:58 PM »
I agree with hobish, especially since you'll be using the coupon with him and will probably (I know I would) verbally thank him again for the lunch, I think a written note would be overkill.

I don't see anything awkward about inviting other CWs to join you for lunch, since this is somewhat of a normal thing. If there's a bit left over on your coupon you could use the extra for the tip.

Mrs. Tilney

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:05:20 PM »
I was thinking that it would be overkill--good to get the backup for that!

And thanks for the welcome! :) I've been lurking forever.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »
Did you let the person know that you received the gift?  check
Did you let the person know you appreciated the gift? check

Anyway, the coupon was a THank you...thanking for a thank you is too much.