General Etiquette > Techno-quette

What do you do if someone asks if you've deleted their husband on FB?

<< < (5/6) > >>

something.new.every.day:
I feel so often in the posts I read here that the "headline gets buried".

What I see here is "Sister is Married to an Abuser". That is a red flag. THAT is a family emergency. But the post is about a little Facebook annoyance.

Has anyone ever tried to offer her support to leave this controlling abuser?

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: something.new.every.day on September 08, 2013, 12:41:49 PM ---I feel so often in the posts I read here that the "headline gets buried".

What I see here is "Sister is Married to an Abuser". That is a red flag. THAT is a family emergency. But the post is about a little Facebook annoyance.

--- End quote ---

No the headline isn't buried.  The OP asked about a specific situation, the facebook post.  Focusing on other parts of the OP's life takes the thread off topic and can lead to locking of the thread.  Also spousal abuse gets into legal territory, which is not allowed here on e-hell.

Sootikin:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on September 08, 2013, 01:38:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: something.new.every.day on September 08, 2013, 12:41:49 PM ---I feel so often in the posts I read here that the "headline gets buried".

--- End quote ---

No the headline isn't buried.  The OP asked about a specific situation, the facebook post.  Focusing on other parts of the OP's life takes the thread off topic and can lead to locking of the thread.  Also spousal abuse gets into legal territory, which is not allowed here on e-hell.

--- End quote ---

And a bunch of internet strangers on an etiquette site are not the place to ask for help.

Waltzing Matilda:
I have had a similar situation with the wife of a guy I have known for about 25 years. I only see them once a year but every.single.time she complains that I have unfriended her on facebook. Loudly. While in my mind, I can say 'No, Dina, I made a mistake accepting your facebook friend request. I've NEVER liked you!', I know that if I said it out loud, it would probably see me cast into the ninth circle of e-hell. Instead, I smile and say 'Gee, facebook sure does some strange things sometimes doesn't it?'. Yes, I'm lying through my teeth, but, d'you know, some argument just aren't worth having. Have a clean-out of your facebook friends would be my advice.

NotTheNarcissist:

--- Quote from: Waltzing Matilda on November 25, 2013, 09:15:02 AM ---I have had a similar situation with the wife of a guy I have known for about 25 years. I only see them once a year but every.single.time she complains that I have unfriended her on facebook. Loudly. While in my mind, I can say 'No, Dina, I made a mistake accepting your facebook friend request. I've NEVER liked you!', I know that if I said it out loud, it would probably see me cast into the ninth circle of e-hell. Instead, I smile and say 'Gee, facebook sure does some strange things sometimes doesn't it?'. Yes, I'm lying through my teeth, but, d'you know, some argument just aren't worth having. Have a clean-out of your facebook friends would be my advice.

--- End quote ---

I un-friended about 90 "friends" on FB about 3 yrs ago. It was so freeing. Now I am extremely picky. Trying to not repeat my mistake. Everyone should clean out their FB friends list every now & then. Unless they are smarter than me & were careful to begin with :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version