Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Vegetarians! Help with meat substitute question. #11 Success! #15 Recipe. =)

(1/4) > >>

WolfWay:
My mum has a fantastic recipe for a lamb chop marinade that is drool worthy. I want to find out if I can use the same marinade for a vegetarian option, like possibly those giant mushrooms that some people use in place of burger patties in a burger. I just wanted to do some research with more experienced cooks before I commit to possibly wasting marinade and mushrooms.

Has anyone tried meat marinade on mushrooms? Would it work?

NyaChan:
It should work on portobello mushrooms and also on tofu.  I marinate both and then either grill or sauté them.  Should be yummy.

ETA:  Not a vegetarian though :)

Amara:
I don't see why not. Portobello mushrooms are "meaty" and so they should soak it up quite nicely.

hobish:

--- Quote from: NyaChan on August 23, 2013, 12:08:53 PM ---It should work on portobello mushrooms and also on tofu.  I marinate both and then either grill or sauté them.  Should be yummy.

ETA:  Not a vegetarian though :)

--- End quote ---

Yup, yup! Sounds yummy! Since it is marinade for lamb I bet the mushrooms would be especially tasty. Maybe i am biased, though, because i always manage to screw up tofu.

hobish = former vegetarian

ladyknight1:
Very timely thread. I find that mushrooms make an excellent meat substitute. I am bringing vegetarian chili for a potluck next week and will be using ground mushrooms to provide a little meatiness to the chili.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version