Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Vegetarians! Help with meat substitute question. #11 Success! #15 Recipe. =)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Sheila Take a Bow:
I've never marinated a mushroom, but I'd imagine that you can't just drop a raw portobello in a marinade all day like you can a steak.  I'd think it would end up being mushy.  (I don't even wash mushrooms -- I'm a brusher.)

I can't imagine it would take long for the mushroom to absorb flavors, though.

Amara:
I wouldn't soak a portobello for more than 30 minutes. You're right about the potential squishiness.

alkira6:

--- Quote from: Amara on August 23, 2013, 02:16:39 PM ---I wouldn't soak a portobello for more than 30 minutes. You're right about the potential squishiness.

--- End quote ---

Kind of off topic, but if you do marinate it all day and then cook it on the grill, leaving it on in all of its soggy glory and letting it dry out makes a slightly weird but absolutely delicious mushroom "jerky".

WolfWay:
Thanks everyone!  :) I'll give it a 30 minute soak in the marinade next week and see how it turns out. <crosses fingers>

sweetonsno:
Chiming in a hair late here, but seitan is another good option for vegetarians. There are lots of different brands out there and they all need to be treated differently, though. Some of it comes pre-marinated, too, so check the label.

My favorite brand is probably Gardein. Their homestyle "beef" is quite meaty and neutral enough in flavor that it would soak up a sauce nicely. It isn't designed for marinades, though. (You're supposed to sear it and then simmer it in your sauce or stew. It does take on the flavors, though.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version