Author Topic: Vegetarians! Help with meat substitute question. #11 Success! #15 Recipe. =)  (Read 1216 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
My mum has a fantastic recipe for a lamb chop marinade that is drool worthy. I want to find out if I can use the same marinade for a vegetarian option, like possibly those giant mushrooms that some people use in place of burger patties in a burger. I just wanted to do some research with more experienced cooks before I commit to possibly wasting marinade and mushrooms.

Has anyone tried meat marinade on mushrooms? Would it work?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:59:33 AM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

NyaChan

Re: Vegetarians! Help with meat substitute question.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:08:53 PM »
It should work on portobello mushrooms and also on tofu.  I marinate both and then either grill or sauté them.  Should be yummy.

ETA:  Not a vegetarian though :)

Amara

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
I don't see why not. Portobello mushrooms are "meaty" and so they should soak it up quite nicely.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
It should work on portobello mushrooms and also on tofu.  I marinate both and then either grill or sauté them.  Should be yummy.

ETA:  Not a vegetarian though :)

Yup, yup! Sounds yummy! Since it is marinade for lamb I bet the mushrooms would be especially tasty. Maybe i am biased, though, because i always manage to screw up tofu.

hobish = former vegetarian
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
Very timely thread. I find that mushrooms make an excellent meat substitute. I am bringing vegetarian chili for a potluck next week and will be using ground mushrooms to provide a little meatiness to the chili.

Sheila Take a Bow

• Formerly arija but I felt like a name change.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
I've never marinated a mushroom, but I'd imagine that you can't just drop a raw portobello in a marinade all day like you can a steak.  I'd think it would end up being mushy.  (I don't even wash mushrooms -- I'm a brusher.)

I can't imagine it would take long for the mushroom to absorb flavors, though.

Amara

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »
I wouldn't soak a portobello for more than 30 minutes. You're right about the potential squishiness.

alkira6

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
I wouldn't soak a portobello for more than 30 minutes. You're right about the potential squishiness.

Kind of off topic, but if you do marinate it all day and then cook it on the grill, leaving it on in all of its soggy glory and letting it dry out makes a slightly weird but absolutely delicious mushroom "jerky".

WolfWay

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:23 AM »
Thanks everyone!  :) I'll give it a 30 minute soak in the marinade next week and see how it turns out. <crosses fingers>
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

sweetonsno

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »
Chiming in a hair late here, but seitan is another good option for vegetarians. There are lots of different brands out there and they all need to be treated differently, though. Some of it comes pre-marinated, too, so check the label.

My favorite brand is probably Gardein. Their homestyle "beef" is quite meaty and neutral enough in flavor that it would soak up a sauce nicely. It isn't designed for marinades, though. (You're supposed to sear it and then simmer it in your sauce or stew. It does take on the flavors, though.)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
I'm late to this, but I once used this recipe as a base for doing tofu stuffed portabello mushrooms. So I'm thinking to marinate the tofu in the marinade, stuff the mushrooms with the tofu mixture and then just brush the mushrooms with the marinade before baking or grilling. I wrapped mine in foil then put on the grill.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tofu-and-Walnut-Stuffed-Mushrooms-230149

WolfWay

Re: Vegetarians! Help with meat substitute question. #11 Success!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »
Update: Wow! That was delicious!!! I need to do those as filling in a veggy burger.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:20:12 PM »
Update: Wow! That was delicious!!! I need to do those as filling in a veggy burger.

So glad "that" was delicious!

Please share your recipe with us . . . what is in the marinade?

I'm betting you used Portobello's. I love a portobello sandwich, but I only order them at restaurants because I don't know how to cook them (I'm not a vegetarian.)

How long did you marinade them and how did you cook them? Did you serve them on (what kind of) bread, or with pasta? rice?

What else did you serve with the dish?

C'mon, WolfWay -- You can't just say they were delicious and leave us hanging!

;D

WolfWay

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 12:24:37 AM »
I'll have to get the exact recipe off my mum. She just handed me a freshly made batch of marinade to use.  ;)

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:37 AM »
I'd also love to know the recipe if you manage to get hold of it!   ;D