Author Topic: Anybody remember a "shaken baby" episode of Law & Order?  (Read 1025 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Anybody remember a "shaken baby" episode of Law & Order?
« on: August 23, 2013, 12:44:28 PM »
Or another similar show?  My husband was watching it once, and he doesn't watch SVU, so I don't think it was that one.  But it could have been something other than Law & Order.

Anyway, the episode has a nanny accused of shaking a baby (not sure if the baby survived or not, but I'm assuming not).  It came out during the questioning that the nanny was *not* shaking the baby because she was angry... it was because the parents had ordered her to keep the baby awake all day so that the baby would sleep all night and not disturb them.  Since, of course, babies need to sleep a lot more than 12 hours, the poor baby was falling asleep all day and the nanny kept trying to keep the baby awake by jostling or shaking it, and eventually it was so tired that the nanny just could not get it awake and shook it hard enough to cause damage.  Poor baby, poor nanny.  (I'm only using "it" in reference to "the baby," since I don't remember the sex or name--I do like children, honest.)

Does anybody remember this episode?  I'm having trouble finding it, as all that's coming up when I search is a 2003 episode of Law & Order: SVU about a 4-year-old who was shaken, and that's obviously a totally different scenario.  I'm looking for episode name or number.

schnauzermom

Re: Anybody remember a "shaken baby" episode of Law & Order?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
The one that comes to my mind is a svu one where a child was found beaten in a park and they thought it was a guy taking pictues of kids, then the nanny was a suspect.

Karen

Brock

Library Dragon

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
OP you're right, it's from 2003 SVU and called "Shaken." 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

snowdragon

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 12:59:35 PM »
There was also the Law and Order: Trial by Jury Episode BabyBoom...but it has a different twist to it too.

I can't go through all those links..it makes me cry to read all those stories of children hurt.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
That sounds like the "Shaken" episode.  She goes missing in the park, somebody mentions a guy with a camera, then they find out her, injured.  Her injuries are from being shaken, but it happened some time before, so they go back to the household and the nanny and stuff.  But the child in that episode was 4.  The one I'm looking for was a different episode, because the issue was with shaking the baby to keep him/her awake all day so he/she would sleep all night, and that wasn't at all the reason somebody shook the 4-year-old.  Also, I know I heard the episode because my husband was watching it, and he hates SVU for whatever reason and won't watch it.  It had to either be one of the other L&Os or a different but similar in style TV show.

gmama

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
OP, I did a search and there's an episode of Law & Order: Trial by Jury called "Baby Boom" that has to do with a nanny accused of shaking a baby.  I can't find a full synopsis though but it mentions a plot twist where the defense tries to put the blame on someone else (maybe referring to the parents?).  Hope that helps!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
OP, I did a search and there's an episode of Law & Order: Trial by Jury called "Baby Boom" that has to do with a nanny accused of shaking a baby.  I can't find a full synopsis though but it mentions a plot twist where the defense tries to put the blame on someone else (maybe referring to the parents?).  Hope that helps!

Kibre and Gaffney prosecute a young nanny (Elisabeth Moss) accused of murder for shaking an infant and bashing in her head; but they run into a stone wall when the presiding judge (Aasif Mandvi) intentionally blocks every move they make. After Kibre rejects Gaffney's desperate offer to resign to blunt the judge's irrational ire, they discover the tough defense attorney has coached his client well and intends to point the finger of murder elsewhere. (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Law_%26_Order:_Trial_by_Jury_episodes)

squeakers

"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin