General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Will & Kate Thank-You Notes

<< < (2/2)

Carotte:

--- Quote from: goldilocks on September 03, 2013, 04:35:25 PM ---Really?  Because I didn't think a form letter, even from royalty, was correct.

--- End quote ---

They probably hand-wrote at least a handfull for immediate family and very close friends.
You probably don't send a printed generic thank you card to the Queen when she's your grandmother.
It's not about "hey, they sent thank you cards to the people they know and sent gifts/well wishes" because that's normal and no one cares, but "hey, they even sent a card back to all random people that sent a card"

Winterlight:

--- Quote from: RingTailedLemur on September 03, 2013, 04:42:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: goldilocks on September 03, 2013, 04:35:25 PM ---Really?  Because I didn't think a form letter, even from royalty, was correct.

--- End quote ---

They probably got thousands upon thousands of notes and gifts.  I think they get leeway for that.

--- End quote ---

The Cambridges tried to steer people to donating to their local children's charities instead, but they still got huge amounts of stuff, just like at their wedding. These letters are going out to the general public, not to people they know personally. I'm not giving a pass to regular people who don't want to bother sending actual letters to Aunt Caroline and BFF David who've given them stuff. In this case, though, I think it's a reasonable approach. 

TootsNYC:

--- End quote ---

Actually, Miss Manners herself supports a form letter when it's to people you don't *really* know. She specifically mentions elected officials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version