General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Gift giving at work

<< < (2/3) > >>

veronaz:
Agree with PP.  Keep it outside of the office.

dragon_heart:

--- Quote from: camlan on August 24, 2013, 10:58:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: POF on August 24, 2013, 08:50:55 AM ---And this is why I banned public gift giving in my departments.  if you want to have a gift exchange - you do it at lunch or after work.  My staff think I am the scrooge - but after dealing with gifting drama - I ended it.

--- End quote ---

This.

People are giving gifts to their friends. It does not have to be done in the office.

And if people are using the gifts to fan the flames of office drama, which they clearly are in the OP, then the easiest way to deal with the issue is just to ban exchanging gifts in the office.

--- End quote ---

True, but what if they bring said gifts to the office and display them at their desks?

camlan:

--- Quote from: dragon_heart on August 25, 2013, 02:00:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: camlan on August 24, 2013, 10:58:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: POF on August 24, 2013, 08:50:55 AM ---And this is why I banned public gift giving in my departments.  if you want to have a gift exchange - you do it at lunch or after work.  My staff think I am the scrooge - but after dealing with gifting drama - I ended it.

--- End quote ---

This.

People are giving gifts to their friends. It does not have to be done in the office.

And if people are using the gifts to fan the flames of office drama, which they clearly are in the OP, then the easiest way to deal with the issue is just to ban exchanging gifts in the office.

--- End quote ---

True, but what if they bring said gifts to the office and display them at their desks?

--- End quote ---

But the gift would not be immediately obviously a gift, just a new thing on someone's desk. And if a co-worker asked about it, there's a difference between someone saying, "Oh, Lucy gave me that for Christmas" and seeing every single employee in your department with a gift-wrapped package on their desk while your desk is empty.

The co-workers who bring in gifts for all but one or two people are breaking a social code that is so basic it is taught to everyone in kindergarten--you bring enough to share with everyone, or you don't bring anything.

If you really hate Susie and don't want to give her a gift, fine. But you don't bring in gifts for everyone else except Susie and distribute them publicly. That's mean. And rude.

shhh its me:
   If you give someone a gift because they are your friend you do it outside work. If you are giving gifts to co workers you do so to all equal co workers.  I can give just my assistant a gift because they are my only assistant or everyone on my floor in my dept whatever but the line need to be work related not "I don't like you , I do like you."  or via gift exchange where everyone is allowed to participate but not required to.

veronaz:
Long time ago I worked in an office where people did this kind of nonsense with invitations to parties or whatever.  They made a big production of passing them out and then not giving one to someone they were mad at or didn’t like.  Funny thing was a couple people said “No, thanks” and returned the invitations.  >:D Finally the supervisor put a stop to it and they had to pass out their invitations after hours outside the office.

(corrected typo)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version