Author Topic: Individuals with disabilities S/O  (Read 2319 times)

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
Re: Individuals with disabilities S/O
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
It is the little day-to-day things, like the ruler, that seem to fall through the cracks. It is apparently no one's job to look at the lesson plans for the week ahead and think, "Oh, rulers. Can Nephew use a standard ruler? If he can't, what are the options?"

Once my brother has identified the need, the school is more than willing to fill the need. The problem is that it can take a week or more to sort out, and by then, the measuring unit is over and the class has moved on to something else.

My advice would be not to wait until the lesson to figure out which accomodations are needed.  Instead, at the ARD, these needs should be addressed and specified on the accomodations/assistive technology page for the entire year.  (The sped teacher and the parents both should have input here.)  That way, the equipment can be procured at the start of the year and would be available whenever it's needed.  All the teachers are put on notice by the IEP that certain accomodations and technology will be needed.

For example, everyone now knows nephew needs a special ruler -- that should go on the accomodations page for the whole year.

Of course, sometimes a need may not be recognized and may be left out of the IEP.  But as nephew progresses through the school system, this should happen less and less often, as parents and staff come to better understand his needs.

And it is (or should be) the job of everyone (both general ed and sped) who works with the student to provide appropriate accomodations.  Our principal, for example, requires our sped department to provide copies of accomodations pages to every teacher who teaches a student in our caseload before the first day of school -- because both general ed and sped teachers are required to provide the accomodations.  (It was quite a scramble to get it done, but we did it!)

JustEstelle

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 01:32:18 AM »
As a substitute teacher, I would love to accommodate children with IEPs; the problem is that I usually don't know about them! Parents, please ask your child's teacher(s) to share the info or at least the accommodations with their subs. (Many teacher's don't share because they are afraid of violating the child's privacy.)

It is illegal for anyone besides the parents, the child's teachers, and the members of the ARD committee to know the specifics of a student's IEP.  So a substitute would not legally be privy to such information.  However, I might leave a note as to who might be eligible to go to Content Mastery or something of the sort.  All that says to the sub is that those particular students are eligible for services but no specifics are given.

JustEstelle

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 01:40:47 AM »
I was really lucky at my last school in that the special education department stayed on top of making sure all regular education teachers had a list of accommodations for every student in their care who had IEPs.  Also, they made sure that we and our students were aware of any adaptive materials that were needed and available to help students be successful.  Same with the students covered under 504.

cwm

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
At my elementary school, we were the deaf magnet school. I ended up in 6th grade being an aide to a younger student. I think he wasn't too many years younger than me, but he was blind, deaf, and had profound mental issues. But I went every week to go see him and do some basic activities with him, and he was always so happy to have me there.

We also had several deaf mainstream students, all they needed was an interpreter, and there was one for each grade, as well as a few extra on hand to switch out during the day.

When I got to high school, we had a girl with a severe sunlight allergy. As in she couldn't be in direct sunlight for more than about two minutes before her skin would start to burn and blister. She'd already had skin cancer six times by the time she got to high school. She got to leave class early, wear a hat, and run through the halls before passing period, and had a pass to use the elevator instead of the very well-lit staircases. We also had several of the deaf students I'd gone to elementary school with. One of them needed special accommodation in gym class, as she couldn't swim but still had to participate in the swim unit, but she had a permanent aide assigned to her and they did simple kicking exercises in the shallow end where she could stand.

My sister works with an autism program now in an elementary school. She says that they're doing amazing things with those kids, and that they've got such a great response from the district that the program looks like it might be able to expand soon. She's seen so many kids even working half of last year make amazing progress, and she's really looking forward to helping them out again this year.