Author Topic: Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?  (Read 5369 times)

Brisvegasgal

Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
I was watching a movie last night and they crowned a king & queen at a prom. I'm guessing that because it happens so often in movies that it is a real thing. Is that right? And how does it work? Do people just write random names on a piece of paper or is there some kind of pre prom voting system? Also are there kings & queens of other events?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Yes, it's a real thing, or at least at many schools. Not all schools necessarily do it. Generally there are nominations in advance to choose the "court", and on prom night the king and queen are announced.

If there's a prom king/queen, then there usually isn't a king/queen of other events. But some schools have something different in place of the prom court. When I was a kid, my school had the "coronation" -- a big school-wide event. A king and queen would be chosen of the senior class, the other high schoolers would be the royal court, and the lower classes would put on little skits and songs to entertain the court. I got to be one of the queen's train-bearers in 1st grade, and it was a huge deal. :)  That was a really small school, though. It couldn't have been done at the larger schools I went to. I heard even that school stopped doing it a while back.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:47:32 PM »
Yes, it is a real thing at many US high schools.

There can also be a Homecoming King and Queen. Prom is the seniors' last dance before they graduate, and is usually a formal affair. Homecoming is usually in the fall, during football season, and is a day or weekend when graduates of the school return to campus for the "big game." The students will have a big dance that weekend, as well.

Typically, there is some sort of nomination and/or voting process for the King and Queen in the weeks leading up to the prom. In some schools, there may also be voting for junior, sophomore and/or freshman Princes and Princesses. The results are usually announced during the dance.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
Yup definitely real. 

In my high school, the seniors (year 12) were prom King and Queen,  Juniors(year 11) were Prince and Princesses, Sophomores(year 10) were Dukes and Duchesses, and Freshmen(year 9) were Earls and Countesses.  All of the positions were voted on individually by members of that class. 

Homecoming King and Queen could be anyone from Sophomore-Seniors.  Freshmen were not allowed on the ballot, but they could vote. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:07:40 PM »
It works differently at different schools. In my experience,the students attending have to buy tickets ahead of time so there is a list of all the.girls and all the boys. From that list, people vote at the beginning of the evening. They announce king and queen toward the end of the evening. They aren't always dating each other.

Homecoming court is elected and then from the court king and qieen are elected.

kudeebee

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 01:54:06 AM »
In the schools in the areas we have lived there is a homecoming court.  Some courts are only seniors, some include representatives from each class.  In each case, the king/queen are chosen from the seniors.  I don't recall any schools having prom king/queens in the places we lived, though friends will talk about that.  When I was in high school, we had a homecoming queen only chosen from seniors and a winter snowball king/queen chosen from senior candidates.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm in Texas. During the holy season called football you have homecoming. For homecoming you must have a king and queen.

Prom King and Queen we didn't have. I think that would be a bigger deal at a school where Jr and/or Senior prom were the students first big formal dance.

The way it worked for us -
8th grade you took ballroom dance from the Smiths. Classes had no connection to the school district but were grouped by your HS. There were some exceptions Cousin C took the class with the kids that would go on to my HS, because her HS was in a different county and she knew a lot of kids from Church who would go to my HS. It was required that there be at least on blow out fight between rival HS between classes. (Why they scheduled rival schools one after the other I don't know.)

9 - 11 grade you were in Dance club. You paid dues, had a board, planned 4 - 5 dances a year.  Ranging from Hayride casual to very formal. I HATE that type of thing still by the time I was in 11th grade I had 10 or more formal dresses.

12th grade/senior year - some clubs kept going. One of my first cousins is in her 60's and their club still has 1 casual and 1 formal dance a year. Others disbanneded

Honestly by Prom time we had had it with formal dances. Most people just bought tickets to have a reason to stay out all night, rented limos, got wasted (Legally for most of them drinking age was 18 then), got hotel rooms and played scrabble. I stayed home. [size=78%]Those that did show made quite an impressions. Especially the group in the gold [/size]Mercedes[size=78%]  They got lost and stopped to ask the nice police officers for help. Which led to a lecture Monday over the [/size]announcements[size=78%] that if you got lost, especially in the 4th or 5th wards, don't stop and ask the police for help - when they have their guns out and 10 guys leaning on a wall being searched. [/size][size=78%]I went to school with idiots! By the time of Sis's prom it was announced if you bought a ticket but  did not show by X time and stay till the end your parents would be called. [/size]
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 10:20:05 AM »
I went to high school in Texas and we had a homecoming king and queen, but we did not pick them again for prom. The homecoming king and queen were seniors, and they were voted on by a process of nomination then election, with one person from the major cliques (band, sports, nerds, richy-rich kids and non-white kids (disclaimer--this is how it was seen broadly, not by me specifically; many nominees crossed boundaries and thus were exceptionally popular)) generally making it onto the court, and the jocks winning in the end. Some years a special ed kid or very popular nerd would have the edge, though.

Aside from the ceremony at halftime of the homecoming football game (all the nominees came out wearing their homecoming dresses or suits, and the winner was announced, with the girl given a big bouquet and maybe a tiara or sash), I don't recall it meaning a darn thing. We didn't have a parade or a special dance for the winners or anything. The nominees *might* have had to do a skit at a pep rally, but that's about all I recall.

We also had the 'superlatives' but I don't remember voting on them really mattering -- the yearbook staff had the final say, so their friends were generally picked as that grade's "most popular," "best dressed," "best couple," "most likely to succeed," etc.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »
We had homecoming king/queen and May king/queen. For homecoming, students could vote all of the preceding week (there was a ballot box in the Student Council room for this) and they announced the king/queen and the court at a coronation ceremony day or two before the dance. IIRC, there was one song at the dance where just the court danced. For homecoming, the court was made up of the 10 or so runners-up in the election. For May court, the faculty nominated the court and then students voted for a king and queen within that group. So while homecoming court was pretty much only the wealthy/athletic crowd, May court was a little more diverse. The May event was separate from prom and had the coronation and some staged dances, for which the dancers were also chosen by faculty nomination (this is where I came in!). Also known as an excuse to wear your prom dress again. ;)

cwm

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:24:23 AM »
We didn't have homecoming court, but did have Prom court. Just a King and Queen. How it worked was that there was one day that all the seniors filled out a ballot composed of the entire senior class. The top five of each gender was nominated on a general ballot, and the voting was open to the entire school, regardless of whether you had a ticket to Prom.

Prom was only open to juniors/seniors (years 11/12), and near the end of the night, the winners would be announced and they'd have a dance. It usually ended up at our school that they were dating. All the "popular" couples that were on the ballot made signs and posted them all over the school reminding people to vote for them.

Personally, I always understood it to be nothing more than the popularity contest it was and never paid it too much attention. None of my friends ever made it on the ballot, and the people that did wouldn't have ever given me a second look in the hallways, so I kind of ignored the whole thing.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
We had a two-fold approach to Prom/Homecoming court. Ballots went out where you could nominate anyone you liked, then later on, a second ballot would go around with the names of those most often nominated. For freshman through junior year, you could only be nominated for the Court - only seniors could be King/Queen. There was also a rule in place that if you won a place on Court, you could not be on it again.

Our class actually specifically passed around a message that one particular girl was not to be voted in as Court representative because people wanted someone nice to be Homecoming Queen. (She was so happy!) Court was announced at the pep rally right before the big game for Homecoming or at the dance for Prom.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »
We live in Texas. At my kids' HS they have Prom King and Queen. Students are nominated about a month before prom and then the 4 or 5 with the highest number of nominations are then voted on the week of prom. The ones with the highest vote counts are announced as Prom King and Queen and the others nominated are part of their "court". At their school, they actually announce the winners prior to prom but do a "crowning" ceremony at the dance.

For Homecoming, they also have a Homecoming court. Each grade nominates candidates and then each grade votes for their favorites. The elected seniors are Homecoming King and Queen and the other grades elected favorites are part of the court.

When I grew up, in addition to the homecoming king and queen, each organization would select a senior girl as "sweetheart" to represent their group at the parade and football half time ceremony. My kids school doesn't do this as it's too large and just too many different organizations. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 12:14:25 PM »
I went to MIT in the early 80's when it was still about 80% male. Instead of King and Queen, they had Ugliest Man on Campus.  Candidates had to raise money for charity; biggest money-raiser won UMOC.

Don't know if they still do this or have made it gender-neutral.

ETA that I just Googled it, and it's now "Ugliest Manifestation on Campus."
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 12:21:41 PM »
My son's high school has both a Homecoming court and a Prom court.

My college has a homecoming court.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 01:05:27 PM »
I'm in northwestern Canada and we don't do that here.  I'm glad because it never seemed to me to be anything other than an organised popularity contest.
"After all this time?"
"Always."