Author Topic: Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?  (Read 5640 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
Usually it's a popularity contest, but occasionally it works out as something else.  In the good cases, it's a grassroots campaign to nominate some not-traditionally-popular person - a particularly nice student with special needs, a transgender student, a student with significant health problems - and show support for them as a school.  In the bad cases, it's a bullying campaign to nominate an unpopular person and then make it really clear that the election was ironic, in the "you're so ugly/unpopular/stupid you'd never stand a chance of being elected if I hadn't made it happen" kind of way.

ETA: It can also be poking fun of the other winner, too - the mean girls elect an undesirable as prom queen so the most popular guy has to dance with her, etc.  Luckily that's rare, but it does happen  :-\
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:13:22 PM by Slartibartfast »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
I'm in northwestern Canada and we don't do that here.  I'm glad because it never seemed to me to be anything other than an organised popularity contest.
Well, actually, that is exactly what it is. I think it is what it was meant to be. But each student gets to decide what they want to base their vote one... some pick the most handsome, some the friendliest, others vote for their social group. At my DD's school last year, her class voted the two nicest kids in their school. The boy I was actually suprised about. He's a self proclaimed HP nerd, participates in drama and choir, doesn't play a sport, is of an ethnicity that is not prominate in their school, and is not what anyone would consider overly handsome. And he'd probably only had a couple of dates in HS and even those were as group dates to school dances. But he really is one of the boys that EVERYONE was friends with because he was so darn nice and never had a bad thing to say about anyone. The girl again wouldn't have been voted most beautiful, but was an honor student, active in various activities, and was extremely nice. She even initially tried to turn down the nomination because she said she knew a lot of the other girls had always dreamed of being queen and she'd never even considered it as a possibility. DD said no one could remember her ever being involved in any junior high or high school drama. She was always the peace maker.

We think their elections were in response to a homecoming campaign like Slartibartfast described. A openly gay guy was nominated for homecoming king as a joke and they started a facebook/instagram campaign to poke fun of the guy. But the class rallied around the boy and the mean kids spearheading the meanness got outed and they were banned from all homecoming activities.

GSNW

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 01:22:54 AM »
Ah, high school.

My school did homecoming king/queen, chosen from the senior class, and junior-sophomore-freshman prince/princesses, all voted on by the corresponding class (and everyone voted for king/queen).  Prom king and queen were nominated/voted on by the senior class. 

The town I grew up in is close to a very large Native American reservation, thusly has a large native population.  My senior year, the homecoming king was from that group.  It got really ugly and some of the "popular" kids were quite vocal and nasty about how it was "reverse racism" because "everyone from X tribe only voted for X because they are from the same tribe, and the 'white vote' was split."  Really ridiculous, you would think it was an election for something that actually mattered.

During prom, a nice pair of kids that were well-liked but not part of the popular crowd wound up on the ballot.  Everyone voted for them - or at least, enough people did that they won.  Again, the cool kids were furious that a pair of "orch dorks" won "their" contest.  I found their rage at this pretty hysterical (I was a band nerd, so felt a bit of triumph!)

Contests like this are, in my opinion, exactly what GreenEyedHawk stated they are.  And I think they do more damage than good.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:08 AM »
The popularity angle of a Prom King and Queen election is precisely why we didn't have a Prom in High School.

Ours was a co-Ed Catholic school that drew students from the entire county and an adjoining state.  The logistics alone would have been crazy. 

Our church did a Queen and King at the annual youth dance one year but it wasn't a popularity contest.  The youth Leaders selected the honorees on the basis of service to the parish and the community.  Activities such as helping to coach Little League teams, tutoring young kids or being a Candy-Striper at the local hospital were counted.  That seems a more rational way of doing things. 

GSNW

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
I would be interested to hear if anyone here went to a school where nominees actually actively campaigned for prom king/queen.  I have seen that theme in several movies but not heard of it happening in real life.

My mom was a cheerleader all four years of high school.  She told me that the system at her school was that girls auditioned and the coaches would pick more than necessary - say, 20, but only 15 of them could be on the squad.  So the 20 that auditioned would have to campaign and the school would pick which 15 they wanted to represent them.

I can't figure out why she put herself through that!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 10:04:20 PM »
No, nobody campaigned. They were pretty mellow.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
Yeah there was no campaigning really, but everyone knew who was putting their name up for nomination.

AvidReader

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 07:52:38 AM »
DS was nominated to be in the Homecoming Court and was thus on the ballot to be voted Homecoming King during his Senior Year, 10 years ago.  PPs have informed on this activity.  We had to buy DS his first suit.  The crowning of the King and Queen was to be at a fall football game.  So, DH and I had to go to the game to see the outcome.  It was the only game we went to.  High school football, while big in our major metropolitan area, is not the be-all and end-all of Friday nights like it is in many parts of the country. 

So, at half-time, the Homecoming Court was presented on the field and after the crowning, with large velvet-lined crowns similar to the large crown that the Queen wears to open Parliament, the King (not DS) and Queen were enrobed in purple capes with faux ermine fringe and got into the back of a golf-cart, facing out, for a spin around the football field while all the time making the royal wave.  I never laughed so hard in my life.  We didn't stay for the rest of the game.  I think the K&Q and the Court were also presented at the follow-on Homecoming Dance.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:06:24 AM by AvidReader »

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 02:12:36 AM »
Thanks very much for your answers. I love that I can post random questions on this site to find out the the way things work on the other side of the world :)

faithlessone

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 11:23:51 AM »
How's this for a British twist?

My school's sixth form (Junior/Senior year of high-school) had a Head Boy and Head Girl - who were picked by a process of a shortlist (drawn up by the teachers, 6 of each) and then a vote. It was always a popularity contest, but the shortlist meant that the right people usually won. We had a Sixth Form Ball every year right before the Summer holidays, which was when the following year's HB/HG were announced. They were given their badges by their 'out-going' counterparts.

I recently discovered that the year after I left, they went a bit more American, and the HB/HG are now crowned and have a dance together after the announcement!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
It's possible to have a prom without a king/queen. It's just a dance.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
Here in the Deep South in the late 80's we had a Homecoming King & Queen...I remember a good bit of gossip/speculation about who would win, but it was really just the same 2 or 3 popular people whose names always came up.  I'm not sure anyone but their "crowd" even bothered voting.

I don't remember if we had Prom King & Queen or not.
                www.ellenseltz.com

MurPl1

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 06:13:33 PM »
When I was in HS outside Chicago there were three big dances - HC, Winter Ball and Prom.  All had a King/Queen.  But the HC court was really the biggest honor.  Mostly because of the pageantry that went with it.  The senior class nominated and from that were the 5 boys and 5 girls to select the king and queen from.  All four grades voted in the week before homecoming.   The culmination of the week's events were the HC ceremony on Friday afternoon where the king and queen were announced.  From there the court went to ride on the court float in the HC parade around town.  That night at the game the queen and her court were introduced at the football game half-time.  And then they were also introduced at the dance.  So it was quite a deal.

For the other two dances the nominations were at the dance itself so they were just a deal for that night.

Definitely no campaigning.

DSD went to HS here in Dallas and HC is still very much the be-all, end-all of HS royalty honors.  Prom is similar.  But their winter dance were broader honors.  They had an all-around Mr and Miss HS, but that's also when they honored friendliest, best smile, likely to succeed, etc.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
Thanks very much for your answers. I love that I can post random questions on this site to find out the the way things work on the other side of the world :)

Having gone to a US school that didn't have homecoming or a court (all girls school, no football, although many of my classmates went to homecoming as dates to the schools that did), I was rather curious as well.

Kinda glad I missed out - I was never popular.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
How important are these things after? I personally think that one of the best things about high school is no matter how important it is when you were there, minute you're out it doesn't matter anymore.