Author Topic: Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?  (Read 5620 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Prom king & queen...is this a real thing?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 06:57:06 PM »
How important are these things after? I personally think that one of the best things about high school is no matter how important it is when you were there, minute you're out it doesn't matter anymore.

Not a bit.

mime

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:24 PM »
I remember in my senior year when a classmate "C" was surprised and a bit nervous that he was nominated for homecoming king. I wouldn't say he was campaigning when he quietly asked me one day if I'd vote for him for king. He said "I know I'm not going to win, but I don't want to be the guy with zero votes."

He was not part of the popular crowd like the other nominees who played hockey or wrestled. He was a hard-working student and a great representative of our student body. My graduating class of about 350kids was nearly 1/3 Hmong students who (like "C") had not been here more than 8 years at that time. Language preferences and cultural differences led to a lot of self-segregation. I can imagine they spent a lot of time at our school feeling marginalized as they were not the hockey players or cheerleaders.

At the homecoming coronation, it appears that the cool-kid vote got split among the other five nominees, and everyone else voted for "C". The memory still makes me smile.

That said: after high school (in fact, after homecoming week), it really doesn't matter... like so many things in high school!

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 07:42:29 PM »
I wish I'd known when I was in high school that stuff like that didn't matter..but if you try and tell the young people of today that, they won't believe you!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 07:46:09 PM »
I wish I'd known when I was in high school that stuff like that didn't matter..but if you try and tell the young people of today that, they won't believe you!

I don't think it's "of today"--in fact, I think there was a lot more emphasis on these courts in earlier generations, and I think every generation of teenagers feels like they're stuck in the teen years forever and that everything is really super duper important.

jmarvellous

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
I also have the sense that they used to matter more.

In my school, they didn't "matter" so much as "draw attention." There's a big difference. The 598 of us in my senior class not selected for homecoming king/queen (and 575 of us never selected as finalists in any popularity contest ever) didn't "care" about not being picked, necessarily, so much as see it as a confirmation of the existing social order.

I still remember the two people who were our honorees, and I certainly have no ill feeling toward either one. They were successful, talented people who didn't happen to be my friends.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 09:53:11 PM »
How important are these things after? I personally think that one of the best things about high school is no matter how important it is when you were there, minute you're out it doesn't matter anymore.

Not a bit.
It's important in college if you are pledging a sorority but I don't know of anything else. Even fraternities don't care.