Author Topic: Slipcovers?  (Read 797 times)

mathchick

Slipcovers?
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:57:24 PM »
Can anyone tell me anything about slipcovers for couches?  I'm looking at couches, and we liked the squishy feel of one couch at Macy's, but it only comes in two fabrics: uncomfortable and meh, that's sort of okay feeling, I guess.

Could a slipcover make up for that?  Would a slipcover make the couch less squishy and comfortable?

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
Re: Slipcovers?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:30 PM »
Would a slipcover make the couch less squishy and comfortable?

No. Not in my experience. You're simply adding an extra layer of covering fabric, which shouldn't affect the cushions/structure underneath
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
So long as the slipcover is fabric, the furniture should be just as soft and comfortable as it originally was.  Plastic slipcovers, as many of us who grew up in the middle of the 20th century know, are a completely different thing. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:55 PM »
No Slipcovers just change how the sofa looks.  If it's squishy now, it will be pretty and squishy if you add a slipcover.  :)

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 10:59:50 PM »
It won't make it less squishy. We have an awesome comfy couch that I made a cover for (it's just a big rectangle, lengths of calico sewn together and then embellished with some decorative stitching) and it's still awesomely comfy. :)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

m2kbug

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 11:10:43 PM »
A slip cover is nothing more than a cover.  You can get the same results from a bed sheet or blanket.  It's not going to change the "squishiness," or firmness of the cushions.  If you just don't like how the fabric feels, but are happy with the sofa otherwise, a slip cover will work fine.  It will slow the wear and tear, and you can throw it in the washing machine!  Added bonus, a slip cover also prevents stuff from getting lost in the cushions! 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 12:18:09 AM »
Simply said: Keep shopping.

In my experience, slipcovers rarely work, particularly on softer seats of any kind.

JoW

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »
In my world a slipcover is what you use to cover up your old, battered sofa until you can afford to replace it or get it re-upholstered.  I vote to keep looking.

starry diadem

• διάδημα: The Glass Hat
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »
In my world a slipcover is what you use to cover up your old, battered sofa until you can afford to replace it or get it re-upholstered.  I vote to keep looking.

Not in mine.  My sofa is 15 years old, but tradtionally made with a horsehair-stuffed frame and feather cushions. It is in almost perfect condition. The slip covers were specially made for it so that we can switch bewteen its original, fixed, wine- red covers and the ivory slip ons.
Mysterious ravens go after local farmer's potatoes

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

Not in mine.  My sofa is 15 years old, but tradtionally made with a horsehair-stuffed frame and feather cushions. It is in almost perfect condition. The slip covers were specially made for it so that we can switch bewteen its original, fixed, wine- red covers and the ivory slip ons.

I have one on my couch too, which I got after it was newly reupholstered. But for me, it was more that its a more formal sofa, was my grandmothers, but I use it everyday, living in an apt, and not having a separate formal living room, and family room. I eat on the couch a lot, so this keeps me from ruining it, as the slipcovefr can go in the wash whenever necessary

Amara

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
I agree with those who say to keep looking. In order to look good slipcovers need to be custom made for the piece itself. If it isn't, it is going to look like an unmade bed.

Do you know about Build a Sofa ( http://www.buildasofa.com/ )?

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 03:54:49 PM »
I agree with those who say to keep looking. In order to look good slipcovers need to be custom made for the piece itself. If it isn't, it is going to look like an unmade bed.

pod.

I have a red slipcover that I sometimes put on for the holidays (Christmas to Valentine's, and is a nice heavy material so warms up and covers the light plaid the sofa is)
but I have to "make" the sofa almost daily.  As long as no one sits on it, it looks great! 
But, since you want to use the sofa, if you do get a slipcover, get one made to fit like a glove.

Happy hunting!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

mathchick

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »
Hmm.  Thanks for all of the helpful responses.  It sounds like a non-custom slipcover won't work very well.  The idea of having to make my couch every morning, or more likely every five minutes, with two jumping beans and one on the way to being able to move himself any moment now, does not appeal.  How does one get a custom slipcover?  Are there places online that make them?

The problem is, I haven't found very many couches that are really comfortable at all.  I sat on one that's completely impractical.  It's leather, expensive, and huge, but oh so comfortable.  I know nothing about leather furniture, but I've heard that leather won't stand up to children.  It also comes in fabric for cheaper, but I have no way to tell whether it would be as comfortable in fabric.

There's another one which is also comfortable, not leather, still pretty large, and I'd like it better if it cost less (wouldn't most things be better that way?), and then there's the one I asked about, which is a bit less, comfortable-feeling, but the display fabric is uncomfortable, and the other fabric, which has an extra fee in addition to not being on sale, of course, isn't amazing either.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:05 PM »
Once high quality leather ages for a bit, it's super comfortable.  If you are willing to take the time to seal the leather every year, it's a definite option.