Author Topic: Tolerance level on neighbor guests...what's yours?  (Read 7328 times)

Style_and_Grace

Re: Tolerance level on neighbor guests...what's yours?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 10:41:13 AM »
I'm not really sure what your problem is.  You can't tell your neighbor not to have visitors.  I guess if the concept of guests on a daily basis bothers you, maybe looking into moving somewhere isolated would be a plan.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
I have no idea what these people are doing that there are so many extra people and cars every day.  It does bother me.  It probably shouldn't, but it does. 

I kind of feel like this may be a veiled insinuation of drug dealing or something else unsavory, because if it's not that, I don't see why it's an issue. They're quiet and not in your way. Am I on the right track?

Snooks

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
My neighbours used to host their church group every week which meant about five extra cars on our street. It only annoyed me if a) I got home from work after it started because it meant someone would have parked in "my" spot which was on the street outside our house or b) other people had guests because our road is slightly too narrow to have cars parked on both sides. Plus it increased the cars on the street by about 5%.

magicdomino

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
I do have a bit of a problem when nearby neighbors have big parties.  My neighborhood has narrow streets, some with little or no shoulder.  Even where there is a shoulder instead of a ditch, people don't like to park on the lawns.  If a lot of cars are parking on the street, it becomes a narrow one-way street, which gets interesting since it is two-way.  You just have to hope that a car coming in the other direction realizes the problem.

Next door neighbor has a big party about 4 or 5 times a year; house down the street has a big one every month during the warmer weather.  It's annoying, but not nearly as much as the loud music that the people behind me used to play during their parties.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 11:30:37 AM »
Perhaps this is like the issue of someone else parking their car right in front of your house all the time. It's legal, there's nothing in etiquette against it, but it just doesn't feel right. It's annoying and irritating. It can feel like an invasion of your space, even though technically, the car isn't in your space. It just feels that way.

As long as the visitors aren't parking their cars in such a way as to block anyone else from moving their car, and they aren't making noise that would bother the residents, I don't think there's anything to complain about.

It's just one of those things that you have to accept. And if it gets really irritating, then maybe you decide to move.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

norrina

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 11:34:12 AM »
I live in a town home community with limited parking in front of the units, then overflow parking in front of the common areas like the fields, ponds, clubhouse, and pool. There are 6-8 units per grouping, with 10-14 parking spaces per grouping; one space directly at the end of each unit's walkway, then 1-2 spaces between the units. Our neighbors immediately to one side have 3 vehicles that they will park in the spaces nearest to their unit, a couple girlfriends that stay over regularly and park in front of the units, and random friends that come over often and park in front of the units. So on any given day they are occupying 1/3 to 1/2 of the "prime" spaces nearest to the units, and the rest of us have yo park in overflow and walk to our units. They aren't doing anything "wrong", there isn't assigned parking, but it does feel inconsiderate and I am a bit annoyed by it.

Then what really bothers me is when they park in the space directly in front of our unit. We have an end unit, with the parking space at the end of our walkway having another parking space on one side, and grass on the other. 99% of the time, when they park in this space they are so far over that they are in the grass, and so far forward that they are over the walkway. Which means that to get to our unit we can't walk over the pavement anymore, we have to cut through the grass. I really don't like cutting through the grass in high heels.  >:(

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Perhaps this is like the issue of someone else parking their car right in front of your house all the time. It's legal, there's nothing in etiquette against it, but it just doesn't feel right. It's annoying and irritating. It can feel like an invasion of your space, even though technically, the car isn't in your space. It just feels that way.

I totally get this.
My neighbours seem to have lots of company. There isn't a problem with noise or behaviour, everything is very civil. Absolutely no complaints on that score.

The guests tend to park in front of our hose ( actually, in front of our shared front yard).
Sometimes, they are annoyingly close to our driveway and we have to angle a bit to get out, but that situation is so uncommon that it's not worth bringing up. (Once a year, if that.)

We have three cars (6 people, all working, one also at school.) One of our cars has to park on the street.
It would be much easier for us if we could sometimes use that space. Easier, but we are not entitled to it.
It would be especially useful on garbage day. Every house has two (city provided) bins and these must be placed 1 meter apart and 1 meter from the curb and any vehicles.. If we are in one street spot, and there is a guest on the other, the only clear space is directly behind our cars. So we have to shuffle them around to get to work in the morning.
It's just the reality of the layout, and it doesn't seem reasonable to insist we get that space so as to make one day a week more convenient for us.

Overall, there is an unreasonable, vaguely annoying sense that we can't use the space as we'd prefer because someone else is using it. I *know* we have no entitlement to the curb spot in front of our house. It still feels like it's "ours" and we should have a say in it's use.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »
I live in single family housing units.  Six people share a driveway.  This driveway comes off the main neighborhood street like a tiny little cul-de-sac.  It's T-shaped.  The homes and properties are rather small and close together.  My home is in the middle.  The socialites live next door on the edge of the "T."  I'm kind of stuck with being involved with their multiple guests indirectly.

I have no idea what these people are doing that there are so many extra people and cars every day.  It does bother me.  It probably shouldn't, but it does. 

I'm not seeking solutions, I am just wondering what other people's experiences have been and what their tolerance levels have been; just general opinions and discussion.  I could go further and ask, were the neighbors and their guests really quiet and non-obtrusive, but there were so many guests, so often, it became a problem?

But are the guests parking in the driveway preventing you from parking?  If you still have access to your spot, how many guests they have is none of your business. 

Our neighbours have people over quite a bit.  It is mostly their son's friends.  He is away at college now so it isn't as bad as it is in the summer.  As long as I can get out of my driveway, it is not my concern who is visiting, how many or how often. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
I can understand how it can be inconvenient. 

We don't have a garage and don't really have any assigned parking in our neighborhood.  Some homes do have driveways/garages, but not all, and there are drawn parking spaces on either side of the street.  It's one of those places where, if you were to drive along on a snowy day you'd see spaces cleared and with something "claiming" the spot such as a chair, orange street cone, trash can, etc. 

The other fun thing is we are across the street from an ice cream shop.  So many times, especially during the summer, all the street parking is taken up by people visiting the ice cream shop. 

Now we do have a space at the back of our lot that we sometimes do park in.  It's not landscaped or fenced in, it's just grass.  If there are no street spots available, we just turn into the alley next to our house and drive back there to park.  But I do prefer to park in the spot in front of our house.  It makes life easier, especially when the little one has fallen asleep and I need to carry him in from the car.  Or if I'm bringing groceries in.

Some days it's a real gamble to know if I'll be able to just park in front of the house or not to unload groceries.  One neighbor, who lives on the other side of the alley from me, once said "Why don't you just park in the alley to unload and then pull into one of these spots when you're done?"  So that's what I do if the spot in front of the house is taken, especially if it's raining like it was the other day.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 02:32:13 PM »
I live in a town home community with limited parking in front of the units, then overflow parking in front of the common areas like the fields, ponds, clubhouse, and pool. There are 6-8 units per grouping, with 10-14 parking spaces per grouping; one space directly at the end of each unit's walkway, then 1-2 spaces between the units. Our neighbors immediately to one side have 3 vehicles that they will park in the spaces nearest to their unit, a couple girlfriends that stay over regularly and park in front of the units, and random friends that come over often and park in front of the units. So on any given day they are occupying 1/3 to 1/2 of the "prime" spaces nearest to the units, and the rest of us have yo park in overflow and walk to our units. They aren't doing anything "wrong", there isn't assigned parking, but it does feel inconsiderate and I am a bit annoyed by it.

Then what really bothers me is when they park in the space directly in front of our unit. We have an end unit, with the parking space at the end of our walkway having another parking space on one side, and grass on the other. 99% of the time, when they park in this space they are so far over that they are in the grass, and so far forward that they are over the walkway. Which means that to get to our unit we can't walk over the pavement anymore, we have to cut through the grass. I really don't like cutting through the grass in high heels.  >:(

Can you petition your association to assign spots in front of units.  It does sound extremely rude and inconsiderate what they are doing.  Their guests should park in the overflow leaving room for the residents.  I would be ticked too.

Do you know these neighbours well enough to have a chat with them?  They may not realize they are hogging all the spots and preventing you from parking in the spot near your home.   

norrina

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »

Can you petition your association to assign spots in front of units.  It does sound extremely rude and inconsiderate what they are doing.  Their guests should park in the overflow leaving room for the residents.  I would be ticked too.

Do you know these neighbours well enough to have a chat with them?  They may not realize they are hogging all the spots and preventing you from parking in the spot near your home.

It's a rental community, and property management is pretty good overall, but not particularly concerned about how we work out our parking situation. We have spoken with the neighbors a couple times now, DF DH (still getting used to that change!) has asked that they leave the spot directly in front of our unit for our use, I (realizing that we are not actually entitled to that spot) have asked that if they are going to park in that spot to please do so in such a manner as to not block access to our walkway. They're pleasant enough about it, say they understand and that both are sensible requests, and then things might get better briefly. After a while it gets to where it isn't worth constantly asking for change that doesn't stick though. So we grumble to ourselves, and if we have groceries to unload we park in the grass while we bring them in then move to overflow parking. I may get a piece of 6x6 lumber to put at the front of the spot so that they can't pull forward enough to block our walkway though.

squeakers

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 03:23:43 PM »
The neighbors to the left mow their yard twice a year.  Their across the street neighbors actually mow the front hill (the part the across the street neighbors would see from their house) just so they don't have to see a jungle.  My DH has been mowing into their yard just to help keep the mosquitoes down.  They rent (from her mom) and we are unincorporated so no one to really complain to.  Plus.. we have large pastures with no animals in them near us so it's not really much difference.  But it is annoying to drive by or look at while in our yard.

Then there is the uphill neighbors.  He yells at her a lot.  And she yells back.  But the really annoying thing is he mows.  Just before dusk he'll put out the riding lawn mower and do part of the lawn.  Then 2 or 3 days later do it again and maybe get a little more mowed.

So on the one side we have the non-mowers and on the other we have the mowers.  LOL  Nothing drastic just annoying.

I am sure the think our bird is annoying when he screams.  I find it annoying.. but that's why we live out in the country so his screams kind of blends in with the crows cawwing and the other neighbors' chickens and roosters clucking and crowing.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
We live in a neighborhood with the streets just over three cars wide - if people were parking between lines, it might be four compact cars wide...but there is only the center of the road marking (actually a gap in the concrete - not a painted line).

If people do not park carefully enough to snug their car close to the curb AND park across the street from each other - it rapidly becomes dangerous to try to leave while driving between two parked vehicles, as many of the neighbors will make a WIDE turn around the corners and come more-or-less down the center of the road - to make it easier to avoid a car parked on the side of the road.

When we moved into the area in 2005, street parking was uncommon - now there are new owners and a few renters who apparently prefer parking in front of the house instead of paying to widen the driveway and get room to park two (or more) vehicles off the road.

I understand that trying to drive in an area where street parking isn't in painted off spaces or assigned spaces isn't as efficiently used as planned spaces that have been MARKED so that no one is parking in front of a driveway or blocking a fire hydrant.  It is also not a great idea if the street isn't wide enough for four or more cars across - as there may not be room to play Dodge-em when someone comes around a corner in the lane that you are currently occupying....and no space to dodge or time to back up.....

My ILs live on a street that is at least five to six "parking spaces" wide - so there is enough space for people to park on both sides of the road AND two lanes of normal traffic (and space to go around some one who has stopped their car nowhere near the curb because they aren't parking but plan to chat for "just a minute" - even if they spend ten minutes chatting instead).

I used to think that three cars wide was a good width - but it only works if no one at all parks on the street or people can only park on one side of the street.....I hate trying to dodge moving vehicles and avoiding parked ones.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

m2kbug

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »

I kind of feel like this may be a veiled insinuation of drug dealing or something else unsavory, because if it's not that, I don't see why it's an issue. They're quiet and not in your way. Am I on the right track?

No, you are not on the right track.  No drugs or dealing.  Well, I suppose anything's possible, but no.  :)

.    `

veryfluffy

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »
I live on the main road through our village. It has houses on both sides, but parking is allowed only on  one side of the road, with double yellow lines (no parking) on my side. I don't mind, I have enough private parking so that I don't need any street spots, as do the most of the people on my side of the road. However, the people living in the house immediate opposite have four cars, and no off-street parking. They take up all the space in front of their house, and most of the house next door to them. The people who have recently moved in next door to me, in a house that had been empty for some time, now park their car where they can on the other side of the road -- often taking up one of the spots that the people with four cars think of as theirs. They sometimes park three of their cars with 1/2 spaces in between, and then shuffle them up together later when the last car comes home. I can see they are very annoyed when the new neighbour bags an open spot.

We cheer for the new neighbour, as it seems very greedy to use up all available parking.