Author Topic: True Confessions - strange food cravings  (Read 2978 times)

Editeer

Re: True Confessions - strange food cravings
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:32 PM »
I used to keep my cake frosting in the freezer so it had almost the consistency of ice cream. Plus you get a huge amount onto the spoon. : 9

daen

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
I salt my watermelon as well. Also salt my apples sometimes, and always put salt and pepper on cantaloupe and honeydew melon.

My father always salted his melons.  His idea was that, in hot weather, more salt was advisable. It actually was very tasty.

On the other hand, MIL would pick beautiful tomatoes from her garden, slice them for lunch and sprinkle them with sugar before serving.  That made me cry a little. 

No no SALT goes on tomatoes, not sugar
I have never sugared tomatoes.
However, I grew up with honey on toasted tomato sandwiches. And salt, pepper, and mayonnaise.
I also grew up with jam on toast, regardless of what went on top - scrambled eggs, ham, cheese... I still sometimes crave strawberry jam, garlic sausage, mayo, and cheese on white buns.

As a kid, I would eat salt straight out of the salt shaker. I finally quit sometime in college. I had enough of a salt habit that I once tasted the leftover salt/baking soda mix my mother would use for scrubbing the stove top. After that, I would mix it for myself.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
Every now and again, I get a craving for pickled lambs tongues.  Thank the deity there's a Polish grocery in the area that still carries the things. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
Vienna sausages in a can. Grew up on them.

I salt watermelon, and pretty much anything I make gets a pinch of Kosher salt.

BarensMom

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
Late at night, when no one's watching (except Baren and I bribe him not to tell), I get up and eat bananas and saltine crackers.

anniehawks

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »
I posted about this in another thread.  I love famous brand, nacho cheese, tortilla chips with famous, silver wrapped, chocolate drops.  I have a chip, then a chocolate drop, then a chip...so good!   

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
I posted about this in another thread.  I love famous brand, nacho cheese, tortilla chips with famous, silver wrapped, chocolate drops.  I have a chip, then a chocolate drop, then a chip...so good!

Are  you  talking about Doritos and Hersey Kisses

emwithme

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
When I've had a migraine but the medication is taking effect (thank you Imigran, your existence makes *that* time of the month bearable!) I crave carbohydrates like nobody's business - but they need to be CRISPY and FLUFFY at the same time. 

A chip butty is the ideal - but it needs to be from a fish'n'chip shop, not home-made, so if I'm alone then I can't have it.   I've been known to cook roast potatoes if there is nothing else available; I now have the "oven ready" ones in the deep freeze so that I don't need to deal with anything sharp or hot water when I'm partially incapacitated. 

SlitherHiss

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

Are  you  talking about Doritos and Hersey Kisses

I wondered about that, too. Is there some prohibition on using the real names for things on this site? I checked the appropriate section of the forum and couldn't find anything saying we can't say Doritos, or Best Buy, or Verizon, or Subway, but it seems like an awful lot of people like to use unneccessary euphamisms instead.

Is this some weird quirk of forum culture? I've never encountered it on any other site.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2013, 04:06:58 PM »
There is no rule here against brand or company names. Many forums have rules like that though.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
My favorite snack is a peanut butter and banana sandwich on white bread - sheer heaven!  My other one is a fried egg with the yolk still liquidy and dip french fries into the yolk.  My mom loves french fry sandwiches, but it has to be McDonald's fries.

anniehawks

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
Yes I am! I love Doritos and Hershey kisses.  I know its weird, but I can't help it.