Author Topic: Clueless/Emma Party-Ideas Needed  (Read 1162 times)

angilamae

Clueless/Emma Party-Ideas Needed
« on: June 04, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
Hiya

My bookclub is doing a thing where we pick a book and then pick a movie based on that book watch/read both and then talk about it with a little get together. 

I chose reading Emma and watching Clueless which was based on it.

So my issue is the get together and what to do for food.  I dont really need to decorate (and it's not at my house anyways) but anything cheap or easy we could use as decor would be fun.  It will be potluck but I am not sure what to suggest in my email or what to bring myself to incorporate both book and movie.  The book club members are all close friends and both male and female.  We are not strict on reading the book or being serious.  It's more of a reason to get together

These are my ideas so far:

Cookies baking as featured in the movie
Serving "high school" food on "china" i get at the goodwill (if i can find it) to add a bit of Emma in there
As for food, i can think of pizza rolls and wine coolers (served in teacups)  but would like to be more creative than and my sister says "no kids drink wine coolers"
Any ideas that are both "highschool" and/or victorian (but also yummy)
I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: Clueless/Emma Party-Ideas Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:49 PM »
How fun!

When I think of Victorian food, I think of tea sandwiches, scones, and little cakes. Maybe the sandwiches can include pb&J for the high school theme?

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Definitely slice-and-bake chocolate chip cookies, slicing optional.

There's a scene with a dinner where they definitely eat asparagus.

This website collects all the mentions of food in "Emma": http://www.strangegirl.com/emma/food.php
(Looks like lots of cake, strawberries, some wine, apple tart, spruce beer (hmm?) with gruel, arrowroot and boiled eggs as runners-up!)

angilamae

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
the pb&j sandwhiches is a good one!  And there will definatly be wine.  There is always wine :)

I am overthinking it I think becuase our Jaws party was really good.  Those hosts had cute decorated shark cupcakes and stuff.  I know my party won't be as put together.

NestHolder

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:36:32 PM »
Don't forget that 'Emma' isn't Victorian - it's earlier than that. 

You could reproduced the ill-fated picnic - have everyone sit on rugs, use picnic tablewear or paper plates, etc.  Strawberries are a must!

angilamae

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
ok yeah i have no idea when it is :)  I did read it though. I promise.

Strawberries are a good idea too!

tinkytinky

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 05:16:15 PM »
and don't forget the "Mentos"..... (Brittany Murphy sang with the commercial)

For some reason, adult cherry limeade sounds like something "Clueless".....or maybe you are just clueless after you drink it.....

the recipe is

2 - 2liter bottles cherry 7-UP
1 - bottle Cherry vodka
2 - cans frozen limeade
cherries to float (optional)

Makes 2 gallons. You can easily half it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
A basin of gruel, of course.

Baked apples alá Bates.

The Stilton cheese, the north Wiltshire, the butter, the cellery, [and] the beet-root.

Rout cakes

Don't forget that meals in Austen's days were not served as we do now. The table would be covered with an array of dishes, for diners to serve themselves or perhaps to ask a servant to serve, if the dish was on the other end of the table. There might be both sweet & savory dishes, and a formal dinner would include two "courses," that is after the first course, the table would be cleared & another array of food set out.  It might look like this:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:06:36 PM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 11:09:56 PM »

Punch as a beverage

Regency style (that's the period of most of her books) would be citrus juices and zest mixed with hot water, strained, cooled and mixed with brandy or rum.   High school style would be the same, but the hard liquor would be added surreptitiously by a guest after the party started.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »
I agree about the strawberries, that's an important mention in the book.  Maybe also gruel?  And an egg, cooked just right, surely couldn't be too hard on the stomach?  <grin>  (Just kidding on those last two.)

I like the other ideas, too!

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »
Finally unearthed my Jane Austen Cookbook which contains recipes that were actually used in Jane's household or from contemporary sources. i'd forgotten about Negus, a popular party punch, "made of wine, hot water, lemon juice, sugar, and nutmeg...During the early Regency it was practically expected, along with White Soup at balls."

Recipe from the Jane Austen Centre They give a non-alcoholic suggestion.

White soup is not specifically mentioned in Emma. It's a rather elaborate chicken soup, enriched with ground almonds & egg yolks.

Don't forget a half a glass of wine.  A small half glass -- put into a tumbler of water. To be taken with the apple tart (made with fresh apples, not "unwholesome preserves").

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

SoCalVal

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »
Something with pork? -- in honor of that boring character loudly proclaiming to her hard-of-hearing mother (as she read the letter to her mother and Emma), "PORK, Mother!"

angilamae

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »
Oh pork would be easy.  I am thinking of doing something in a crockpot since that would be easy to make ahead and bring over.  My mom has a bunch of teacups and saucers i will bring over to serve on (even if its not strictly emma like.  close enough for these guys)