A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

What should I do with my cat?

(1/5) > >>

ica171:
We adopted our cat from the local shelter, and they told us he loved going outside and walking on a leash. We tried it a couple times and he absolutely hated it, so we stopped doing it. Lately, though, he's been running through our feet and out the door at least once a week. He's fully clawed so I'm not worried about that, but a) if he gets picked up by animal control it's like a $400 fine because he's not wearing his tags (breakaway collar that he constantly breaks away), b) he could get injured, and c) he brought home fleas, so now the house and our other pets have to be treated.

DH and I keep going back and forth. We don't know what to do. We love him; he's part of the family. But right now, with the way he's acting, he's wearing our patience very thin. My parents live on a farm with a barn with a few cats (that's where our other cat came from and you couldn't pay her to go outside) so that's an option. But there's also wild animals out there, and even though he likes to be outside he's been an indoor cat for a while now. So far our only ideas are to have a spray bottle at the door and spray him whenever he goes near it, and to have a noisemaker (like a can of pennies) and shake that whenever we come in or out to make him associate the bad noise with the door. I don't know how that would work when we were coming in, though. He loves to sit in the windows in the spring and fall but they're closed now, so I was thinking maybe he'd calm down if we got some of those perch shelves. I've seen things online that say get him toys that look like animals that he can hunt, but he doesn't play with toys.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or have a cat that does the same thing? I don't want to have to rehome him but my tolerance for animal shenanigans is a lot higher than DH's, and although he doesn't want Bill to go anywhere, I know he will get rid of him if he keeps this up.

Firecat:
I used to have a cat who would try to run out the door when I'd leave. I solved it by throwing a few cat treats on the kitchen floor (away from the door) right before I left. He was more interested in the treats than in the door, so it worked fine.

Coming back in, I'd hold my purse down near the level of my feet as a "blocker"/gentle way of pushing him away from the door.

Is it an option to get Bill microchipped? Does Animal Control in your area scan for a chip if a pet is picked up? That might help with the collar situation at least.

Snooks:
Is it when you come in or go out?  Our boy loves going out but we prefer him to be in during the day, our stairs are by the front door so we pick him up to around level with our heads and put him on a "high" step.  Something about being lifted and put up high is supposed to stop cats getting down, seems to work with him.  Coming in if he gets past us he's dopey enough that he likes to have a roll around on the concrete just outside the door so we scoop him up, failing that we rattle the treats and in he comes.

Firecat:

--- Quote from: Snooks on August 26, 2013, 02:04:40 PM ---Is it when you come in or go out?  Our boy loves going out but we prefer him to be in during the day, our stairs are by the front door so we pick him up to around level with our heads and put him on a "high" step.  Something about being lifted and put up high is supposed to stop cats getting down, seems to work with him.  Coming in if he gets past us he's dopey enough that he likes to have a roll around on the concrete just outside the door so we scoop him up, failing that we rattle the treats and in he comes.

--- End quote ---

Yours, too? My DH and I joke that I can make two cats appear out of nowhere just by rattling the treats.

Snooks:

--- Quote from: Firecat on August 26, 2013, 02:06:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Snooks on August 26, 2013, 02:04:40 PM ---Is it when you come in or go out?  Our boy loves going out but we prefer him to be in during the day, our stairs are by the front door so we pick him up to around level with our heads and put him on a "high" step.  Something about being lifted and put up high is supposed to stop cats getting down, seems to work with him.  Coming in if he gets past us he's dopey enough that he likes to have a roll around on the concrete just outside the door so we scoop him up, failing that we rattle the treats and in he comes.

--- End quote ---

Yours, too? My DH and I joke that I can make two cats appear out of nowhere just by rattling the treats.

--- End quote ---

Worse than that one of the neighbour cats has got wise to the treat rattling and he comes running too!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version