Author Topic: What should I do with my cat?  (Read 2447 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: What should I do with my cat?
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »
You ca set up a cat flap so the cat has to ask to go out but can let the cat back in by himself, that way you can make sure he only goes out when you are home. Make sure you treat him for flees once a month, and out a colar an bell on him so wildlife can hear him coming.

You CAN stop your cat from wanting to run outside. You need to make sure when you step in a door or out of a door, you know where the cat is and use your feet to block the gap, also spraying a cat with water if they tray and make a dash for it. We live in a small apartment near a busy road, would be dangerous for cats to leave the place and now they're no linger interested in leaving.

One day, when we have our own house, we want to set up a cat run in the yard.

bonyk

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 08:26:47 AM »
I had a cat a lot like yours, and we never managed to break her of wanting to go out.  My only suggestion is to treat her with Frontline (flea stuff) monthly, so that if she does get out you won't have to deal with that issue.  Also, if you do get a screened-in porch keep using it on all of you pets, because fleas can get through the screen.

daen

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
These are not quite equivalent situations to OP, so take it for what it's worth.

When I was growing up, our cats lived in the unfinished part of the basement. There was a door with a grate separating cat territory from human territory. The cats were not allowed through the door unless they were carried through it (and then kept on laps the entire time). They did, however, have a cat door so they could come and go as they chose.

To keep the cats (and the rotating cast of kittens) in the cat rooms, I would keep one leg in front of the opening door, blocking it, and as soon as the door was open wide enough, I'd push my leg through in a sweeping motion. Ninety percent of the time, that took care of anyone wanting to escape. Before exiting, any cat or kitten showing too much interest in the door would get the Stop Hand - I would hold my flat hand in front of the cat's face and push them gently. All of the adult cats, and most of the kittens, eventually decided that the doorway was an uncrossable barrier. I once came downstairs to discover that someone had left the door open, and the cats were all lined up on their side, facing the door, looking out.

My current Tailsome Twosome went through a phase where, after respecting the not-in-the-bedrooom rule for almost a year, they ganged up on me to make sure they got to sleep with me at night. I ended up caving, because it would take me half an hour or longer to get both of them on the living room of the door and me on the bedroom side of the door. They have also gradually become more and more interested in leaving behind their indoor-cat lives and venturing as far as the entrance. To keep them inside the house, I use airlock principles: I don't open the door from the house proper to the entrance unless the doors to the Big Green Room are closed, and I don't open the outside doors until I'm certain that the entrance is cat-free.
So far, no escapes.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 03:44:34 PM »
Cats and harnesses

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »
My cat takes pretty well to the harness, but we started out when he was still a kitten.  We don't use it very often, though--he's pretty content as an indoor cat and can be incredibly skittish, so even a car driving by can make him go floofy.  If you don't believe me, here's some photographic evidence:

"Shhhh...be vewwy quiet.  I'm hunting...um...I'm hunting...hey, what the heck is there to hunt out here, anyway?  I see absolutely no jingle balls or catnip mice.  What gives?"

"Giddy up!"

"No."

;D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Dorrie78

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »
An outdoor cat became an indoor cat when I adopted her. It took YEARS to get her to stop trying to run outside when I got back home and opened the door. Someone mentioned above - use your purse, bag and/or feet to block the opening when you open the door (open it slowly). Be ready to grab the cat when she tries to make a run for it. Use your feet and bag to push the cat back inside. It can be done. After a few years of this, she eventually stopped trying. Now she sits at the door simply waiting for me to come home and doesn't try to get outside anymore.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
Thanks for all the tips! I'm definitely going to start with a window shelf, then expand to a window enclosure. It never occurred to me that he might need to be retrained on the harness since the rescue said he loved it, but that's a good idea. Plus I think it'll be harder for him to get a harness off than a collar.

Everybody got a bath and treated with Advantage yesterday, so he's not happy with me at the moment. Oh well.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
I am a support of Best Friends and get their magazine - in a few issues they have said they started training their long term cats to go for walks and that lots of them like it. They have some tips on how to do it and the pictures they posted made it seem like the cats loved it

http://bestfriends.org/Resources/Pet-Care/Cats/Living-with-Your-Cat/Walking-the-Cat/

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 05:06:22 PM »
This reminds me of a friend of my mother's, who when dealing with the Sabre-toothed Siamese in his youthful days, announced that "Putting a harness on a small kitten is a simple task, that anyone should be able to do." She decided to prove this to my mother.

An hour later, she changed her tune.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."