Author Topic: Potluck  (Read 1125 times)

EmmaJ.

Potluck
« on: September 05, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Help!  I need inspiration.

We are having a potluck lunch here at work to say goodbye to a lovely lady who is retiring.  I want to bring a dish that will **wow** everyone.

I've done deviled eggs and baked beans at the last two potlucks and, even though there were no leftovers, I thought they were kind of dull.  Or ordinary.

Can anyone suggest something deliciously unique?  We have refrigerators, crockpots, and microwaves but no ovens.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Potluck
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »
You could try the wild rice salad I posted in this folder somewhere.  It can be dressed up to have a visual wow factor, too.

Although I'd hardly call deviled eggs, in particular, dull.  I LOVE them at potlucks because they aren't something I'd make.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mandycorn

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
Make these: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-wrapped-smokies/
Lil' Smokies wrapped in bacon and baked with brown sugar.

My neighbor made them for my sister's baby shower and they were amazing! They're so simple and they just flew out of the crockpot.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
How about jambalya? That's something unique and not often seen at potlucks.

I really like this recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/cajun-jambalaya-recipe2/index.html

Question -- will there be a main dish provided and everybody else brings a side?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 06:23:16 PM »
Asian-style asparagus:

Asparagus, cut into 1-2" lengths
Rice Vinegar
Tamari
Sesame oil
Toasted sesame seeds

(I don't measure when I cook this, but for 1 lb asparagus, use 1-2 tbsps of each)

Steam asparagus until tender but still toothsome (6-8 minutes). Blanch under cold running water. Marinate in remaining ingredients overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Oh Joy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:29:25 PM »
How about a simple but pretty fruit bouquet?  Just skewer different colors of grapes/melon balls/berries and serve in a low-height flower vase.  Or do caprese skewers with cherry/grape tomatoes and mini mozzarella balls or sliced circles of string cheese and baby spinach leaves.

Kaypeep

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:32:09 PM »
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with blue cheese dressing for dipping.

I got the recipe here on Ehell but I can't find the link.  It wasn't in the recipe folder, it was actually part of a thread because the OP was mad that her husband shared the recipe with friends without asking her first.  At this point I don't even use the recipe from the site but but make it on my own, loosely it's about:

3 lbs ground chicken
1 large can panko breadcrumbs (seasoned)
3 eggs, beaten
1 stick butter, melted
1 cup Franks Red Hot sauce
chicken broth
3-4 stalks celery, chopped very fine

Mix ground chicken, breadcrumbs, beaten eggs together.
Mix 3/4 cup hot sauce and 3/4 stick melted butter together, and mix into meat mixture.
Add chopped celery.
Add chicken broth a little at a time, if mix is too dry/tough.  I've found adding the broth keeps the meatballs from getting too dried out.

Make medium sized meatballs and cook in oven on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 15-20 minutes.
When meatballs are done, mix leftover melted butter and hot sauce, then toss meatballs in sauce to coat.  (add more butter/hotsauce as you desire.  I usually make more sauce to coat if I'm bringing them to a party.)

Serve with blue cheese and celery sticks for dipping.

mandycorn

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »
Oh, I realized I have another potluck standard that's super impressive, but pretty simple. They form a whole greater than the sum of their parts!

Oreo Bonbons: http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/cookies/famous-oreo-bon-bons.html

When I make mine, i leave a toothpick in each, so they're easier to dip. I dip them twice in chocolate, freezing in between for a couple of minutes so they stay on the toothpicks, and then I sprinkle with the colored sugar you can find in the cake decorating section of the grocery store.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:50:53 PM »
We did these recently but you need about an hour in the morning before work.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sopapilla-Cheesecake-Dessert/Detail.aspx?evt19=1

If your interested in dessert search for sopapillia cheesecake. Swoon worthy.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »
The asparagus one reminded me of one that a friend's mother makes.

Take a slice of ham and butter it with cream cheese.  Then take a pickled asparagus spear and wrap the ham around it.  Cut them into bite sized pieces and use a toothpick to hold them together.

So simple but so good.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Psychopoesie

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 11:40:14 PM »
This brown rice salad recipe is divine. Bonus potluck points since it works for vegetarians too. :)

http://boeufblogginon.com/2011/11/06/brown-rice-salad-for-those-who-hate-rice-salads-with-a-passion-unequalled-in-this-world/

Note on some terms in the recipe. Capsicums are usually called bell peppers in the US, i think. The Qld blue pumpkin isn't actually blue, just the name of a common local variety - whatever is available in your local area should be fine.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 11:17:18 AM »
Skewered caprese salad with balsamiuc vinegar dressing.http://www.stuckonsweet.com/caprese-salad-skewers/
It's wickedly easy and looks really pretty.

Or this watermelon-feta salad is pretty, delicious, and wackyhttp://theshiksa.com/2011/06/29/watermelon-feta-salad-with-mint/

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

EmmaJ.

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
I want to make all of these recipes! Thanks everyone, these are great ideas.