Author Topic: Problems in the ladies' room  (Read 26719 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Problems in the ladies' room
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 02:55:13 PM »
A building I've been in several times has a sign in each stall in the restroom that says "Please wipe the seat when finished - there is nothing more disgusting than sitting in someone else's urine".

It's blunt, but it might make an impact.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

White Lotus

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »
Sometimes it is a flush splash and sometimes it, uh, isn't.  A sign is a start.

"Please flush, and make sure the seat is clean and dry, before you leave.  Please dispose of all non-flushable materials in the container provided."

I hope those in need of direction bother to read it.  I would feel perfectly comfortable calling a culprit on it, if I caught her at it.  A courteous person is considerate of others, and would naturally, one would think, pick up after herself.  Sheesh!

There are a few places I have been where the plumbing won't handle even paper, waste baskets are not provided and the customary solution is "that corner, there."  I don't like that system.  Why not a lined waste basket with a lid?  People do that on boats and RVs, where paper is known to clog the plumbing.  Just...why not?

spookycatlady

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
I called our facilities management when dried urine remained on a seat for a week (I went to a different stall).

I *could* have cleaned it.  But it wasn't my pee to clean and I had no access to cleansers. Any number of women could have cleaned it, but didn't for similar reasons. What was especially gauling was that our *cleaners* didn't address it. The facilities manger called me without checking on the problem and tried to say that the marks were from a chemical burn.

An hour later he came and apologized for arguing. After our first convo, he had come up to our floor to replace the seat and was shocked, shocked I say that it really was dried urine.

A polite, direct sign may help. Out issue continues because Megacorp prohibits unofficial signage and no one reads official signage.

daen

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »
At one point, the company I worked for moved into larger quarters that had been hastily converted from an agricultural-products warehouse. There was a single bathroom in the building (as I said, hastily), and it was filthy. I expected this, due to the large amount of dirt that comes with this particular crop.

What I did not expect was the sign lying on the floor that said "Use the toilet, not the floor!!!" It was a cement floor, sloped toward a central drain, but still - ack!

I backed out of the room, went across the street to the hardware store, bought a bottle of bleach and some rubber gloves, and washed that room down with a vengeance. Walls were scrubbed (tile, thankfully) as high as I could reach; the fixtures were cleaned to within an inch of their lives; the floor was washed multiple times. I destroyed the cleaning rag and bleached spots into my sweatshirt, but it was worth it - I could use the bathroom without being completely squicked out.

amylouky

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »
Urgh. I hate squatters. Especially when they don't wipe the seat, but even if they do, it doesn't get off EVERYTHING.

We had to put up a sign in our restroom that says,
"Ladies, please be respectful of your coworkers and do not soil the toilet seat. If you do, please clean with the provided wipes and dry with a paper towel."  We keep a container of disinfecting wipes in there for that purpose.

In this case, since it's pretty obvious that it's one of the new tenants, I would probably complain to building management and ask them to put up signs/supply seat covers/speak to the new tenants.

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 06:58:32 PM »
I would go with a sign and speaking to the building manager. I say both because of a previous experience.....

A few jobs ago, I worked for a company in a small building. It was only us and the management company on the floor and my coworker and I were the only women in our company. The women's bathroom on our floor (which only had three stalls, so not much choice) sometimes was nasty. I mean, lumps of feces on the floor. It was appalling and these were supposed professionals working on the floor.

Coworker was a self-described germaphobe, so you can imagine this just about sent her around the bend. She printed up signs for all the stalls basically saying, "Please clean up after yourself, other people have to use these facilities.".

Every. single. sign. she put up was torn down. Repeatedly. Then someone, in other words, someone from the management company, complained to the building manager that someone was putting up signs in the bathroom >:(. Did they not also notice that someone was pooping on the floor?!!

cwm

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
If I saw a cutesy rhyming sign in the bathroom I would wonder if I was still in elementary school. I hate cutesy signs like that. This is an office environment, there is nothing wrong with direct wording.

Talk to the office management and ask if signs would be appropriate and allowed. At several buildings we weren't allowed to put up signs, no matter what. We had to spread through word of mouth that there were problems that needed to be addressed. Finally, emails were sent out companywide (which included several people from several other branches/locations/subsidiary companies) so everyone knew we were having problems with someone missing the toilet.

Now that we're in a new building, there are still problems. The cleaning people won't clean the bathrooms. People miss. I've heard some horror stories about the men's room, and with the people who were discussing it, I have no reason to believe they were exaggerating. It's sad to think that we are all adults, but some of us seem to be forgetting what we learned as toddlers.

ETA: I really do know all the words to put in sentences. Promise.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 12:14:37 PM »

Now that we're in a new building, there are still problems. The cleaning people won't clean the bathrooms. ...

:o  Sounds like it's time for a new cleaning crew.  If they won't clean the bathrooms, what DO they clean? 

cwm

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »

Now that we're in a new building, there are still problems. The cleaning people won't clean the bathrooms. ...

:o  Sounds like it's time for a new cleaning crew.  If they won't clean the bathrooms, what DO they clean?

They vacuum the floors, do the trash at every single cube, do basic cleaning of the kitchen surfaces (wipe them down, no more), and do take the bathroom trash out and refill the paper towels and toilet paper and soap. But they weren't contracted to do surface cleaning in the bathroom past maybe wiping down the counters and mirrors with an all-purpose cleaning wipe. That's it. Technically it's not their job to clean it, though I don't know what the building management has in place to get it cleaned. It's above my pay grade.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 02:06:08 PM »
This happened at my sister's office when a new lady started and they did post signs about cleaning up after yourself. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:37 PM »
Urgh. I hate squatters. Especially when they don't wipe the seat, but even if they do, it doesn't get off EVERYTHING.

It's a vicious cycle. People are so afraid the seat is dirty that they do all these convolutions to not sit on it--and in the process make it dirty. Or maybe they are snowflakes and think only other people's urine is dirty while theirs is made of unicorn tears.

weschicky

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
Sorry to post and run--it's been a crazy week!

We DO have seat covers in the bathroom.  They're just not being used.

Our bathrooms are cleaned daily, after hours, so someone dripping on the seat at 9.30 am is cleaned up by the next user or left in place until 7ish pm.

Sanitizing wipes/foams are not an option--we have a fragrance free bathroom policy because of allergies (mine and a coworker's) and it's been hard enough to train the building maintenance staff to use products that don't make me have to run away from my office that I'm not about to start trying to find a product that can be used by anyone at any time during the day and still give me a fragrance-free place to pee.

The neighbors are web designers, so I posted the cutesy sign in the font I know makes web designer skin crawl (Comic Sans, if you're wondering), which is most appropriate in the cutesy option.  We'll see how this plays out.  If it fails, we'll try the clean and dry option.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
Seat covers still have a soak through problem. If a couple of drops have been wiped off, there is still resudue. So never assume a seat is clean.

I drop a few drops of hand sanitizer on the seat, wipe it down with a couple of sheets of toilet paper, then I'm good to go.  :)  Even if the sanitizer is supposed to sit for a couple of minutes, it makes me feel better.

I did this when I worked and do it when I travel. Yeah, I'm weird.

Good luck with the sign!

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 10:38:43 PM »
Just today I was in the washroom of an office building, and inside was the sign, "Please clean up after yourself and leave this washroom tidy for others" or something to that effect. I was thinking how pathetic it is that this even needs to be said. Of COURSE I will leave the washroom as I found it; how hard is it? I've been quite capable of using a washroom since I was a toddler, so who ARE these people?

But I know this problem exists. The washroom of an office building I used to work in was usually clean until about 3 PM, but after 3 the middle stall was always disgusting. Always the same stall, always some time mid-afternoon. I wanted to do a stake-out some time and see who it was, but I was busy working.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 10:55:40 PM »
I have that stupid "Meeting in the Ladies Room" song stuck in my head now