Author Topic: Problems in the ladies' room  (Read 26654 times)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Re: Problems in the ladies' room
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
If the flush handle is on the wall lower than the level of the toilet seat and well behind it, I use my foot because it seems to me that's how it was designed to be flushed.

I've never seen those but I agree - that doesn't seem designed to be operated by hand. Obviously, it is not rude to use as it is meant to.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2013, 09:34:10 PM »
Before reading eHell, it never even crossed my mind that someone would use their foot to operate anything designed to be operated by hand.

Who has determined it is supposed to be operated by hand?  It's right down there where it's so easy to use one's foot.  And one has to bend over quite a bit to use one's hand.  And a lot of them are flat and hard to push, making me think they were designed to be used by the foot.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2013, 09:42:01 PM »
Before reading eHell, it never even crossed my mind that someone would use their foot to operate anything designed to be operated by hand.

Who has determined it is supposed to be operated by hand?  It's right down there where it's so easy to use one's foot.  And one has to bend over quite a bit to use one's hand.  And a lot of them are flat and hard to push, making me think they were designed to be used by the foot.

Shoo, are we talking about the same thing? The flush lever is usually quite high on the tank. Like this: http://www.amazonsupply.com/american-standard-4021-800-020-complete-right-hand/dp/B001A0BQQ6

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »

Shoo, are we talking about the same thing? The flush lever is usually quite high on the tank. Like this: http://www.amazonsupply.com/american-standard-4021-800-020-complete-right-hand/dp/B001A0BQQ6

I thought we were talking about the kind you find in most public restrooms, not private bathrooms.  I agree it doesn't make sense to use one's foot on the kind you find in someone's home.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »
So, what do you find in most public bathrooms? This is what I saw when I was in the US.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2013, 10:11:22 PM »
These are the kind of toilets you find in most US public restrooms.  The green part is the flusher.  Shoo maybe you could show a picture of the type of toilet you are talking about.  Since I will wash my hands right afterwards, I will use my hand to push the lever down. 

This image shoes a toilet with an automatic sensor that flushes when you get up.  They also have a button on the side or front in case the sensor doesn't work

Psychopoesie

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
I've never come across a public loo in Australia that has had the flush button or lever close to the floor. Most buttons or levers are set in the wall above the toilet or on top of the cistern (or are like the one pastrygoddess posted). A few older style toilets have chains that you reach up and pull. They all seem designed to be pushed by hand, not by foot.

This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone using their foot to flush.

If it was a pedal type arrangement, I can see why someone would do that. Otherwise, no. It's inconsiderate to other users and risks damaging the toilet.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:49 PM »

Yes this is the kind I meant too. I almost never see a regular home style toilet in a public restroom.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2013, 11:39:28 PM »
If it's at foot level, it's intended to be stepped on. If it's at hand level, it's meant to be used by hand.

Getting rather funny mental images of legions of women doing the Crane Stance to flush.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Psychopoesie

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
If it's at foot level, it's intended to be stepped on. If it's at hand level, it's meant to be used by hand.

Getting rather funny mental images of legions of women doing the Crane Stance to flush.

Same here. Found this when i was searching for a pic of toilets:

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/MjAxMi1iNjIxMmE5NDUyMGY5YjIy

:)

Miss Understood

« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 11:53:36 PM »
When I was in college living in a dorm, there was one toilet seat with footprints on it, every day.  Turned out, that one of the freshman was checking her outfit in the mirror every morning.  It finally stopped after several complaints from the maintenance staff.  And we all knew who was admiring herself every morning.

I'm confused. Why would she need to stand on the toilet seat to look at herself in the mirror?  I've never seen a stall with a mirror in it much less one that would require the person to stand on the seat to see herself.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »
When I was in college living in a dorm, there was one toilet seat with footprints on it, every day.  Turned out, that one of the freshman was checking her outfit in the mirror every morning.  It finally stopped after several complaints from the maintenance staff.  And we all knew who was admiring herself every morning.

I'm confused. Why would she need to stand on the toilet seat to look at herself in the mirror?  I've never seen a stall with a mirror in it much less one that would require the person to stand on the seat to see herself.

My guess is that the mirror was small and high on the wall, so to see herself below the waist she had to open the stall door (i.e. the mirror wasn't in the stall, the stall just faced the be-mirror-ed wall) and stand on the loo, raising herself to the right height?
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2013, 02:59:23 AM »

My guess is that the mirror was small and high on the wall, so to see herself below the waist she had to open the stall door (i.e. the mirror wasn't in the stall, the stall just faced the be-mirror-ed wall) and stand on the loo, raising herself to the right height?

That's exactly correct.  Me and my friends used to do the same thing in Jr. High school.

medowynd

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »
It was a large mirror above the sinks, so she could see herself from the waist up.  To see her skirt or pants, she had to stand on the toilet.

I don't know why she didn't buy a mirror for her bedroom door.  The toilet mirror viewing stopped after maintenance complained.

perpetua

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »
These are the kind of toilets you find in most US public restrooms.  The green part is the flusher.  Shoo maybe you could show a picture of the type of toilet you are talking about.  Since I will wash my hands right afterwards, I will use my hand to push the lever down. 

Goodness, no wonder I was so confused in the other thread when people were talking about flushing with their foot; I've never seen anything like that. In most public toilets here the handles are at hand height, coming out of the wall. Something like this, although this appears to be a particularly posh one:

Sometimes there might be a tank with the handle on it, like a domestic loo, but the handle is almost always half way up the wall like this; I couldn't imagine how it would even be possible to use your foot to flush it unless you were a contortionist.