Author Topic: Problems in the ladies' room  (Read 26759 times)

Carotte

Re: Problems in the ladies' room
« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »
As an industrial designer I must say that barring an entire chain of designer/marketing/makers being absolutely stupid and (never having heard of ergonomic), no one will build something that is intended to be used with a foot more than 4 inches off the ground.
And barring a very high level of everyone being stupid it should never be approved for sale and public use.

That might be how everyone will use it, it doesn't mean it was made that way.
It doesn't mean I think you are wrong to use it that way either, just that it wasn't marketed as such.
Can you imagine trying to pass that on any board of 'let's check this before it's realleased' or 'let's approve this for public use'?

How does a little old lady that's not that steady on he feet anymore do that whitout tumbling down?
How does a little kid or little person do it?

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »

I have to say I'm not really sure why you are fighting me on this so hard. I'm 37 years old. Before e-hell (4-5 years ago?) I never heard of someone flushing a (public wand stye) toilet with their hand. I admit its not a conversation I've had with any sort of frequency but none the less it truly never ever occurred to me. To me, it was just absolutely unconditionally normal and taken for granted that everyone flushed with their foot unless there was some major reason they could not. Its what we did in my elementary school, and junior high and high school. Its what my parents and grandparents and extended family taught me. Its what my friends do. Its just the norm in my experience. I don't know why that statement is shocking or unbelievable or offensive. It simply is what it is. I'm not insulting anyone, or judging anyone. I'm just surprised its not as common place as I believed it to be (although I'm not convinced its not the more popular method - other posters have also said they always flush with their foot).

WillyNilly, I'm almost twice your age and your experience is the same as mine.  I've never known anyone who flushed that type of toilet with their hand.  Isn't it interesting what is so surprising (and apparently disgusting) to some of the people here is totally 100% "normal" to the rest of us to the point that trying to imagine someone flushing with their hand is just ... almost unimaginable.   Not a BAD thing.  Just a new concept!

I'm another one that's never even considered that people flush with their hand.  My mother flushed with her foot, so she taught me to, and since I've never seen anyone flush with their hand, it never entered my mind that anyone would. 
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »

I have to say I'm not really sure why you are fighting me on this so hard. I'm 37 years old. Before e-hell (4-5 years ago?) I never heard of someone flushing a (public wand stye) toilet with their hand. I admit its not a conversation I've had with any sort of frequency but none the less it truly never ever occurred to me. To me, it was just absolutely unconditionally normal and taken for granted that everyone flushed with their foot unless there was some major reason they could not. Its what we did in my elementary school, and junior high and high school. Its what my parents and grandparents and extended family taught me. Its what my friends do. Its just the norm in my experience. I don't know why that statement is shocking or unbelievable or offensive. It simply is what it is. I'm not insulting anyone, or judging anyone. I'm just surprised its not as common place as I believed it to be (although I'm not convinced its not the more popular method - other posters have also said they always flush with their foot).

WillyNilly, I'm almost twice your age and your experience is the same as mine.  I've never known anyone who flushed that type of toilet with their hand.  Isn't it interesting what is so surprising (and apparently disgusting) to some of the people here is totally 100% "normal" to the rest of us to the point that trying to imagine someone flushing with their hand is just ... almost unimaginable.   Not a BAD thing.  Just a new concept!

I'm another one that's never even considered that people flush with their hand. My mother flushed with her foot, so she taught me to, and since I've never seen anyone flush with their hand, it never entered my mind that anyone would.

That's what this thread made me realize.  When we were all kids and were shuffled into the stall with our parent, we learned to flush it the way they did.  After that stage in your life, when are you ever sharing a public toilet stall with a peer?  You don't see how other people flush.  And frankly, aside from a thread like this, how often do you ever give it thought?  Flushing is such an ordinary, every day, habit that isn't going to spur much introspection.  I know I've never had this conversation with any of my friends. 

Maybe I can bring it up next time we get together and just be the life of the party  ;D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2013, 11:46:08 AM »
...   I know I've never had this conversation with any of my friends. 

Maybe I can bring it up next time we get together and just be the life of the party  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Betelnut

« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
This is fascinating.  I'm with the "flush using my hand" crowd.  I cannot imagine using my foot!  It just doesn't look like it was designed to work that way.  It seems unsanitary to me.  It seems awkward.  I wasn't taught to do it that way.  Plus, recently, when I was undergoing chemo, I would have been way too unsteady on my feet to use my foot.

Please foot flushers don't be insulted--I'm just saying that's how I see it!

Very interesting divergence!
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

EllenS

« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »
Field report:  I did try flushing the "wand" style toilet at work with my hand yesterday.

BOY, that felt awkward.  I really felt like I was sticking my head INTO the john in order to reach.  As I mentioned upthread, I was one of those brought up on foot-flushing and never thought of doing otherwise till this thread.  I think keeping one's face as far as possible from the toilet spray may have been the original motivation for the foot flush.

Which brings up another "regional difference" aspect: When I have traveled in Europe and the UK, one of the things I noticed was that the average toilet flush seemed much less strong than in the US.  Over here, you really get a "WHOOSH" and there can sometimes be a lot of overspray.

I traveled to Germany for the first time this year, and saw a rather ingenious arrangement of wall-button flushers : you pushed the top half for a "light" flush, and the bottom for a "strong" flush, depending on what was needed.  I just thought that was so clever and useful, to save water but make sure you can get the job done.

menley

« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
<snip>
I traveled to Germany for the first time this year, and saw a rather ingenious arrangement of wall-button flushers : you pushed the top half for a "light" flush, and the bottom for a "strong" flush, depending on what was needed.  I just thought that was so clever and useful, to save water but make sure you can get the job done.

My flat in Budapest has these on all the toilets and I love it!

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
<snip>

My flat in Budapest has these on all the toilets and I love it!

I'm seeing them more often here in the U.S. too.  I think they're a great idea.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
When in Canada, I was surprised by how deep the water in the bowl was.  There was much more than in UK loos.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #159 on: September 17, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
That's why I always use my foot to flush the toilet and use a paper towel to open the bathroom door.

Excuse me, you use your foot - the foot that was walking around on the bathroom floor - on something most people touch with their hands? That is gross, inconsiderate and rude. You are making everyone that goes after you to unwittingly touch something that is now a lot grosser than it was before you used it.

If you feel that the flush lever is too gross to touch, then use a tissue or toilet paper. Not your foot.

Well, considering that most people have just wiped their private parts before THEY touch the lever, I don't think someone's foot is all that bad.

And everyone is SUPPOSED to immediately wash their hands, so any foot germs will go away along with the pee/poop germs, no?

Most people (around 90%, I believe) are right handed and will use their right hand to wipe themselves. Flush levers are normally installed on the left side of the toilet, which leads most people to automatically use their left hand. I find this an interesting little social manipulation.

I'm definitely not "most people"--I always use my right hand to flush. I use my right hand to do most things. (In fact, at home I use my right hand because I flush as I stand; I use my right hand at work because it needs some strength to push the flushometer lever, and my right arm is stronger).

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #160 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
EllenS,  I have one of those toilets.  Although my buttons are side by side, not top and bottom

Figgie

« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »
My spouse works for a plumbing supply chain.  I told him about this thread and he was interested enough that he talked with the people at work about the standing on the toilet to go and flushing with a foot.

According to what they told him, toilets in the USA are definitely not designed to be stood on and there is a strong likelihood of the toilet breaking from having that done over time.  As for the flushing with a foot...while they aren't specifically designed for that, they are designed to accommodate flushing via the foot. 

When I asked him what that meant, he said that designers definitely know that people flush with their foot as well as their hand and that the handle is designed to handle the increased stress from flushing with a foot...unlike the standing on the toilet, there will be no breakage from flushing with your foot rather than your hand.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #162 on: September 17, 2013, 04:00:31 PM »
There are NEW toilets out with the same horizontal "bar" that some people are saying that they were taught was "meant"
 to be operated with the foot.

The "new" design is that you push it down for a heavy flush when there are waste solids to be disposed of and pull it up when flushing liquids (and a little toilet tissue - which will go down either way).  The heavy flush uses at least twice as much water as the lighter flush...  So now the "you're doing it wrong" critics can add "you're wasting water" to their litany of complaints about people who aren't doing things THEIR way.

And we all know that there are people who probably looked over anyone's shoulder and complain about what they are doing - they just have to complain about something!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »
There are NEW toilets out with the same horizontal "bar" that some people are saying that they were taught was "meant"

The "new" design is that you push it down for a heavy flush when there are waste solids to be disposed of and pull it up when flushing liquids (and a little toilet tissue - which will go down either way).  The heavy flush uses at least twice as much water as the lighter flush...  So now the "you're doing it wrong" critics can add "you're wasting water" to their litany of complaints about people who aren't doing things THEIR way.

And we all know that there are people who probably looked over anyone's shoulder and complain about what they are doing - they just have to complain about something!

I don't understand what your point is. I can still quite easily operate those flushers with my foot in either an up or down motion.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »

I don't understand what your point is. I can still quite easily operate those flushers with my foot in either an up or down motion.

You can but a pregnant woman, an elderly person, someone with joint problems, someone with balance issues, woman in heels, etc, would have problems.