Author Topic: Problems in the ladies' room  (Read 25866 times)

White Lotus

Re: Problems in the ladies' room
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
I come from a hand-flush background and was surprised to learn some people use their feet.  It seems a bit awkward to me, especially in a skirt -- yes, I went out to experiment -- but I think it is a "to each her own" kind of thing. Different isn't bad.  I would think each side could visualize looking at the fixture, trying to figure it out, and saying, "Hmm.  Guess you do it with your (hand/foot)" -- whatever is the opposite of what they personally do -- thus creating a habit set in stone.  I have seen use directions on a wide variety of toilets all over the world, but I have never seen directions for flushing this kind of toilet. 
I now know people put their feet up there.  I doubt it will change my behavior at all.  I note, FTR, that when using the kind of Asian toilet that looks like a urinal standing on its back on or in the ground, with the same kind of flusher, I do use my foot, as it makes logical sense to me to do so. 
I like the large or small flush choices, built in bidets, heated seats, funny flush sounds at the press of a button, and now, the automatic seat cover and flush models.  Plumbing is very interesting these days.

EllenS

« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »
  Plumbing is very interesting these days.

LOL!  More than I ever realized!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
There are NEW toilets out with the same horizontal "bar" that some people are saying that they were taught was "meant"
 to be operated with the foot.

The "new" design is that you push it down for a heavy flush when there are waste solids to be disposed of and pull it up when flushing liquids (and a little toilet tissue - which will go down either way).  The heavy flush uses at least twice as much water as the lighter flush...  So now the "you're doing it wrong" critics can add "you're wasting water" to their litany of complaints about people who aren't doing things THEIR way.

And we all know that there are people who probably looked over anyone's shoulder and complain about what they are doing - they just have to complain about something!

I don't understand what your point is. I can still quite easily operate those flushers with my foot in either an up or down motion.

Maybe you can - but I have tendinitis in my feet (thank you small child running around like a squirrel on crack that I avoided running over in Wal*Mart two years ago - I remember you every time I walk because I bent the middle three toes on my right foot backwards at least 90 degrees (they aren't supposed to go that way) when I rammed my foot into the wheel.  But the kid ran off unscathed with Mom still ignoring it - and my scream of pain while half falling to the floor. 

I no longer use my feet do anything that doesn't have a foot pedal within an inch or so of the floor...I am not into pain.

Moving the pole upward with a foot would probably involve leaning backwards to keep my balance - and many public toilets are in cubicles without enough space in front of the toilet to stand in while leaning backwards.

I've also seen some (in homes and hardware stores) that have a knob on the middle of the tank top that is the flush button - it looked pretty - but I couldn't see how it could be operated with a foot.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »
There are NEW toilets out with the same horizontal "bar" that some people are saying that they were taught was "meant"

The "new" design is that you push it down for a heavy flush when there are waste solids to be disposed of and pull it up when flushing liquids (and a little toilet tissue - which will go down either way).  The heavy flush uses at least twice as much water as the lighter flush...  So now the "you're doing it wrong" critics can add "you're wasting water" to their litany of complaints about people who aren't doing things THEIR way.

And we all know that there are people who probably looked over anyone's shoulder and complain about what they are doing - they just have to complain about something!

I don't understand what your point is. I can still quite easily operate those flushers with my foot in either an up or down motion.

Maybe you can - but I have tendinitis in my feet (thank you small child running around like a squirrel on crack that I avoided running over in Wal*Mart two years ago - I remember you every time I walk because I bent the middle three toes on my right foot backwards at least 90 degrees (they aren't supposed to go that way) when I rammed my foot into the wheel.  But the kid ran off unscathed with Mom still ignoring it - and my scream of pain while half falling to the floor. 

I no longer use my feet do anything that doesn't have a foot pedal within an inch or so of the floor...I am not into pain.

Moving the pole upward with a foot would probably involve leaning backwards to keep my balance - and many public toilets are in cubicles without enough space in front of the toilet to stand in while leaning backwards.

I've also seen some (in homes and hardware stores) that have a knob on the middle of the tank top that is the flush button - it looked pretty - but I couldn't see how it could be operated with a foot.

Mine is like that

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

Mine is like that

Okay - I was at three different places today - a store, a restaurant, and a college.  One had the automatic flush mechanism.  The other two had the horizontal bar (I have no idea if it was the two levels of flush or not).  It was about hip height on me - easier when I was in my twenties and thirties.  I *could* do it - but I don't think that I'll be doing it often - it was just an awkward height.  Now - if it had been a foot lower, it would have been easier to use my foot - but at hip height - I'm going to keep using one hand...

Now if only they made the danged cubicles either a little wider or didn't have the toilet tissue holders at hip height in front of the toilet.  My purse got tangled with the danged thing while I was trying to get it off my shoulder to hang it on the hook on the door and get my clothes out of the way....not much of a delay, but I'd been sitting in the car and I didn't really want to delay things at all.

Getting older means a lot of things aren't as easy as they were when you were in your thirties.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:08 PM »
We have a sign reading "Ladies, Please be respectful of your sisters!  If you make a mess clean it up and leave the place the way you would like it to be if you were using it."

medowynd

« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2013, 12:29:48 AM »
According to a plumbing salesman I spoke too, commercial toilets have an electric pump to move the water faster.  He got a laugh out of my fascination with a toilet attached to the electric.  Fry's Electronics have signs in all of their stalls asking customers not to flush with their foot, because it could damage the toilet.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2013, 07:01:16 AM »
As an industrial designer I must say that barring an entire chain of designer/marketing/makers being absolutely stupid and (never having heard of ergonomic), no one will build something that is intended to be used with a foot more than 4 inches off the ground.
And barring a very high level of everyone being stupid it should never be approved for sale and public use.

That might be how everyone will use it, it doesn't mean it was made that way.
It doesn't mean I think you are wrong to use it that way either, just that it wasn't marketed as such.
Can you imagine trying to pass that on any board of 'let's check this before it's realleased' or 'let's approve this for public use'?

How does a little old lady that's not that steady on he feet anymore do that whitout tumbling down?
How does a little kid or little person do it?

This is kind of what I was thinking. Would a designer design a toilet that a 4 year old child would have difficulties using correctly?

While I can kind of understand why the foot flushers use their feet, it is an alien concept to me, just as my using my hand is to them.

I'm beginning to appreciate the auto-flushing toilets more and more.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »

Yeah, sometimes.

For some reason they don't always work right for me.  Sometimes they randomly flush while I'm still ... uh ... seated, which is startling and sometimes sprays water all over me.  Yet other times when I want them to flush (after I'm standing) they just sit there doing absolutely nothing.  Sometimes if I partially open the door they will flush, but it makes me nervous not knowing which way it's going to go!   :-\

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
I'm hypothyroid - my theory is that my body temperature isn't quite high enough to trigger an infra-red sensor OR that a light sensor might have been knocked askew so it isn't registering my shadow properly.

Because it could not possibly be that I am not casting a shadow.....I accept the reality that I am more solid than I was thirty years ago - make that a larger & more solid person.  It's going to take a HIGH wind to blow me away...and I don't go outside in hurricanes!

Carotte

« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »
I'm hypothyroid - my theory is that my body temperature isn't quite high enough to trigger an infra-red sensor OR that a light sensor might have been knocked askew so it isn't registering my shadow properly.

Because it could not possibly be that I am not casting a shadow.....I accept the reality that I am more solid than I was thirty years ago - make that a larger & more solid person.  It's going to take a HIGH wind to blow me away...and I don't go outside in hurricanes!

A few years ago I had a subway trip where I started wondering if I was still alive and on the same time/space plan as the rest, every sensor door (either pressure or movement sensitive) were  snubbing me. A guy that was making the same 'route' started snickering (not in a bad, making fun of me way) after the third door refusing to open  ::).
I also have auto-flushing ones that don't cooperate but usually triggering it with my hand seems to do the trick. Put it in front of the sensor for 2 sec. and take it away, the light change should trigger it.

Jones

« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:52 PM »
I first hear about foot-flushing about 3-4 years ago. Tried it, didn't care for it. Stalls too small, levers too high, I was too fat at the time. Most of the public toilets in the areas I frequent have the small, high-up knob, or an auto-flush, anyhow. I used to go to Houston regularly and all the toilets there seemed to have the lever sticking out, but they are uncommon in these parts. I will say I was surprised the first time I heard about it, it was a totally alien concept to me.

Rocky Mountain, USA area, here.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »

Yeah, sometimes.

For some reason they don't always work right for me.  Sometimes they randomly flush while I'm still ... uh ... seated, which is startling and sometimes sprays water all over me.  Yet other times when I want them to flush (after I'm standing) they just sit there doing absolutely nothing.  Sometimes if I partially open the door they will flush, but it makes me nervous not knowing which way it's going to go!   :-\

If they don't flush there is usually a small button on the top or side to force it to flush

EllenS

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
My DD1 was terrified by auto-flush toilets while potty training, and she still does not like them.  If she's in a jumpy mood, she will refuse to use them until I cover the sensor with TP so that it doesn't accidentally flush while she's on there. 

Peregrine

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
Hand flusher, west coast.  My mom actually taught me never to use my foot.  She felt it had the potential to damage public facilities....and in her words was acting "precious and prissy".  While I personally wouldn't describe someone that way for flushing with their foot....it is a little irritating to find foot prints, dirt, dried grass, and damp toilet paper stuck to the flush handle.