Author Topic: Accepting favors from an employer/boss  (Read 3956 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Accepting favors from an employer/boss
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »
I would never give or ask for a favor that I couldn't or wouldn't reciprocate.

I'm a boss--the sorts of favors I do for my employees are stuff like letting them go early; rejiggering work around; sometimes running a small errand.

All stuff that I'd be comfortable having them do for me.

Otherwise, no favors.

Whether work or home, actually.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:15 PM »
I'm having a hard time seeing some of these examples as doing an employee a favor.

No interest loans available to any employee who qualifies? That's an employee benefit, not a favor.

Leaving 20 min early to attend a concert? That's saying "thanks for your hard work because I know you'll make it up some other time."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
I'm having a hard time seeing some of these examples as doing an employee a favor.

No interest loans available to any employee who qualifies? That's an employee benefit, not a favor.

Leaving 20 min early to attend a concert? That's saying "thanks for your hard work because I know you'll make it up some other time."

I admit, I am too. To me, favors from a boss are something that maybe aren't "tangible" as in letting you leave a bit early for something, or coming in a little late. 

Other things, such as personal loans or things like that, that are tangible, I don't know if I'd consider them to be favors. I know as I said upthread, i wouldnt' accept anything like that, but to me, they're much more than simple favors, in that they can possibly be used against you in the future.

veronaz

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 04:27:14 PM »

I admit, I am too. To me, favors from a boss are something that maybe aren't "tangible" as in letting you leave a bit early for something, or coming in a little late. 

Other things, such as personal loans or things like that, that are tangible, I don't know if I'd consider them to be favors. I know as I said upthread, i wouldnt' accept anything like that, but to me, they're much more than simple favors, in that they can possibly be used against you in the future.

I think all the things mentioned are favors, to one degree or another, and can be used against a boss (and the employee).

For example, if an employee is exemplary, works hard, hasn’t missed a day, is always punctual, gets along with everyone, etc. etc. and wants to leave 15 minutes early (for whatever reason, it doesn’t matter) they deserve it.  But a boss doesn’t have to allow it.  Their working hours are what they are.

A boss might refuse to allow a mediocre employee to leave early because it would truly disrupt work flow and result others having to cover.  So, it’s “just a few minutes” but it would still create problems.

There can be accusations of favoritism, and sometimes the Boss will pull out the “after all I’ve done for you” card (as we saw in another thread).

As far as loans (low or no interest), unless employee loans and salary advances are an actual policy which is clearly explained upon hiring, I see that as a favor and not a good idea (imo)…..for a lot of reasons.  I’ve never heard of a benefit package which includes paycheck advances/loans. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
I guess a would see a favor from a boss as something that has little to do with my job. Something like picking me up on my way to work would be a favor, or running me to pickup my car from the mechanic, or letting me coming by and feeding my cats while I'm away on vacation. Same scenarios if it was employee doing them for the boss.

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 06:27:49 PM »
I guess a would see a favor from a boss as something that has little to do with my job. Something like picking me up on my way to work would be a favor, or running me to pickup my car from the mechanic, or letting me coming by and feeding my cats while I'm away on vacation. Same scenarios if it was employee doing them for the boss.

I agree with your examples.  Maybe some of the other things are better described as "perks".  But I'm not sure the label matters all that much because they can come back to bite a person or make the employee feel obligated to do things.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »
{snipped}
As far as loans (low or no interest), unless employee loans and salary advances are an actual policy which is clearly explained upon hiring, I see that as a favor and not a good idea (imo)…..for a lot of reasons.  I’ve never heard of a benefit package which includes paycheck advances/loans.

At my last job (large law firm), we were given the opportunity to get a loan from the firm for a down payment on a home.  It was explicitly listed in our benefits package.  I don't remember the details, but it was formalized -- set interest rates, repayment term, had to be used for a home, etc.  But it was considered to be part of our benefit package, so I know it can happen.