A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Car Shopping - Good Review/Comparison Sites?

(1/6) > >>

Outdoor Girl:
Anyone have any suggestions for me?  I'm in Canada, though, so I'm not sure if that matters.

I went to dealerships and saw what was comparable to what I'm driving (Subaru Legacy Wagon).  They don't make it anymore.

Hyundai Tucson
Honda CRV
Toyota Venza
Toyota Rav4
Ford Escape
Nissan Rogue
Mitsubishi RVR
Kia Rondo
Volkswagon Golf Wagon
Mazda CX5
Subaru Forester

I have to get this list down to the Forester and 2 or 3 others then go do the test drives.  I can't get everything I want in any of the vehicles.  If I get the manual transmission I want, I can't get something else I want.  If I go with the automatic transmission, I can't get other things.  And if I go for the models that have everything I want, they have things I don't want, like sun roofs and leather seats.  ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH.   ;)

Edited list with feedback from Consumer Reports

yokozbornak:
I love www.edmunds.com. 

doodlemor:
There was a recent article online about buying a car by emailing back and forth with the salesmen, instead of going through that whole annoying song and dance.  Here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/08/buying_a_car_online_women_should_do_it.html

I'm going to try this next time.  I get so thoroughly exasperated by that whole thing that happens in car dealerships.  Something that I liked about doing this online is that the buyer has time to really think about the offers. 

JenJay:

--- Quote from: doodlemor on August 27, 2013, 08:57:55 PM ---There was a recent article online about buying a car by emailing back and forth with the salesmen, instead of going through that whole annoying song and dance.  Here is the link:

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2013/08/buying_a_car_online_women_should_do_it.html

I'm going to try this next time.  I get so thoroughly exasperated by that whole thing that happens in car dealerships.  Something that I liked about doing this online is that the buyer has time to really think about the offers.

--- End quote ---

DH and I have bought our last two cars this way and I'll never, ever go back to the old way. Once we've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 cars/salesmen we'll go in to test drive and talk final numbers but we still wait until everyone's final offer is in before we make a decision. Make sure you shop around your trade-in as well, if you have one. You may end up paying slightly more for the new car but getting a much better deal on trade so, ultimately, a lesser amount coming out of your pocket. We always negotiate each sale separately and don't let them do that sliding scale where they just shift amounts from one to the other.

AmethystAnne:
My sister and I are absolutely thrilled with our Nissan Rogues. They ride like you're on a cloud. Really good on gas (+/- 25 miles per gallon). The 3 passenger back seat is split and both halves fold down, and I've transported 6foot lengths of wood planks. Last summer, I got a medium-size kitchen base cabinet in the back of the Rogue with the seats folded down. The front seat backs will recline almost horizontal to the floor, if, while travelling, you decide to pull off into a rest stop to catch a few zzzzz's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version