Author Topic: How could that be an okay thing to say?  (Read 5598 times)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: How could that be an okay thing to say?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »
I had to search around some on-line dictionaries to figure out what the 3 letter word was.  I must be rather sheltered!  ...

Back in cave man days (when I was in high school) that three letter word was a slang synonym for a cigarette!

Oh THAT's the word!!! I'd been wondering.

Aside from those coming from areas where that is/was common slang for a cigarette (and used in such context, I can't imagine why anyone would think that was appropriate language anywhere, anytime, much less at work!

I first learned about this word, it's true meaning, as well as how some ideas of strength/masculinity are stereotypical/antiquated in a book I read as a young teen over 20 years ago. It is called A Bundle of Sticks by Pat Mauser McCord, and it is about a boy who has to deal with a bully who thinks he is a sissy and tries to beat him up all the time. The boy learns martial arts, and learns that you can be strong and walk away and it isn't just about being able to beat someone up. I don't know when 'that word' became connected to 'that kind of person,' because it really just means a bundle of sticks. ::)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Yarnspinner

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »
Evil Yarnspinner would say (because it's true) "Gee, coworker, MY sissy (perjorative) pansy cousin IS a hunting and shooting enthusiast.  Maybe the staff are overreacting because using guns will turn you into a sissy (perjorative) pansy!" 

Good Yarnspinner is ashamed that she enjoys trotting that "sissy, pansy" cousin out when stupid people make stupid statements based on equally stupid assumptions.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 01:38:26 AM »
I probably would have said to her, at that moment "Dude, I'm not trying to be the PC police, but that's definitely not something you should say at work."

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 05:58:47 AM »
I think even the initial topic was a bad one for work. It so happened tjat everyone agreed but the truth is it is a hot button issue wrapped in politics and strong feelings.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:27 AM »
Actually, I think your title would fit in there well. Shocked stare, followed by, "How is that an okay thing to say?"

Agreed.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Aquamarine

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:30:21 PM »
"She exclaimed, "It's like they want they to be sissy [3 letter word for a bundle of sticks] pansies!" 

I don't see why you can't use what you said in the title of your thread, "How is that an OK thing to say?"  Then just stare at them expectantly.
Always be polite, even to nasty people. Not because they are nice, but because you are.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
"Did you seriously just say that out loud?"

This can be used in many situations.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 11:10:16 PM »
"Did you seriously just say that out loud?"

This can be used in many situations.

You can also use a variant I like when I'm trying to keep my cool: You just said that. Out loud. Wow.

Vita brevis, ars longa