General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Linkedin newbie

<< < (3/3)

whiskeytangofoxtrot:
You've all given me food for thought- thanks! I've had the thought that recommendations and endorsements were probably more meaningless reciprocal back-scratching than anything, and might not carry much weight. On the other hand, if I saw someone who'd been on LinkedIn for a while and had built up a number of contacts, but had no recommendations and endorsements from any of them, I would probably wonder why.

mimi_cat:

--- Quote from: whiskeytangofoxtrot on September 03, 2013, 12:20:26 PM ---On the other hand, if I saw someone who'd been on LinkedIn for a while and had built up a number of contacts, but had no recommendations and endorsements from any of them, I would probably wonder why.

--- End quote ---

I don't pay any attention to endorsements or recommendations.  In fact, I have my profile set so that endorsements do not display on my profile at all.  I've had too many people "endorse" me for things I don't do.  I do have a number of connections that are not former co-workers;  I am on the board of a large local professional organization and many people "know" me that way. 

I also think recommendations are kind of meaningless.  Recruiters aren't going to put any weight in them - if they need a reference to hire you they will call someone directly, not view it on your linked in page. 

Morticia:
You can refuse endorsements for skills you don't have. I have done this in the past.

TootsNYC:
I don't worry if there are no recommendations for someone. I've written them for people, and it's a pain in the neck. There are many great professionals that I'm linked to, but I haven't written them a recommendation.

If you *want* a recommendation of them from me, feel free to email me and say, "I see you worked with her--what can you tell me about her?"

Then again, if there is a recommendation, I take it somewhat seriously, since I know what a pain it is to put it on there. If it's someone who has actually worked with them, it carries some weight.

(And, of all the ones that were about people I personally knew, they were accurate to my own knowledge of them, so statistically speaking, I trust the actual written recommendation pretty much. As much as I trust anything.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version