Author Topic: This would be a great time for "I'm afraid that won't be possible", isn't it?  (Read 3173 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Hey all,

You know you've been on Ehell for a loooong time when you are actually excited when a situation arises and you get to "practice" one of the stock phrases  ;D (or maybe I'm just strange).

Here goes:  About a month from now, there is a big convention in my home city, about 150+.  About three of us, including me, are locals; the rest will be driving or flying in.   Since the other locals actually live about 1/2 hour from downtown hotel where the convention will be held, and I am closer, I ordered the visitor's bags with maps, brochures, etc.  That will be done by the middle of next month.  I thought this was a great contribution and one that didn't take much time (there will be a bag-stuffing party at the hotel closer to the event).

Now it happens that I get an email from another local, saying "Hey, do you know any good florists, and can you call around for prices on corsages and boutonnieres and get back with me?  I don't have time for that .  Thanks for the help!"  >:(

First of all, I'm trying every day to keep my kids on track with their schooling.  I'm also job-hunting, and sub teaching any day I can get work.  I'm making big changes in my personal habits at home (like the decluttering thread), and just...no.   This is a challenging time for me.

Would it be piggish to say something like "Local, I'm not familiar with local florists, but *large grocery store florist* should be more than sufficient.  This is a really busy time for me, and I don't want to take on any more commitments.   Hope you understand!  Sincerely, gui".

Minmom3

Less is more.  "Sorry, I don't have the time for that."
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

guihong

• Super Hero!

Well, that was easy :).  I said "Sorry, Local, I don't have the time for that", as Minmom said, and got the reply "OK, no problem".

I don't like "No problem", but hey, I did it :).  If I could just stifle the voice in my head saying, "But without you, there won't be any flowers" or "You know, you could have done this, you waste too much time anyway", and the like  >:(

Nikko-chan

Well, that was easy :).  I said "Sorry, Local, I don't have the time for that", as Minmom said, and got the reply "OK, no problem".

*hands you the big red and shiny easy button* Great job, Guihong!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It

Well done! I think your other suggestion about the local store made it sound like you were willing to take on the task of getting flowers just not the task of calling around. Now you are off the hook for any part of the task.