Author Topic: I can't sit by you because your son is sick!  (Read 4859 times)

MOM21SON

I can't sit by you because your son is sick!
« on: August 29, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »
My son was sick, he had the flu.  Saw the doctor on Monday and started medication.  He is feeling much better.  I did not keep it a secret that he was sick, in fact the Dr told me to let his school and friends know.

Tuesday I returned to work and everything was fine until my coworker came in.  She actually yelled, "I am not sitting by you!  Your son is sick and you should be home instead of spreading germs."  Everyone went  ???

That is fine if she doesn't want to sit by me, BUT to stand 6 feet away and yell to ask me a question is not. (she did this several times during the day)

Today when she came in she was heavily using the sanitizing wipes and the supervisor told her that she was using too many and the smell was causing problems.  So she told the super that I was the one causing problems.

Now she is sending me FB messages saying she hopes I am not mad.

I am not mad, per say, I just think it could have been handled a different way.

I was thinking I should just respond back and say, "I am not mad."

kckgirl

Re: I can't sit by you because your son is sick!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
I would not reply at all.
Maryland

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »
don't respond.  She's making herself look like a fool. Let her continue :)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
I would be mad!  You aren't showing any symptoms or bringing your son to work with you.  She is being a donkey..I would ignore her FB messages.

MOM21SON

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 05:55:14 PM »
I would be mad!  You aren't showing any symptoms or bringing your son to work with you.  She is being a donkey..I would ignore her FB messages.

Trust me, my whole department is having fun with this.  I am not participating or encouraging in anyway.

LEMon

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
She's trying to make you respond to her to make her feel ok.  Don't.  Her actions are leading to her worries.  Let her change her actions, not feel you approve.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
Your co-irker is a moron.

I hope your son is better soon.

MrTango

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:17:02 PM »
Don't respond.  Just block her on FB.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 08:43:44 PM »
Ignore. eventually it will die down. but really? who does that? I have certain CWs i can joke with, but i'd never bug anyone at work if someone in their family was sick, and they came in.

last winter, after the holidays, i came back to my PT job and everyone was sick. Except me and another woman. we joked we would now be using "eau de lysol" and i jokingly said to a couple of my friends there, "don't come near me, don't breath near me, don't get in my bubble" but they knew i was being funny, and weren't offended. but someone i didn't know well, No.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:06 PM »
My son was sick, he had the flu.  Saw the doctor on Monday and started medication.  He is feeling much better.  I did not keep it a secret that he was sick, in fact the Dr told me to let his school and friends know.

Tuesday I returned to work and everything was fine until my coworker came in.  She actually yelled, "I am not sitting by you!  Your son is sick and you should be home instead of spreading germs."  Everyone went  ???

That is fine if she doesn't want to sit by me, BUT to stand 6 feet away and yell to ask me a question is not. (she did this several times during the day)

Today when she came in she was heavily using the sanitizing wipes and the supervisor told her that she was using too many and the smell was causing problems.  So she told the super that I was the one causing problems.

Now she is sending me FB messages saying she hopes I am not mad.

I am not mad, per say, I just think it could have been handled a different way.

I was thinking I should just respond back and say, "I am not mad."

As Barney Fife would say, "She's a nut."

PeterM

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »
Trust me, my whole department is having fun with this.  I am not participating or encouraging in anyway.

Well there's your problem. From now on wherever you go in the office you should yell,

"'ware ahead! I have... THE POX!!!"

missmolly

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 11:23:50 PM »
I wouldn't respond, like other PP's have said, she's probably realised what a childish donkey's behind she's been and wants absolution from you.
"Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out". Chekhov.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »

Well there's your problem. From now on wherever you go in the office you should yell,

"'ware ahead! I have... THE POX!!!"

"Hope you're all wearing your garlic!" *followed by evil laughter of your choice!* would be fun, too.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Steve

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 05:53:47 AM »
put a little sign on your cubicle stating "leprosy colony" would be too harsh  ?

Alias

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 06:00:24 AM »
Ignore. eventually it will die down. but really? who does that? I have certain CWs i can joke with, but i'd never bug anyone at work if someone in their family was sick, and they came in.

last winter, after the holidays, i came back to my PT job and everyone was sick. Except me and another woman. we joked we would now be using "eau de lysol" and i jokingly said to a couple of my friends there, "don't come near me, don't breath near me, don't get in my bubble" but they knew i was being funny, and weren't offended. but someone i didn't know well, No.

It was like this in my office earlier this year - everyone was sick but me. I joked that I was going to call in healthy.  I didn't want their germs, and it was better for the company for just me to be off than have all of them home sick :)

OP, don't reply to the post.  Ignore and let her feel like the idiot she is.