A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Is David Letterman really funny?

<< < (2/3) > >>

menley:
None of my friends find him amusing either, we've always wondered how he's stayed on the air as long as he has!

Thipu1:
I don't find Letterman particularly funny, but then, I've been a fan of British humor since the days of 'Beyond the Fringe'. 

Sharnita:
I don't know that he is even supposed to be "funny" so much as edgy or inexpecyed.

Two Ravens:
The Late Show really isn't any funnier than any of the other late night variety shows. It has had some funny bits, but it really depends on the night (Dave's mood, the political topics, the guest, etc.).

Letterman famously does not prepare for any of the interviews he does, other than read the rudimentary notes he is given. The last time I watched was when Benedict Cumberbatch was on promoting "Star Trek." One of the first questions Dave asked was, "So, have you ever been in a movie before?"

:P

He has been hilarious in the past. I remember (and this is going back 15+ years) he had a bit where he worked the drive-through window at a Taco Bell. I laughed until I had tears streaming down my face.

Bashful:
Thanks everybody for your answers.

--- Quote from: Two Ravens on August 30, 2013, 11:00:29 AM ---The Late Show really isn't any funnier than any of the other late night variety shows.

--- End quote ---
So this is how a late night variety show supposed to be? I've never seen any of them, so I didn't know whether it was average or not. I guess I put too much expectation into it (A Real American Show!!!).

--- Quote from: Two Ravens on August 30, 2013, 11:00:29 AM ---Letterman famously does not prepare for any of the interviews he does, other than read the rudimentary notes he is given.

--- End quote ---
Really? I was feeling the opposite, as if he had a list of questions and delivered them without paying much attention to the back and forth with the guest. :)
I'm not bugged by the occasional foot in mouth (like the Cumberbatch one) as much as the apparent lack of interest towards whatever topic the guest is talking about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version