Author Topic: Is David Letterman really funny?  (Read 1623 times)

Bashful

Is David Letterman really funny?
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
Dear E-hellions, I live in Europe and recently had the chanche to watch several episodes of "The Late Show"on tv. I was pretty excited because the only US tv show we get to watch is the Oscars night. So, I thought the Late Show was some kind of amazing night show, since local tv producers bothered to buy it and broadcast it.
Instead, I was...meh. The top ten is fine and the guests are always big names, but Letterman himself? Looks like he delivers his lines poorly, to me.
Is it just me? Am I not getting his humor? Is it a US thing (just like non-British people can find hard to get British humor)? Is it actually Letterman not so funny?

MorgnsGrl

Re: Is David Letterman really funny?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
I'm American and I don't think he's funny. I far prefer Jon Stewart. To be fair, though, I find British humor much more to my taste so I'm probably not the best representative.  :P

Jones

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »
I don't care at all for Letterman either.

--American

Redwing

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:16:43 AM »
I find him mildly amusing at times.  I think he's overrated.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »
I never found him amusing.  As far as I'm concerned he's a jerk.

menley

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
None of my friends find him amusing either, we've always wondered how he's stayed on the air as long as he has!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »
I don't find Letterman particularly funny, but then, I've been a fan of British humor since the days of 'Beyond the Fringe'. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
I don't know that he is even supposed to be "funny" so much as edgy or inexpecyed.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
The Late Show really isn't any funnier than any of the other late night variety shows. It has had some funny bits, but it really depends on the night (Dave's mood, the political topics, the guest, etc.).

Letterman famously does not prepare for any of the interviews he does, other than read the rudimentary notes he is given. The last time I watched was when Benedict Cumberbatch was on promoting "Star Trek." One of the first questions Dave asked was, "So, have you ever been in a movie before?"

:P

He has been hilarious in the past. I remember (and this is going back 15+ years) he had a bit where he worked the drive-through window at a Taco Bell. I laughed until I had tears streaming down my face.

Bashful

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:22 PM »
Thanks everybody for your answers.
The Late Show really isn't any funnier than any of the other late night variety shows.
So this is how a late night variety show supposed to be? I've never seen any of them, so I didn't know whether it was average or not. I guess I put too much expectation into it (A Real American Show!!!).

Letterman famously does not prepare for any of the interviews he does, other than read the rudimentary notes he is given.
Really? I was feeling the opposite, as if he had a list of questions and delivered them without paying much attention to the back and forth with the guest. :)
I'm not bugged by the occasional foot in mouth (like the Cumberbatch one) as much as the apparent lack of interest towards whatever topic the guest is talking about.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 12:20:49 PM »
Letterman has been doing late night tv for decades.  To me, he seems a lot more "tired" and less funny than he used to be.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
Letterman has been doing late night tv for decades.  To me, he seems a lot more "tired" and less funny than he used to be.

I agree. I used to really enjoy him but the last time I tried to watch the show I told DH "It's like he's begging for them to make him retire."

I love Jon Stewart and Conan when he's not running a lame skit into the ground.