Author Topic: Baseball caps in an interview  (Read 9806 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Baseball caps in an interview
« on: August 30, 2013, 09:07:49 AM »
Person interviewing me was wearing a t-shirt, jeans, sneakers and a ball cap.  No, I wasn't interviewing at a fast food location, where hats would be uniform.  No, I wasn't interviewing at a sports center (gift shop, grounds crew, Major League Baseball shortstop).  No, I wasn't interviewing for a role in the trades (construction, plumbing, HVAC) or day labor (lawn maintenance, moving).  I was interviewing for a management job at in Information Technology at a major healthcare corporation.

Jeans aren't that uncommon in IT, but I was offended by the baseball cap. 

My recruiter and I were both a little surprised to learn that the role wasn't for a day shift, so I turned down the position, but the hat has been continuing to annoy me.  The man was probably around 35 and really should have known better.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

SCMagnolia

Re: Baseball caps in an interview
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
That would seem a bit odd to me, too.  Baseball caps aren't really the norm in an office setting.

Even if it's casual Friday or cleaning-out-the-office Wednesday, if someone is conducting an interview, they need to realize they are representing their company.  You can read a lot about a company from the interview and the interviewer, and if someone so lax in their professional appearance would interview me, one of my first impressions about the company would that they were very laid back and maybe even unprofessional.  Depending on the industry, that can be a very difficult environment in which to work.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »
I would fimd it odd too but in most cases the interviewer holds the cards so getting offended would not be very productive. You could decide it wasn't the environ,ent for you or you could decide you need the job and in the grand scheme of things it is no big deal.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
Different strokes for different folks.  As long as he acts professional, knowledgeable, and respectful, I welcome an interviewer in casual dress.  I'm terrible at interviews and I think that situation would relax me.  I, for one, get a lot of work done when I dress down.

But if you are offended, at least you know that's not the place for you.  He wouldn't have to "know better" for someone like me because I would love it ;D.

Lynnv

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »
It wouldn't be normal in any interview I have been in, but I can't see how it is offensive or rude.  It is probably a good indicator, since you were put off by it, that it would not be the right fit for you.  Since determining fit is part of what an interview is about, it seems like a good thing to me.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
If you have any interest at all in traditional etiquette, men do not wear non-religious or non-job-related headgear inside.

Unless he had a religious reason to wear a baseball cap, or he suddenly expected to be beaned with a fly ball, he was being very rude.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SlitherHiss

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 12:33:49 PM »
Eh. Maybe it was part of corporate culture at that particular office. Or, like an old boss of mine, he might have had something done to his scalp (It was laser treatment to remove some pre-cancerous splotches, in his case) and thought exposing the area or showing off his bandage would be rude. My boss spent a week wearing a hat to work, and it was no big deal.

I totally get being put off by it, especially in an interview situation, but I don't think we can quite call it "rude" without more information.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »
IDK, I work in software and super casual is pretty common, including baseball caps/flip flops/jeans. It is considered a perk, like free snacks/drinks and flex time. I don't see it as rude to take advantage of an offered perk.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
Well, if we consider "rude" to be "completely against traditional etiquette," it's rude.

It's not rude in the "intentionally showing disrespect" aspect, but it's like eating your peas off your knife at a formal dinner.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

White Lotus

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
Twik is right.  Unless it is religious or job-related, polite men do not wear hats indoors.  This smacks of costume (he thinks it makes him fit some image he has) and to me indicates an insecure guy who is probably also losing his hair.  Personally, unless actually job related, or maybe in some outdoor sports, I hate baseball caps on men even more than I hate them on women.  Ugly!  Unflattering!  But then, like most women, I don't mind balding or bald.  Minding it, in my circles, at least, seems more like a guy thing.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »
I remember reading a story about a wounded veteran in WWII. He was finally well enough to leave the hospital for short periods, and asked one of the nurses out to dinner.

His injuries included a horrible wound to the back of his head. He'd lost most of his hair, and scar tissue was still red and raw-looking, so he wore his hat to conceal it at the restaurant.

Finally, the nurse asked him why he didn't take his hat off, and he explained he thought she'd not want to be seen in public with someone with such horrible scars on his head.

She replied, "I'm honoured to be seen in public with a soldier, whatever his wounds. But I'll be darned if I'll be seen in public with a man who doesn't know enough to take off his hat indoors."

He removed his hat, and found that he never really worried about the scars afterwards.

Library Dragon

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 01:24:27 PM »
Eh. Maybe it was part of corporate culture at that particular office. Or, like an old boss of mine, he might have had something done to his scalp (It was laser treatment to remove some pre-cancerous splotches, in his case) and thought exposing the area or showing off his bandage would be rude. My boss spent a week wearing a hat to work, and it was no big deal.

I totally get being put off by it, especially in an interview situation, but I don't think we can quite call it "rude" without more information.

POD

I too REALLY dislike baseball hats indoors.  Without knowing the why I wouldn't jump to calling it "rude." 

The reality is, if the interviewer wants to wear a speedo to conduct the interview he can.  I would consider it inappropriate work wear and rude in an office setting.  As long as its not illegal he holds the cards in the interview process.  I have the choice to accept or not accept a job offer at that company.  Company culture is part of the decision making process. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Twik is right.  Unless it is religious or job-related, polite men do not wear hats indoors.  This smacks of costume (he thinks it makes him fit some image he has) and to me indicates an insecure guy who is probably also losing his hair.  Personally, unless actually job related, or maybe in some outdoor sports, I hate baseball caps on men even more than I hate them on women.  Ugly!  Unflattering!  But then, like most women, I don't mind balding or bald.  Minding it, in my circles, at least, seems more like a guy thing.

Actually, you are allowed to wear a hat indoors for certain buildings—malls, public buildings, etc.

Some people just like hats. I don't think it's about insecurity or some sort of costume. (For the record, I hate wearing hats :P)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:28:23 PM by Cat-Fu »
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

SlitherHiss

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 01:31:14 PM »

Actually, you are allowed to wear a hat indoors for certain buildings—malls, public buildings, etc.

More to the point, etiquette changes with time. Corporate Culture (as a whole) is far different than it was even 10-15 years ago. Corporate Dress Standards are also highly variable I've got a relative who works for a mega software corporation. It is totally and completely accepted for people to dress in jeans and fun t-shirts or Hawaiian shirts on a daily basis, and for men and women to wear hats.

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
I wouldn't jump to conclusions right away. When I interviewed for my job I was surprised because my now-boss was wearing jeans and a Hawaiian shirt like it was a beach party! Turns out it was a themed casual Friday. You can't always tell from one meeting.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??