Author Topic: Baseball caps in an interview  (Read 7998 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: Baseball caps in an interview
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 02:51:01 PM »
OP here -- it was an IT job in a healthcare company.  I was expecting corporate casual, which I don't consider t-shirts with your favorite sports team (who was not even playing that day) or a ball cap anything other than casual.  They were interviewing the final 4 people and I was the last.  By the time they got to me, they were running over an hour late. So, it's not like Captain Cap was running in late from an offsite meeting that would get him grundgy (as IT jobs can do). The other interviewers (in the same room) were in corporate casual (khakis and button downs).  Others in the building were in traditional corporate casual.  Patients in the lobby were better dressed than Captain Cap and I saw at least two lab coated individuals in ties.

I was offered the position today, but I opted to turn it down.  (It wasn't just the cap.  There was a discrepancy in the job description (amount of travel and weekend work) that really caused me concern.)  I just found the cap to be inappropriate in a corporate environment and I always was taught that it was rude for a man to leave his hat on while indoors, especially when a lady (me and another interviewer) was present.

Formerly Mrs.Bart

MrTango

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »
When I interviewed at Evil Insurance Company, I remember that the Admin who welcomed me and brought me to the interview room was dressed rather nicely (slacks, nice sweater).  After she left, the hiring manager came in.  He was dressed in a slightly ratty t-shirt & jeans with rips in both knees.

I got the job and took it.  Lasted 5 years through 3 big bosses, all of whom had differing ideas as to the level of dress in the office.  Still, at no time did the dress code include torn jeans... ::)

Frostblooded

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
I would have been thrilled!  ;D

This would mean that either I get to wear comfortable clothes in the future on the job or that they had a casual day or something similar. Sounds like an awesome deal to me.

deadbody

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
As a man who wears a baseball hat almost constantly I can't understand the distaste being tossed about towards them.  I have bad hair, not balding, just doesn't really do what I want it to without a ton of gel, and since I hate to do that, if I am not working I will wear a hat as often as possible.

If I worked at a job that allowed them I would very likely wear it during interviews.  I won't remove it just because you are a lady, that would be sexist of me.  You are an applicant like any other.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
  I think a company can included baseball caps are part of its acceptable dress code , so that would void the "it rude for men to wear hats indoors rule".   If the company wants that "we're casual , we're a fun place to work" vibe they can make that choice I don't think it makes them rude.  Especially if it was a company baseball hat.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
My company has "sports Friday" where you are allowed to wear a tshirt/jersey/cap for your favorite sports teams.  You're encouraged to wear the accessories of a sport that's currently being played (so football and baseball right now), but it's not required.  I wouldn't be at all offended if my boss or a hiring manager interviewed wearing something along those lines.  My old boss interviewed me wearing a college football tshirt, jeans and sneakers!  My new boss consistently comes to work wearing shoes with holes in them.  I don't think it's a sign of disrespect - more that there are more important things at work to focus on than dress. 

White Lotus

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
Deadbody, they are not flattering to anybody I have ever seen them on.  They change the outline of the head and face, and not in a good way.  IMO, of course.  You apparently like the way you look in it.  I haven't met you IRL, so I can't say.  I also can't change the actual etiquette rule and in this forum, where people are very quick to cling to tradition, I am surprised that the no hats inside (with certain specific exceptions) rule is being so lightly tossed aside.  If companies want to issue those hats and make/allow the wearing of them, I guess that is their business.  I still don't like them, i still find them unflattering, and I still prefer the classic rule.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:35 AM »
As a man who wears a baseball hat almost constantly I can't understand the distaste being tossed about towards them.  I have bad hair, not balding, just doesn't really do what I want it to without a ton of gel, and since I hate to do that, if I am not working I will wear a hat as often as possible.

If I worked at a job that allowed them I would very likely wear it during interviews.  I won't remove it just because you are a lady, that would be sexist of me.  You are an applicant like any other.

You're not supposed to just remove it for women. You are supposed to remove it, period, when you are inside.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jmarvellous

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
At my first "real" job, almost all the people in my department wore caps almost all the time (along with shorts, sandals or sneakers, and logo T-shirts). It was practically part of the dress code. What was the job? Sports editing! We were never 'in the field' (those people wore business casual to games or interviews, as did our managers), so there wasn't an excuse. There was one other woman in my department, and she dressed in the same fashion as the majority of the guys (whereas I wore whatever I felt like on a given day, with the exception of shorts or spaghetti straps, which was my self-imposed dress code).
Men in other departments wore caps on occasion, but it wasn't common except if they were balding.

In other words, it wouldn't occur to me to be "offended" by this, though it might be odd depending on the exact work environment.

SoCalVal

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
I might think it odd, but I wouldn't care and wouldn't be offended.  I was once being interviewed by a COO who was wearing a Looney Tunes denim button down shirt.  She apologized for how she was dressed (it was a casual Friday), but I didn't care how she was dressed as she was the boss (I was wearing a suit and heels).  We were in the administrative office of a large multi-site private medical practice.  To me, it matters more what the applicant is wearing (I once had an applicant show up wearing khaki pants, a henley shirt and canvas slip-on shoes; she also thought she was a shoo-in for being hired since she'd had the job years prior so she was also attitudinal towards me...she didn't get the job and, for one, the interviewer didn't care for how she was dressed).

Cami

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2013, 11:37:14 PM »
Unless I were interviewing at Footlocker or some other sport-related or non-professional position, I'd find an interviewer wearing a baseball cap or torn jeans to be a little off-putting.  It just seems to me that even if that's normal work attire, an interview is usually a more formal occasion and better clothes should be worn or at least the darn hat should come off. I also think it's slightly disrespectful to the interviewee who has probably dressed up in acknowledgement of the importance of the occasion. TBH, I'd also probably think that I was wasting my time in this interview because they'd already chosen another candidate if the interviewer couldn't even take off his baseball cap.

On the other side of the table, if someone came to interview for a position with a baseball cap on, I wouldn't even bother to start the interview because I'm not going to hire that person.

delabela

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 11:41:33 PM »
I can't stand to see a hat indoors - to me, taking the hat off is just one little nod toward civility.  When someone wears one inside, I just feel like they are counting down the time until they get to wander off and do something else.  I don't know that it offends me, but it's certainly something I would be surprised by in an interview. 

This does not apply to hats worn for religious or medical purposes, of course. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2013, 12:03:12 AM »
Perhaps that's the point, to throw the interviewer out of his/her comfort zone.  We're used to a certain "look" at a corporate interview, and a baseball cap obviously is different.  Maybe the aim is to see who doesn't get flustered by it.

delabela

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 01:00:55 AM »
Could be, guihong.  Although it seems a fairly subtle way to do that!

nayberry

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 05:55:59 AM »
whilst i'd maybe think it odd to be interviewed by someone wearing a baseball cap i'd be far more worried that i was dressed appropriately.

i have a standard interview outfit of smart top, black slacks and if cold out a dogtooth pattern jacket with a scarf,  i can't wear a suit as i have problems with the jackets iykwim ;)