Author Topic: What to Serve Them?  (Read 1680 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
What to Serve Them?
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »
Some relatives are taking a vacation and will be stopping off to visit MIL next week.  They'll be arriving after lunch and staying only a few hours before continuing on their journey.  They won't be staying for dinner. 

MIL is in a bit of a dither about what to serve them.  We suggested that tea and cookies or pound cake would be fine.  MIL doesn't feel that's enough.

Any suggestions?   

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: What to Serve Them?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:04:53 AM »
I think tea and cookies or pound cake would be fine.  Add some cheese and grapes, if she's really concerned.  That would cover all the bases, if some of them don't want sweets.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:26:27 AM »
Light refreshments sounds perfect, considering the visit will be between meal times. Outdoor Girl hit it perfectly - add something not sweet to balance it out (cheese, very light finger sandwiches or something similar). I would think along the lines of a light afternoon tea. If she is afraid it will seem ungracious, suggest that she increase quality, serving premium cookies and specialty tea, for example.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Maybe some antipasti or mezze type things? I'm thinking olives, bread, dips, that kind of thing, plus a bit of cake. She really doesn't need more than the cake, but if she feels like doing a little extra then that would be nice.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »
Does she have one of those divided serving platters? Those are perfect. (Like this: http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/28723-chefs-divided-serving-bowl.aspx or this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QhUM1A0vYlQ/UQXgHnYWtQI/AAAAAAAABJU/GXOeCNkQ2w8/s400/Pyrex+Opal+White+&+Blue+.jpg)

I have the ones that are two halves and I like to put out two, savory and sweet. So in one, any combo of olives, nuts, carrot sticks, or cheese. The other cookies and chocolates. If they have 3 or more compartments, all the better. And if she wants to get a bit fancier or more substantial in the offerings she could even add oven appetizer type stuff like mini egg rolls, or finger food size dumplings, or "pigs in a blanket".

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
I'd add some fruit and cheese, and that should be plenty.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sweetonsno

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 12:27:08 AM »
Agree with the savorily inclined. I'd be all over crackers and cheese.

Oh Joy

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »
What are the guests' demographics, and what kind of travelling are they doing?  I keep thinking an icy cold pitcher of fresh lemonade sounds refreshing.  Maybe with some ginger cookies.  And water crackers with a soft creamy cheese.

Hungry...must get breakfast.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  All were good.

MIL's visitors were a nephew and his wife.  They were going from their vacation house in Vermont to their main home in Baltimore.  The visit was about two hours and all went well.

MIL served the tea and cake...and crackers & cheese...and fruit...and nuts...and pate...and salmon salad...and...assorted juices.

That's my MIL. 

Curious Cat

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 10:25:07 AM »

MIL's visitors were a nephew and his wife.  They were going from their vacation house in Vermont to their main home in Baltimore.  The visit was about two hours and all went well.

MIL served the tea and cake...and crackers & cheese...and fruit...and nuts...and pate...and salmon salad...and...assorted juices.

That's my MIL.

Aww, I think that is sweet and very much "old world" hospitality.

sweetonsno

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:11 AM »

That's my MIL.

Aww, I think that is sweet and very much "old world" hospitality.

I agree. I want to be a guest at her house!