Etiquette School is in session! > "What an interesting assumption."

Wanted to say this, but knew it wasn't appropriate.

(1/7) > >>

Nikko-chan:
I was at work the other day eating my lunch. Lunch consisted of falafel (yes this is relevant).

In fifteen minutes I got asked by no less than three people. "What is that?"

"falafel," said i.

"What is that?"

I launched into a quick explanation each and every time.

"Oh! So you're a vegetarian then!"

I just kinda looked at them funny. "Nope."

By the third time, I was tempted to say "What an interesting assumption." But I held my tongue, knowing it wouldn't be appropriate. I am just tired of explaining that no I am not a vegetarian and would you people just stop!

Anyone else have similar stories? Anything better I can say other than "No" especially to the one person who kept insisting that because I  was eating falafel I must have been a vegetarian.

Lorelei_Evil:
I eat falafel because I have a near addiction to any and all forms of chickpea. 

I go with the complete silence response, quirked eyebrow optional.  I have to hold my tongue due to its tendency to bolt like a frightened horse when I'm irritated.

veronaz:
I think it's rude to keep questioning someone when they are trying to eat/enjoy a meal, particularly during a lunch break at work when time is limited.

I might say what the dish is, then "could you excuse me?"

Tea Drinker:
I tend to say "I'm not a vegetarian, I just like vegetables," which has the advantages of being true and not defensive. I'm not talking about whether they're good for me, or whether I think I should eat more vegetables, I'm sticking to the fact that I am eating a salad because that particular day, I want a salad, or I'm eating sweet potato fries because I really really like sweet potatoes.

Danika:

--- Quote from: Tea Drinker on September 01, 2013, 12:15:57 AM ---I tend to say "I'm not a vegetarian, I just like vegetables," which has the advantages of being true and not defensive. I'm not talking about whether they're good for me, or whether I think I should eat more vegetables, I'm sticking to the fact that I am eating a salad because that particular day, I want a salad, or I'm eating sweet potato fries because I really really like sweet potatoes.

--- End quote ---

That's a good response.

I, too, like falafel and hummus. But I'm generally a beef eater. I, personally, would have found the 'you must be a vegetarian' comment hilarious because it's rare that I'm not eating meat. I would have chuckled and said "ha! You caught me at a rare moment when I was not eating meat."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version